PDA

View Full Version : ACARS

NCLGH
21st Jun 2012, 14:49
Hi, I’m just after some information regarding ACARS. I work for a ground handling company as a dispatcher. From certain airlines we receive acars messages with information such as ETA and any specials coming off as an alternative to calling the frequency. I’ve often wondered is it possible for us to send a messaged back to them, basically just to acknowledge there message and provide them with the planned arrival stand, as you would over the frequency. How would you go about doing that? Does each aircraft have its own address and how would that be found?
I’ve asked around the office but no one seems to know anything about it. If anyone could explain how/if this would be possible or point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Trabbi
21st Jun 2012, 16:49
Hi,

are you able to send SITA telexes?
If so, try to send a message to address QXSXMXS

with the format:

M3E
AN G-XXXX
- freetext starts here

Does not work anytime and with any aircraft but it is worth a try.
The Dash (-) in line three seems to be necessary.
The registration must include the dash too (G-XXXX).

Try it :)

Greets,

Alex

BONDMAN
21st Jun 2012, 21:34
NCLGH, many airlines practice sterile cockpit procedures below 10,000 ft and may not want messages being sent to their aircraft, you may want to check with your customer airlines first.
Cheers Bondy

Check Airman
22nd Jun 2012, 06:51
I'm sure you can have that function automated. At my airline, while in cruise, we'll send an in-range ACARS msg with the ETA, and get an automated message containing a variety of information, including the arrival gate.

Bigbluebroxi
22nd Jun 2012, 07:43
Its my understanding that sending ACARS message to an aircraft is very expensive, so I wouldnt go trying it out unless you control your station finances!