PDA

View Full Version : B1 unrestricted privilage concerns?

inspectortron
19th Jun 2012, 09:08
Does any other B2 LAME's find B1 unrestricted licences a bit daunting? Concerned for B2 LAME's future? I have read a lot of stuff but still looks like a lot of grey area and I can hear it already...... 'it depends on how you read it!'.

Kiwiconehead
19th Jun 2012, 21:51
The key is how many of those unrestricted B1s are actually capable of carrying out those privileges, not many.

There is still scope for the B2, and there are fewer and fewer of us.

LAME2
19th Jun 2012, 22:19
The key is how many of those unrestricted B1s are actually capable of carrying out those privileges, not many.

Doesn't seem to matter if they are capable in my observations, they certify anyway. I've also observed an increase in out of privilege certifications since the introduction. I think a lot of confusion still exists.

Hasherucf
20th Jun 2012, 05:38
It keeps the big boys like Qantas happy as you need less qualified people doing the work. A licenced people doing the turn around checks, B1's doing B2's work, If a B1 isn't confident in doing the work get a B2.

Let's face it there is a huge shortage of B2's and the industry went for a quick fix.

mightyauster
20th Jun 2012, 07:40
The Part 66 system should've been introduced 20 years ago, with the introduction of the A320. Let's face it, with the modern fly by wire aircraft, the mechanical guys do need to be on top of the avionics systems. One does need to be aware of the priveleges of the B1 licence though.
What really stinks though, is the cost of restriction removal is around three times that of getting the equivilant in SIN and I believe was set up in Australia to be a cash cow for certain aviation colleges. Then we wonder why there is a unfettered use of 457 Visas....:yuk:

Hasherucf
20th Jun 2012, 07:49
mightyauster not everything in Australia is shiny a new A320 . Most of it is 20-30-40 year old . Newest aircraft I have worked on in GA was 1995 and that is def not fly by wire . GA has been ignored in the Australian Part66 system.

Cat1234
21st Jun 2012, 02:48
No amount of pencil whipping by B1's will fix a difficult avionics or engine/airframe fault, there will always be a job for competent B2's just as there will always be more broken aircraft then we can keep up with.

The imported B1 and B2's I have encountered dont seem to have a deep understanding of aircraft systems, there fine for changing components or inspections but when it comes to pin pointing the one component in the system that doesn't work or something out of the ordinary during inspections/component changes then they get stuck.

I am sure they aren't all like this, they cant be realistically, the half dozen I have encountered seem to be the malcontent's who could not make it in Europe.
It is amazing how quick they pick up type ratings over there.

skiinoz
21st Jun 2012, 07:34
You B2 guys have every reason to be concerned, in line maintenance all over Europe there really is no need for pure B2 guys, the same will happen here. When you analize exactly what an unrestricted B1 guy CAN'T sign for, there really is very little. It is very easy to generalize about imported B1 guys, but i've not been blown away by the standard of Australian B2's either. Waiting in the office for that perfect B2 job will be a thing of the past. Changing switches, LRU's, wiring faults, lighting, is all B1 work now. Welcome to the future. :eek:

inspectortron
21st Jun 2012, 19:52
Yep, from what I have seen the 457 visa guys are very....... I have not been impressed. They have told me it is a 3 week course and some form of SOE to get there B2 licence. Surely this cannot be true? I also see the ALAEA are confused regarding this? Gone are the training apprenticeships and in come the 457's. I must say this is not personal against 457 guys, majority are nice guys, you are just taking Australian jobs that could be filled by Australians via apprenticeships. There are hardly anymore apprentices these days?

easily_confused
21st Jun 2012, 23:23
How can an apprentice do the job of a 457 LAME? I agree they need to start training but as a stop gap you need qualified engineers.

inspectortron
22nd Jun 2012, 00:29
Sorry to confuse you easily confused...... To make it clearer, if companies invested in apprentices regularly most will in time become LAME to take these positions. This is just another small increase in the unemployment rate. Like hasherucf said..... A quick fix and the government does not have to pour money into apprenticeships like they did a few years back?

skiinoz
22nd Jun 2012, 07:21
I agree that the jobs should be given to Australian guys first, but there is no skill base for some types, the 457 scheme works to get the local guys up to speed, then send the 457 guys home. As for a B2 license in 2 or 3 weeks, that is nonsense.

Arnold E
22nd Jun 2012, 10:02
Can someone tell me where there is a shortage of B2 LAME's?:confused:

inspectortron
22nd Jun 2012, 11:23
Skiinoz, can you tell us what is required for B1 to get B2 in Europe? not sure where the 2 of the 2-3weeks comes into it, I only said 3?

skiinoz
22nd Jun 2012, 14:45
Full module 13, extended 3,4 and 5, it took me 2 years, I'm sure you could get it quicker, but realistically, you can't turn up on a job or contract and not cut the mustard, I spent a year before coming to Oz as a B1/B2 lame with 4 A320's and 2 ATR's as the only B2 coverage, and the aircraft were not falling out of the sky. No guy who has converted to the B2 can honestly say that they will be as proficient as someone who has spent their entire career dealing with heavy elec/avionic mods, but don't forget in Europe, a pure B2 cannot sign for airfame/engine electrics without a restricted B1 in these disciplines. I remember hearing the same arguments whem we changed over, and there will always be the old school who complain about guys who have the sign off but don't know what they are doing. But all B1 guys now know that this work is now part of their responsabilities. If you read the EASA and soon to be CASA regs, it states that a B2 license is purely a hanger license. An unrestricted B1 should be able to cover 90% of what happens on their watch. It wont happen overnight, but as I previously said, it's the future. Get your B1 or get gone!