PDA

View Full Version : Vale Don Charlwood

John Botwood
19th Jun 2012, 09:07
Don Charlwood RAAF passed away on Monday. Navigator on 103 Squadron in 1943 on the fiirst crew to complete a tour of Ops in 7 months.
Best selling author of "No Moon Tonight" and "Journeys into Night": both being autobiographical. He had just returned from UK from the commemoration of the Bomber Command memorial. At the age of 96 it must have been a pretty hard task - but one he would not shirk.

A Historian and a foundation member of Australian Post-War Air Traffic Control. He recruited almost all Controllers from the aircrew ranks over 15 years. He will be sorely missed by many.

A gentleman and above all; a mate.

John Botwood

Shackman
19th Jun 2012, 09:36
Very sorry to hear the news. No Moon Tonight was one of the very first books I read about Bomber Command, shortly after its first printing - particularly relevant to me as I lived fairly close to Elsham. I also had the pleasure during Shackleton days of meeting him - as you say, a gentleman and a friend to all.

Farewell

Old-Duffer
19th Jun 2012, 09:36
Thank you for that sad news. Don was a real gent and I found both books absolutely fascinating to read. I was always surprised that he did not get a DFM for his operational tour.

He will be remembered by many people with affection and respect.

Old Duffer

rolling20
19th Jun 2012, 09:39
Very sad to hear and I am also sorry that I missed him when he was over here.
Don very kindly signed my copy of 'Journeys into Night' and answered some queries I had re W/C David Holford.

I was only reading a chapter (again) from 'Journeys into Night' on Sunday. It is a wonderful read and gives a great insight into the thoughts and fears of the young men who flew for Bomber Command.

I salute you Don.

PPRuNeUser0139
20th Jun 2012, 14:57
His "No Moon Tonight" is very well written and he takes you with him. Highly recommended if you haven't read it. I was in touch with him a few years ago through a 3rd party.
What a character.:D
RIP Don.