PDA

View Full Version : Septoplasty

ent_query
19th Jun 2012, 19:53
Dear all,

I would be grateful if anyone might be willing to share their experience of having undergone Septoplasty, perhaps specifically 'Bilateral Trimming of the Turbinates'.

Any anonymous gen relating to the procedure itself, your experience of the recovery period or noted effect on breathing post-op etc. would be of interest and greatly appreciated.

I'm not concerned for my medical licence, my AME and the CAA have explained these arrangements, but I am interested in hearing of any fellow aircrew who may have been in a similar situation.

homonculus
20th Jun 2012, 23:10
I have not had this procedure myself, but am involved frequently as a doctor.

Septoplasty is straightening the septum in the middle of the nose. Turbinectomy is trimming or shrinking the turbinates which hang from the septum like leaves on a Christmas tree. The two operations are not the same but may be done in conjunction.

In my practice this takes 30 minutes under general anaesthesia and no more than a couple of hours in hospital. Your nose will be blocked for several days but resolve over 10 - 14 days. If indicated septoplasty is highly beneficial. Turbinectomy is less common. The main risk is bleeding.

Some surgeons insert packs into the nose after the operation. These are not nice and give a feeling of the surgeon keeping his fingers up your nose. I would choose a surgeon who doesn't routinely use packs.

Oh, and my patients get their nose painted with cocaine to minimise bleeding. Sadly for them they are unconscious, although one city trader asked for the cocaine before he was anaesthetised.

I do like to keep my patients happy

Wilton Shagpile
19th Jul 2012, 17:56
I had this done a few years ago to sort out some sinus issues. It was successful in opening up the passageways but led to me suffering from a lot more dryness up inside my nose and means now that mucous doesn't drain as well. This had led to some problems with blocked eustachian tubes but it's manageable with regular nasal irrigation....
I was off work for about two weeks after the op but the second week may well have been avoidable but neither I nor the surgeon wanted to risk it.
It was a bit tender post op but I was in first thing and out by early evening!