PDA

View Full Version : P2V Which engine to start first?

ntopolos
22nd Jun 2012, 18:31
I remember as a fire guard in the late fifties that the pilot would start the engine on his side first. I watched a couple of Youtube videos of fire bombers being started and they would start the co-pilots side first. The plug for the APU was also in a safer spot on the rear fuselage. There must be a valid reason.

kharmael
22nd Jun 2012, 19:09
Maybe they would start the engine opposite the door to allow for continued ingress and egress during engine start or any ensuing fire/ emergency and the relative position to the pilots is irrelevant?

Genuine Question...

Sloppy Link
22nd Jun 2012, 19:36
Normally No 1 engine on a odd day and No 2 on an even day.

Rosevidney1
23rd Jun 2012, 18:53
I have referred to the Flight Manual for the type. Somewhat to my surprise I see either engine could be started first.

Shannon volmet
23rd Jun 2012, 21:52
When I was a humble ground engineer with Transmeridian, the CL-44 crews always started the No.2 engine first. This was because No.2 engine was designated as the master engine, and all the aircraft systems could be run from this engine, a useful thing when down route in deepest darkest Africa.

This may have just been company policy, as I have seen other CL-44's from other airlines use a different starting sequence.

Mike.

P.S. The Swingtail bash is on at the R.A.F. club on the 29th & 30th (Next week end).

sycamore
23rd Jun 2012, 23:08
If you have multiple engines,start an inboard first,; if you have a fire ,it is easier to get to by starter crew; ie ,no outboards to get close to..

ntopolos
24th Jun 2012, 00:00
It also may have been squadron (VP-1) policy. When I watched the fire bomber starting it engines on youtube, I saw the ground crew unplug the APU (?) power plug on the left rear fuselage. Maybe they start the RH engine first, then unplug power without the prop-wash. I remember (50 years ago) the plug in the nose wheel area. Thanks for you ideas