PDA

View Full Version : Captain Positions

Brain man
1st Apr 2002, 14:57
Thinking of moving to Canada as a skilled worker, from the UK.

Any companies take direct entry jet Captains in Canada?

If not, then why not? ;)

Any relevant info would be appreciated,

Thanks.

McDoo the Irish Navigator
1st Apr 2002, 19:31
My friend;

Where do I begin?
The bottom has fallen out of the job market for pilots here following the collapse of Canada 3000 Airlines last November.
At that time, 577 experienced jet pilots were turned lose onto the street. As I write, perhaps 150 of them have returned to a flying position somewhere. There are literally hundreds of +10,000hr guys unemployed here. Pilots are beginning to trickle out of the country, and I suspect it will be a flood before long.

Traditionally, Canadian companies have upgraded their Captains from the ranks of their VERY experienced (6-10,000 hrs).
F/Os.

I know nothing of immigration matters, but I suspect that you'd have a hard time convincing an immigration officer that you weren't going to take a job from a Canadian.

The following website will give you all the information you need in order to come here; www.gc.ca

Honestly, I believe you'll have better luck elsewhere.

Brain man
1st Apr 2002, 20:41
I've been there and survived. The UK was once full of mega hour pilots. Things have changed now and the low cost airlines need over 140 pilots per year, each. We do have experienced Canadians here as well as a lot of other nationalitys. Perhaps the UK can soak up the experienced pilots so that the new guys in canada get a look in.

I really fancy Canada as a place to retire to someday (I'm not that old just yet). The sheer space attracts me as I've been an Expat in Africa and miss it!

Longtimer
2nd Apr 2002, 00:02
Canada is a great place to live and retire in....... but you may need to get used to the weather. On the other hand, in the Prairies you don't have to worry about mowing the grass too early in the season. End of May looks good this year for the first cutting. :)
For April 01
Chance of
flurries
Low -17°C
April 02
POP 30%
Mainly sunny
Low -17°C
High -9°C
April 03
Mainly sunny
Low -14°C
High 0°C
April 04
Chance of
flurries
Low -11°C
High 2°C
POP 30%
April 05
Showers or
flurries
Low -11°C
High 5°C
POP 60%
:)

Brain man
2nd Apr 2002, 09:25
I've visited Canada before. It's a change from Africa, but for the better as there's more variety. The Rockys are my aim, skiing in the winter and normal stuff in the summer.

I think I may have even managed to talk the rest of the family into it!!!!

what's it doing now?
4th Apr 2002, 20:05
Hey Brain Man,

I live and work in the UK as a 737 skipper. I was born in and lived in Canada to age 33. Unfortunately the job market for pilots has always been lean. I've been away for 13 years now, but when the fact that Air Canada is about to hire some 20 or so pilots (saw this in PPRUNE somewhere), is big news, that is an indication of how lean it is. I love Canada,but had to go elsewhere to get a flying job. Even if you get a job, it is unlikely as a Captain, and as an FO, to start, the pay is pathetic.

I do wish you luck, and envy you if it works out, and I hope it does, but it is tough going in Canada for pilots.

As an aside, where in Africa do you work?

:)

Brain man
5th Apr 2002, 13:08
I was in Africa for 5 years, based in Kenya but flying everywhere. I'm now in the UK.

If the worst happens and I can't get a job in canada as a captain I'll probably try and start up my own buisness.

Thanks for the info.