PDA

View Full Version : Being a pilot now

Nekro
18th Jun 2012, 16:28
Hey I was just wondering if this is a good path to take right now? in this unstable economy, are airlines hiring people? especially young guys with no experience? I'm talking about Middle eastern airlines like Qatar airways, Gulf Air etc. I heard there are a lot of unemployed young pilots right now and I surely don't want to be one of those when I graduate. especially as I will have to pay back a HUGE loan I will have to take from the bank, I plan to pay that amount from my salary. so basically if I don't get a job when I graduate, I'm kinda screwed. I can wait for a couple of months to find a job, but I hear people saying they're jobless for more than a year! would a military root be a better choice for me since aviation is the only thing I'm interested in?

Dogfactory
18th Jun 2012, 21:38
The military route is the quickest way to become a pilot, a skilled one, and secure you can stay that until you retire. Plus, it will cost you nothing...
At your age I wouldn't have such doubts.

Nekro
18th Jun 2012, 21:46
Quicker way to become a pilot? You mean a commercial pilot or a fighter jet pilot? well that's the beauty of being in the military. you don't pay anything to fly jets that are worth millions of dollars!

Dogfactory
18th Jun 2012, 21:53
ah, what a splendid opportunity youth is

Northbeach
19th Jun 2012, 03:25
Nekro,

How much time have you spent reading the various related posts on this PPRuNe training forum before you posted your question?

You can't affort to be jobless with large loans to pay back after training is completed and wanted to know if low time people are getting pick up quickly? ...... Really ......?

Part of me thinks this isn't a wind up! In case it is not, I will try to be brief.

1. There is no guarantee of a job following training. There are many rated, experienced and otherwise qualified pilots who are not employed or severly underemployed.

2. Future prospects are not great anywhere. The Middle East has its challanges, as does the Indian subcontinent and the rest of Asia, Europe and the United States are in recession. It will probably get worse before it gets better.

3. In most regions terms and conditions of employment are under pressure. Translation; work much harder and longer for less pay.

So much for the good news.

Brian304
19th Jun 2012, 13:14
In your circumstances it is better going down the military route.

As the civil route will leave you unemployed for some time before your first airline gig (well for most anyway if you look at your statistics). I have some friends who still haven't had there first chance and its been like 3-4 years since they got there licenses, I was lucky enough to get mine within the first year, but this route isn't for everyone.

Goodluck.

Aerouk
19th Jun 2012, 23:05
Why don't you get yourself a decent job and work while you fly that way you don't need to put yourself at such a high risk of going bankrupt when you're not working for any airline?

The repayment on a loan to pay the flying you're talking about £1,000 per month where are you going to get a salary to cover that while buying a car, house etc?

Military is a fantastic route but it's far harder to become a military pilot than an airline pilot.

Halfwayback
20th Jun 2012, 08:49
Nekro

Could I ask you to spend a few minutes using the 'Search' function and perhaps a lot more time thereafter reading through the numerous threads here that ask the same questions that you pose - and answer them?

I am closing this thread.

HWB