PDA

View Full Version : Converting a Canadian PPL into a JAR PPL

darkstar_45
1st Apr 2002, 19:42
Is this possible as I am looking a doing my PPL in Canada due to cost, then converting to JAR licence ?

If so what do I have to do and how much approx would it cost to convert?

Cheers

Jetgate
1st Apr 2002, 22:18
You will have to complete-

1. Another Flight Test

Then depending on your hours...............

2 (a). All seven written's (I think if you have LESS than 100 Hrs)

2(b). Three written exams (again I think, if you have 100+ Hrs)

The Canadian PPL will be treated as an ICAO licence and therefore no special deals. Is there ever???

You should read the current thread which is some thing like 'The end of JAA PPL's in the US' as it has a lot of good info regarding conversion. However, do disregard the slanging match which is in full swing!

Also look at -

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8131

All the best.

SpinSpinSugar
2nd Apr 2002, 10:48
Hi Jetgate,

With reference to that long JAA/FAA slanging match currently ongoing on the other thread (I think I'll stay out of that one) - in the long run isn't that just going to benefit other nations outside the EU who's licenses are good for PPL flying in the UK?

Darkstar, if you’re just looking to gain a license in Canada with which to fly day VFR in the UK I don’t think there is any need to convert at all. Please correct me if I'm wrong (anybody), but there is no need to convert a Canadian license for day VFR and I've hired G registered aircraft over here with a Cdn PPL without any problems. This is presuming you meet the minimum hours requirements but if you're going all the way over there you may as well rack up a few while it's cheap! I've never felt the desire to convert because there's no obvious advantage and it's (predictably) expensive. If I were to want to gain further qualifications in the UK then it would be necessary, but I'd rather spend considerably fewer of my pounds training in Canada and move outside of the EU to fly.

Even if they do make training in America prohibitively difficult, given the enormous cost differential people are still going to want to go and train elsewhere where such oddities as landing/nav fees and incredibly expensive avgas are alien concepts. I consider myself to be patriotic but that doesn't mean I'm going to bankrupt myself trying to self fund flying qualifications in the UK when I can do it somewhere else considerably cheaper, in more complex aircraft, with better weather and more open airspace.

Rant over :D

Are you going to the summer Gatbash Jetgate?

Irv
2nd Apr 2002, 11:15
Darkstar45: (hope this doesn't submit twice - glitch on submit the first time!)
You might find http://www.higherplane.flyer.co.uk/faq.htm (esp. number 25 which confirms the conversion required) and also the abbreviations site off it useful whilst you are still thinking about learning.
Where-ever you learn, it's your choice, just have fun. You should get good tuition in Canada, but for price can anywhere beat S.A. for an ICAO licence? (due to weakness of the Rand). I know the candian $ has not been great in recent years. What price (all in) do you think you'll get a licence for in Canada? I reckon, all in (everything, accomodation, books, test, airfares), it's not far off £2500 at Algoa in S.A. - certainly well under £3000. They are a mutual rather than 'for profit'. I just got back from a great blue sky week's rental session there. Good 172s for a little over £30 an hour.

Jetgate
2nd Apr 2002, 23:21
Yeah, certainly no need to convert a Canadian PPL to JAA as long as you stick to just jollies in the UK. Also, Canada does not impose AS stringent currency requirements such as the JAR -'Certificate of Experience' or FAR - BFR. I have no idea what they do in SA (I'm sure Irv could enlighten us on that one...). You do need to keep current and they have a 6month, 2year and 5year rule which is linked to flights undertaken in that period. I personally think it is too easy at the moment and what I hear is that eventually they will incorporate the best elements of the JAR & FAR and create something more sensible for Canada. Therefore keeping your Canadian currency in the near future, while in the UK, would be a doddle. Also there are many UK Doctors who could renew your Canadian medical.

However, I must WARN you that if you ever taste the joy's of flying in Canada's west coast then it's game over. get ready to spend on regular air tickets! I say again that it is one of aviations best kept secrets

SSS, yes mate I'd like to go to the Gatbash, are you off to it???

Irv, Mr. Sowray had only great things to say about your N.London seminar. I'm working on rounding up a few more for you (it's Das from EGTR by the way...). By any chance, would you know of any suitably equipped C registered aeroplanes for some IFR work in the UK????

DesiPilot
3rd Apr 2002, 00:10
To convert an ICAO PPL to JAA PPL, you need the following:

A current ICAO PPL (temporary license are not acceptable)
Current medical (same State where ICAO PPL is issued)
Current JAA medical (minimum class II)
If less then 100 hours flight time, all seven written exams
If more then 100 hours flight time, three written exams (Air Law, HPL and RT)
If applying for conversion with UK CAA- RT Practical (FCL Form508)
PPL Skill test with UK/JAA FE
Applicable fees (I believe it is £143 at the moment for PPL and £64 for night)

You are not required to take any flight further flight training to take the JAA PPL skill test, but personally I think it is a good idea to take a couple lessons.

I hope this helps.

:) Jatin

Irv
3rd Apr 2002, 07:51
Jetgate - It's probably true of any country where you have 'room to fly' - it just 'refreshes' everything, flying like that.
As for SA, for info for others, I just got my UK licence validated out there in SA - (proficiency check type flight, plus SA Air Law exam, and paperwork. An SA R/T was issued on the basis of my UK R/t - not that it helped the controllers understand me first time every time ).
TIP for validating abroad if you have a Class 1 medical: Unfort, I forgot to take a 'sticker' for the medical (my class one expires in Sept, but it's valid for private for longer) - the validation therefore is only issued to Sept, whereas it could have gone for a full year - not sure whether I'll need it, we'll see! These stickers for Class 1s to explain to foreign authorites that the medical extends further than the 'obvious' expiry date, and are available from the CAA medical dept.
ps: Seminars: repeat anywhere as soon as 4 or 5 want it!