PDA

View Full Version : NZ CAA Medical charges

NZCPL
18th Jun 2012, 06:25
Did my medical renewal and doctor mentioned a proposed new levy the CAA is considering for intro later this year. Ap at the moment CAA medical is funded thru airport charges however not for much longer. New system would require us to purchase an approval of sorts costing around $250-300 to then take to doctor who can then do the medical as they do now. This will effectively double the cost of our yearly medical issue or renewal! Anyone got any further info?

solowflyer
18th Jun 2012, 23:00
Having had both NZ CAA Medical and CASA Medical can say this may be the only area CASA may have a (slight) advantage over other systems is medicals. I can remember the complete head Fcuk it was to get a NZ Medical compared to CASA and then the ridiculous charges CAA charged. Was over $400 and that was nearly 10 years ago. I renewed my CASA few months ago and was under $200 including CASA rubber stamp charge.

27/09
19th Jun 2012, 00:47
I renewed my CASA few months ago and was under $200 including CASA rubber stamp charge. Right now in New Zealand there is no CAA rubber stamping charge.

You go to your DME or AMA and complete your medical, if you go to a DME they send your details to an AMA who then assess the data and issues the medical providing everything is in order, or if you go to an AMA everything is completed on the spot without any input from CAA. CAA are just notified of the medical completion/result. Just the way it should be, CAA approve these guys to issue the medicals there's no need for any CAA input.

So far as rubber stamping by CAA/CASA goes this is ridiculous, a parallel would be CAA/CASA approving every single flight for all pilots.

I don't see any need for CAA to be putting their hand out for more money.

DeltaT
23rd Jun 2012, 08:13
O great, so the pilots ARE paying for the new NZCAA building they moved into?

27/09
24th Jun 2012, 08:06
We, that is the industry, us pilots, were going to pay one way or another.