PDA

View Full Version : Helicopter Cover

African Eagle
19th Jun 2012, 08:40
For more years than I care to remember I've talked with various engineers about my wish for a cover which could be placed over the blades (awkward I know) in order to provide shelter from the blasting sun in the equatorial lands.

They were always too concerned about damaging the main rotor, accidentally bending the tabs or having the cover catch on the blade tape etc.

Now, having wanted to develop this type of cover for about 20 years do I finally see it in existence on a 407 (one of the types I fly)!

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-l9b14nzXaIs/T-A4MJ3IAdI/AAAAAAAAJGc/-CqJ3UGYREE/s800/B407%2520Santiago.jpg

So - if you're visiting the dark continent and you see a helo with what looks like a tent on its roof - that'll be me!

albatross
19th Jun 2012, 09:45
We made one for an S-76 in Burma 4-5 years ago - brilliant engineer thought of it and had it made locally. Worked great- I'll try to find photo and post it.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e68/midcanada/IMG_1996.jpg

EESDL
19th Jun 2012, 18:08
John at CopterCovers can make one for any type - using special super-duper really expensive hot air balloon material - me thinks......

........this is not an advert, I do not have any commercial interest in the said 'CopterCovers' company - and what is wrong with using an old parachute and guy ropes -

Hawkeye0001
19th Jun 2012, 18:10
That's a simple yet great design. We tried to come with something similar for an R-44 recently, but this 2 bladed system puts a restriction to the design very quick :}

I'll copy that one, hope you didn't patent it yet! ;)

krypton_john
19th Jun 2012, 21:58
Looks good.

Can't tell froom the perspective in the photo but those ships look to be parked rather close together. I wonder if one took off while the others still had their hats on, if the others would all turn into hang gliders and fly away?

albatross
20th Jun 2012, 05:35
Hi Uploaded the 76 cover photo to my original post above.

cbox chip
20th Jun 2012, 22:41
What happens when the wind picks up? Honestly I clicked on this thread expecting to see pictures of blade covers like we use Heli-skiing, colour me surprised.

RicardoGarces
20th Jun 2012, 23:54
I don't think the wind picking up or any other helicopter taking off nearby would pose great threat. Rotors are made to withstand high forces, and blades do get into incredible coning angles, so even if these covers acted like kites they would in my opinion make no damage.

Also you have to consider, when shades are required is because usually you are in hot climates and there is no much surface wind, otherwise temperature would be lower and probably sustainable.

Just my opinion though. Not an engineer.

grumpytroll
21st Jun 2012, 03:17
The military decommissions lots of parachutes every year and they are available to purchase. The material is perfect for these covers. One parachute's worth of material will do a couple of aircraft. Its strong, very lightweight and can be cut and fashioned into just what you need. We used these when I was in the army and needed just this type of cover for our Hawks during the first gulf war. We went outside the system and had these made. cheers,

African Eagle
21st Jun 2012, 07:31
Albatross that's a cool cover, looks similar to the Bell ones.

The difference this device will make when you are shut down for several hous in the searing heat will, I am sure, be considerable. No more burning seats or scorching one's ear on the instrument panel while adjusting the control locks!

Just a little peeved that I didn't get to do this all those years ago when I had first wanted. A case of better late than never me thinks.

Parachute material sounds ideal.

John Eacott
21st Jun 2012, 09:07
So - if you're visiting the dark continent and you see a helo with what looks like a tent on its roof - that'll be me!

What a great idea :ok: How long does it take to rig/derig, how is it attached to the blade tips?

VH-XXX
21st Jun 2012, 09:45
I'd be concerned about a strong wind doing damage to whatever it is tied to versus the blades. Guess it depends on what you are using it for. Sitting next to your aircraft on fire duty or similar, sure thing.

albatross
21st Jun 2012, 11:25
We only used it during the day when we were close to / working on the helicopter - 35C no wind - it was great.
Common sense must prevail -
there were tie downs on each front blade too.
Certainly would not walk away and leave it on.

skyewolf179
31st Jul 2012, 09:42
Hi Guys

I am looking for a shade cover for the AS350 Range of helicopters.
Parachute type material etc. I read on one of the other forums about " John at Copter covers" doing this. I havesent him an e-mail, but maybe there is someone else as well that does this sort of thing ? :confused:

The sun is really killing the laminated bearings on our machines !!

[ Yes, tie downs will be used, and very careful note of the weather will be taken.]

adamnichols
5th Dec 2012, 01:09
Sir,

I have exactly the cover you need. The C.A.M. (Canopy for Aircraft Maintenance) is a Modular and Portable light weight canopy.

Please contact me at [email protected]

Best Regards,

Adam

heli1
5th Dec 2012, 09:11
I agree with VH-XXX and Albatross. I have seen the damage that can happen to blades with this type of cover when the wind picks up ,especially if the blades are attached to the cover in some way.Three of four ended up with wrinkles and had to be scrapped.Expensive lesson learned .Have someone on hand at all times to derig quickly.

Milo C
5th Dec 2012, 10:32
http://www.whatsonxiamen.com/news_images/200b51e9399943bbaa8b9a36_l_Circuit.jpg

topendtorque
5th Dec 2012, 10:39
skyewolf179
The sun is really killing the laminated bearings on our machinesThat's 'cos they're so damn flimsy:D:ugh::8

Picked up a parachute in the bush once, and other things, the sort the roving boys use when being resupplied by the black Herc at super low level in the middle of the night. Stupid sods could learn a thing or two about concealment. I thought, what can I use that for? or maybe sell it.

So, I says to an ex copper mate of mine, whose into a bit of dutch auction stuff, "Whaddaya reckon I'd get for a big army parachute?"

Without blinking he says, 'Probably five years!' Sorta went off the idea after that.

adamnichols
8th Dec 2012, 19:49
KD6s1FtgZFo

PANews
9th Dec 2012, 08:59
There is a company in Arizona, A&A Industries, making covers designed to fit over less than all of the rotor system [less material less weight?] web: - ana-industries.com

outofwhack
9th Dec 2012, 13:04
I have an unwanted Kiowa vinyl cover in SE QLD. Would probably fit a Jetranger. PM me if interested.

313smd
20th Jul 2015, 16:02
Saw this down at an airfield in Texas. Looks like Bell buys the "Portable Hangar" from Rolin Industries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkqfTPJoT8Y

Anyone ever use one of these? Worth $1,500?