PDA

View Full Version : Helo action under and above Tower Bridge

FODPlod
21st Jun 2012, 12:18
This in the Daily Mail a couple of weeks ago:
Extraordinary moment two helicopters dived dramatically low under Tower Bridge to film Bond themed sequence for Olympic opening ceremony (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2157202/Extraordinary-moment-helicopters-dived-dramatically-low-Tower-Bridge-BBC-film-opening-sequence-Olympic-coverage.html)
and today this (although it's actually a Royal Marine on the rope):
Hats off to this brave chap! Fun and Games on the Thames as Navy practises over Tower Bridge for spectacular Olympics opening ceremony (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2162550/All-action-Navy-sailor-abseils-rope-attached-helicopter-Tower-Bridge-forces-prepare-Olympics.html?ito=feeds-newsxml)

London Eye
21st Jun 2012, 12:51
There were also 2 Chinooks, North to South over the Thames a few minutes ago looking (and sounding) fantastic. Not sure I would want to see them going through Tower Bridge though.

Motleycallsign
21st Jun 2012, 13:16
Good job the close-up shows the beret flying away or we'd be having UFO stories from the said newspaper's erstwhile reporters.

TheWizard
21st Jun 2012, 14:57
So he is a Royal Navy rescue officer sailor stunt man? Wow, not seen that job on the RN Careers website!!

Good on him, but I reckon the banter about losing his 'green lid' will be merciless!! Bit of bodge tape will sort that next time!

Two's in
21st Jun 2012, 19:56
I bet the Sea King is a lot older than the Bootneck.

Green Flash
21st Jun 2012, 20:07
Unlikely, given the downwash, but what might have been the outcome if the aforementioned hat had got sucked in an engine .....?

Always wondered why we were b0110cked rigid for wearing headgear near running aircraft. But maybe the RM does things differently.

Of course, losing your hat does make for a good photo. Couldn't have been staged, that. No, never. Not at all.

That CYNIC caption is lit again.;)

jindabyne
21st Jun 2012, 21:57
WRT AP, pansies --------

hoodie
21st Jun 2012, 22:18
Unlikely, given the downwash, but what might have been the outcome if the aforementioned hat had got sucked in an engine .....?

It'd be impossible for it to pass through the Centrisep vortex tubes in the EAPS, so no worries. :)

stumpey
21st Jun 2012, 22:35
Hell of a lot of dust marks all over the sensor. Could do with a good clean.

Melchett01
21st Jun 2012, 23:08
Road traffic on Tower Bridge and river traffic on the Thames was halted while the two helicopters made two passes through the middle of the famous bridge.

Pussies ;) Try going into Cosford in a Bulldog on a flapless approach to Rw 24 which has a raised embankment with a railway line running along it when there's a train coming!

As far as instruction techniques go, if you don't get it right then you've had your last pint works quite well! I reckon most ex-UBAS studes could cope with Tower Bridge quite easily if the Daily Fail is to be believed :E

orca
22nd Jun 2012, 01:16
For a second then I thought someone was calling people pussies on the strength of a Bulldog dit. Must be time for another bottle.

TheWizard
22nd Jun 2012, 07:08
At least the readers comments on the DM article are as entertaining and uninformed as ever!!:)

Bubblewindow
22nd Jun 2012, 10:45
Brave in an AW-139!!
Lucky the tail didn't fall off :O

BW

bobward
22nd Jun 2012, 10:59
Should have used a Hunter.....:ok: