PDA

View Full Version : R44 stuck in Hereford

Hairyplane
20th Jun 2012, 17:15
....but I didn't crash it.

I would appreciate some advice from you Robinson engineers out there as to what might be going on with my machine. Whilst I feel sorry for the sheep who are about to lose some shade and a rubbing post, here is the poop so far -

Sunday - discovered a dead LH mag on shut down.
Monday - 5 hr round trip by road, both mags removed for overhaul as they are due for a 4 year.
Tuesday - Mags done in Oxford, astonishing service - dropped them off early morning, collected late afternoon.
Today - Fitted new mags, both working. Did I fly it out? Er....no.....

Why not?

Gremlins have been at work on governor and engine tacho - both now U/S.
Newly overhauled r/h 'tacho' mag removed and brought back to workshop - tested out perfectly - all points opening and closing as they should.

Sheep will now at least have some rain cover tomorrow...

Machine is an '08 Raven 2 with 365 hrs on it.

Any ideas? :confused::confused::confused:

HP

SilsoeSid
20th Jun 2012, 18:21
"Any ideas?"

Change the thread title !!!

Done. For those who didn't see it, the original was 'R44 down in Hereford!

SP

parasite drag
20th Jun 2012, 21:11
......told you you should've bought a Rotorway :cool:

RPM AWARE
20th Jun 2012, 21:14
are you allowed to tinker with your own 44 in a field :eek:

IMO
20th Jun 2012, 21:26
Sounds like a wiring snag to me possibly caused when removing rh magfor o/h especially if you didn't have a prob with rh mag/tacho/governor before that.

Hughes500
20th Jun 2012, 21:29
Box of matches ???:ok:

IMO
20th Jun 2012, 21:37
Gremlins have been at work on governor and engine tacho - both now U/S.
Newly overhauled r/h 'tacho' mag removed and brought back to workshop - tested out perfectly - all points opening and closing as they should.

You sure you connected the tacho plug!!

N707ZS
20th Jun 2012, 21:45
Find Shaun in the flock he will probably fix it:rolleyes:

krypton_john
20th Jun 2012, 21:54
Baa-ing any wiring faults, I'd check for any woolly debris in the connectors.

Johe02
21st Jun 2012, 05:47
Try a different/new mag

staticsource
21st Jun 2012, 07:30
Check ALL the wiring underneath the heli. I landed in a field 10yrs ago with sheep in it an they ate through some of the alternator cables on a 22 over night, little sods, they get everywhere.

misterbonkers
21st Jun 2012, 07:50
I'm pretty certain the Governor relates to the right hand magneto too? But then your engineer who put it all back together should know this...! Sounds like a wiring snag. Did you cover over the appropriate connections when you removed the mags and left it in the field?

Amatsu
21st Jun 2012, 10:57
I must agree with my esteemed colleagues on this.
If you have lost both your Governor and Engine Tach after installing the RH Magneto then it sounds like the wiring hasn't been reconnected properly.

I would suggest first checking that the pins are in the connector plug housing properly and not been pushed out. Secondly you can pull the back cover off the magneto and make sure all the spade connectors are correctly positioned and if that doesn't work then something else in the system has probably been disturb.

I assume you have spoken to your maintenance organisation about this problem.

Hairyplane
21st Jun 2012, 21:53
Useful stuff...

Either set fire to it or buy a Hughes 500.:rolleyes:

I'll let you know what my engineers eventually find.

HP

theavionicsbloke
22nd Jun 2012, 18:55
Sell it to the farmer as a new fangled sheep shearing device....
I'm sure he will fall for it .... although. you might struggle if he asks you for a demo!
:uhoh:

FSXPilot
23rd Jun 2012, 18:43
You might also want to think of some temporary fencing around the helicopter. We look after an R44 that was damaged by sheep using it as a scratching post. Panels Nearly £5,000 and that was before fitting and painting.

Hairyplane
23rd Jun 2012, 18:45
Hi all,

Back at base now - all sorted.

Not quite sure what they found on the RM Mag side of things but it was a quick fix eventually.

Thanks for all your advice and humour.

Best

HP

baby spanner
23rd Jun 2012, 22:57
the governor will not work without the r/h mag.... just after the electrical connection fromm the mag the wires split from 2 into 4, 2 to the gov and 2 to the gauge, so the problem most have been in the connection or the mag, so sounds as if it was the connection

possibly a short circuit from oil dripping from the oil filter onto the connection?

please let us know your engineers findings

Hairyplane
24th Jun 2012, 08:55
Wilco!

Leave it with me, I havent had the conversation yet.

Thanks again. Appreciated.

HP