PDA

View Full Version : RIP Don Charlwood

barleyhi
19th Jun 2012, 05:28
Don Charlwood, gentleman, hero and author has passed on. A WW2 bomber command navigator and ATC in Melbourne he was famous for many books including the classic "No Moon Tonight"

From Wikipedia:

Donald Ernest Cameron (Don) Charlwood OAM (born 6 September 1915) is an Australian author. He has also worked as a farm hand, in air traffic control, and most notably as an RAAF navigator in Bomber Command during the Second World War.

While best known for No Moon Tonight, his memoir of life as a crewmember in Bomber Command, Charlwood has written a number of other biographical, fiction, and non-fiction works.

Early life

Born in Melbourne, Victoria, in 1915, Charlwood's family moved to Frankston when he was eight. Charlwood left Frankston High School in his Leaving Certificate year, to take a job with a local estate agency and produce market. Approaching eighteen years of age he was required to train his replacement, and found himself in 1933 unemployed. He took a holiday at a relative's farm, Burnside near Nareen, found the life enjoyable, and was invited back to work there for the shearing and harvest of 1934.

At Burnside, Charlwood was already writing and occasionally supplementing his wages by selling articles and short stories. He remained there through the thirties, but in 1940, as war unfolded in Europe and France and the Low Countries fell, he signed up for the RAAF, and was placed on the reserve.

Military service

For the rest of 1940, Charlwood worked at The 21 Lessons - a course to ensure candidates were fitted for the theoretical work of initial training. In May 1941, after 11 months on the reserve, Charlwood was called up and posted to No 1. Initial Training School, Somers, Victoria. From Somers, he proceeded to Sydney and then to Vancouver in Canada. Their trip to Canada was the first across the Pacific by Australian military on a ship of neutral America, the liner Monterey. On reaching Vancouver, Charlwood along with the rest of his group, was sent to Edmonton. In October 1942, they started their training as bombaimer/navigators in Course 35 of the No. 2 Air Observer Training School, Empire Air Training Scheme. Six months, a number of courses and stations, and around 160 hours of flying time later, initial training was complete.

In May 1943, on the Polish Batory, Charlwood and his course traveled to England, anchoring on the River Clyde on the evening of 12 May. Here the course was split, with Charlwood and half of them posted to No.3 Advanced Flying Unit, Bobbington, between the Severn Valley and Birmingham. After completing Advanced Flying, aircrew were posted to Operational Training Units, their entry into combat operations. Charlwood was posted to No, 27 OTU, Lichfield - a unit which fed Bomber Command. He had almost 200 hours flying time.

At Tatenhill, a satellite airfield of Lichfield, Charlwood, with Pilot Geoff Maddern, crewed up to form a crew of five - the basis of all his future flying in Bomber Command. On 1 August 1942 they flew together as a crew for the first time, in a Wellington Bomber. On the night of 5 September 1942, they made their last training flight. Charlwood's total flying time was now just under 257 hours. Training completed, they were posted to fly Halifaxes from No. 103 Squadron RAF, Elsham Wolds.

Later life

Following his return to Australia and release from the RAAF, Charlwood worked for the Department of Civil Aviation, initially as an Air Traffic Controller, and later as a trainer. It was while working at the DCA that he wrote No Moon Tonight.

In 1992 Charlwood was made a Member of the Order of Australia in recognition of service to literature.

“As we drew nearer I saw a cathedral like a crown on the head of a city. In its white walls every window glinted in the sun. Lincoln! Of such places is England made. -"No Moon Tonight”
― Don Charlwood

Nigel Osborn
19th Jun 2012, 05:37
R.I.P. Don. A very nice gentleman who carried out my interview for DCA back in 1970.

missy
19th Jun 2012, 07:28
I remember reading "Take-Off to Touchdown: The Story of Air Traffic Control" by Don Charlwood on joining ATC. In fact, at Henty House there was the Don Charlwood award for the most outstanding ATC trainee (based on exam results).

Fantome
19th Jun 2012, 07:56
As said, a gentleman of the first water. His like we'll not see again.

'Marching as to War' he wrote because when talking to a class in a secondary school in Melbourne one Anzac Day, a boy of Greek parentage asked him 'how come you Australians went to the defence of another country in Europe?'

Don did his best to get through to the lad about the empire and the crown and all the Anglo connections. His explanation made no impact on the boy or the class at all. So he went home and sat down and wrote a masterly account of the motivations leading to enlistment.

Jungmeister
19th Jun 2012, 13:17
Sad to hear, but inevitable, I guess.

I have admired Don Charlwood's literary style for many years. I think that I have read nearly all of his books. Besides the aviation themes, he also wrote a couple of books on the early days of sailing ships in Australia. I believe his grandmother was a passenger on a ship that was wrecked near Cape Otway.

His social observations in "Marching as to War" give a great insight into his early days in Victoria.

"Take off to Touch Down" was required reading for young ATC trainees. Don was on the interview board for my ATC selection in 1970. (The same course as my mate Nigel, above). He seemed old in those days and I was amazed to hear quite recently that he was still alive and with a very active mind.

Sadly Missed

Kingsley N

make-mine-a-Coopers
19th Jun 2012, 21:14
I never had the pleasure of meeting the gentleman - a fact that I am now so sadly aware of.

As a callow yoof in the Henty House training college some 29 years ago, I narrowly missed out on the Don Charlwood Award - with only around 14 of my student colleagues ahead of me on the exam score count-back...

I picked up a copy of his 'No Moon Tonight' on eBay a couple'a years ago now. I did so as I was interested to read of his experiences as flight crew in Bomber Command in WWII as my father was also in Bomber Command at the same time.

Dad was a Flight Engineer on Lancasters himself. He was shot down on his 18th mission and he was one of 2 survivors of the 7-man crew, with his good mates from so long ago buried together in a field just outside Hannover.

It was with those feelings that I bought No Moon Tonight, and I found it to be quite poignant reading the words of the father of my profession as he described the profession of my father.

Rest in Peace, Mr Charlwood.

Old but not bold
20th Jun 2012, 02:55
More than just a true gentleman but a truely great and humble Australian. I have read many of his books and heard him talk on some occassions and was always impressed with his humility.
There was a wonderful Doco on SBS in the early ninties loosely based on his (and others) wartime experiences as well some of his crew including Geoff Maddern (a great man in his own right). Not easy to get a copy but well worth trying, it was called "Wings of the Storm"
They don't make them like Don anymore!
Oldie

make-mine-a-Coopers
20th Jun 2012, 06:20
Googled it, and someone named aussieinbmbrcmd posted this 51 minute clip to YouTube just 3 days ago...

Wings of the Storm - Part 1 The Volunteers - YouTube (http://youtu.be/BE7RuGMH7mU)

kookabat
20th Jun 2012, 12:56
The 'uncut' original interviews that were taken for Wings of the Storm are available to view at the Australian War Memorial - some fascinating stuff in there.

Captain Dart
21st Jun 2012, 03:01
In addition to his war books he wrote a couple on Victoria's ship wrecks and one of my favourite books of all time, 'All the Green Year'. If you have adolescent kids or were an adolescent yourself once ;) it is a fascinating read; a snapshot of family life in a Mornington Peninsula village in the 1920's, both humorous and sobering.

I consider 'All the Green Year' his best work, and I still re-read it occasionally.

A man of many talents.

grip pipe
24th Jun 2012, 01:52
Vale and adieu Don. The passing of yet another of the generation of men who served in the RAAF and Bomber Command in WWII is a sad moment. Don got to 97 which is a pretty good innings and he led it seems a full and interesting life which is something to celebrate.

Don's book 'No Moon Tonight' is a classic and one of the first to books about the bombing campaign to come out and candidly tell the story of a crew member in heavy bombers operating under the control of the RAF in WWII. It would not have been an easy book to write but then he did not have it easy as a young bloke either. The uneasy feeling and fear he would have felt knowing no moon tonight meant another trip into hostile skies over Europe gives the title a certain poignancy.

Don Charlwood's later life and work was a success and his role in ATC means he was not just a writer but a figure in the lives of many men and women and their development and education in the world of aviation.

Australia is the lesser for his passing and of that generation.

Fantome
26th Jun 2012, 22:49
In his marvelous book 'No Moon Tonight', Don Charlwood says how he was moved to the core by the poignancy of the music and the refrain issuing from the gramophone playing 'So Deep is the Night' over and over as they were waiting for the call to move out to the flight line from the warm hut where the crews were togged up ready to go.

Tristesse (So Deep Is The Night)

So deep is the night
No moon tonight
No friendly star to guide me with its light
Be still my heart
Silent lest my love should be returning
From a world far apart

So deep is the night
O lonely night
On broken wings my heart has taken flight
And left a dream

Very true C'pn Dart about 'All the Green Year'. A beautiful evocative tale. Used to be set in secondary schools all over the land.

The poetic soul, let us not say with passing of Don, RIP too.

CUNIM
15th Aug 2012, 15:29
Don Charlwood was the interviewer on my entrance examination in 1967. I always remember his question, you say that you passed your PPL, well here is a Douglas Computer, what is the answer to this navigation problem? Lovely man, I passed to go on the first UK course.

Fantome
15th Aug 2012, 21:32
Think you might be thinking of the DALTON COMPUTER.

Blockla
16th Aug 2012, 08:52
You're both right... A Douglas protractor often called a computer is a square compass for charting/plotting/vectors... A dalton computer is a whizz wheel... Both very handy as a trainee pilot or ATC. Well they were...

RIP Don.

Fantome
17th Aug 2012, 17:46
Not quite right, as a compass tells us magnetic north or grid north, whereas a protractor is simply a piece of transparent plastic laid on a chart to determine a track or a bearing.

Pull what
3rd Feb 2016, 10:30
Don trained at RAF Halfpenny Green and then with 27 OTU, RAF Lichfield & RAF Tatenhill.

This April will be the 75th anniversary of the opening of 27 OTU at Lichfield. It would be interesting to hear from anyone who was connected with RAF Lichfield Tatenhill or Church Broughton.