PDA

View Full Version : Pilot Sea/Tree Change

Riding the Goat
18th Jun 2012, 02:24
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has found the perfect pilots sea/tree changedestination?

As some background I currently have a command on a turbo prop in alarge capital city, however, the wife and I are both from the country and havehad about enough of the rat race. The oldest of two kids is also about to startschool next year so it’s a good time for a big move.

What we are after is a nice regional centre with a strong communityatmosphere, decent school and a cost of living that doesn’t require the both ofus to work crazy hours. And hopefully a decent flying job for me, turbo propwith a wage in the 80-90k range would be great. I have more than enough GAflying and would prefer not to go back flying PA31’s, etc. We would love tosettle down in the one spot for 10-15yrs and stop the constant moving thatcomes with an aviation career.

Some of our options so far are:

1. Cairns – Lots of flying (career progression),outdoor life style, probably bit bigger city then we would like.

2. Melbourne(living in Wattle Glen or Woodend area) – longer drive to work, seniority basedairlines so no guarantee of basing and probably have to enter as an FO so paycut involved initially.

3. RFDS– Good country town bases, no progression to other types/companies once there.

4. Broome– Been there, in the middle of nowhere!

5. Hobart– Only 2 operators, one has gone broke, the other only flys bongos.

6. Canberra– can live a little out of town (Bungendore, etc), still a big place.

What are your thoughts on these towns and any other ideas on how tolive in the country but still stay in the aviation game. Yes, I am picky andasking a lot, but when my wife and children’s future and life is involved Ifigure I need to be.

Cheers,
RTG.

P.S. AG Flying is out of the question.

Arm out the window
18th Jun 2012, 02:32
Wagga? Looked like quite a bit of activity out of there last time I passed through (2010), not too far from CB or Sydney if you want a city break. Not too sure about the job situation, but it's a thought.

If you don't mind a bit of a commute (hour and a quarter) down from the Atherton Tablelands where I live, Cairns could be good - lots of open space up here. Obviously not great if you're going to work/coming home each day, but would probably work for a job that called for a few days away, then a few days at home (coastwatch etc?)

ForkTailedDrKiller
18th Jun 2012, 03:25
TOWNSVILLE - vibrant, cosmopolitan, big country town! :O

Great climate! :ok:
Lots of fly-in, fly-out! :ok:
Almost non-existent GA! :ok:
Outstanding educational opportunities up to tertiary level! :ok:
Wonderful Barramundi fishing! :E

Dr :8

Capt Claret
18th Jun 2012, 06:29
RTG,

I live just near the Kuranda village on the the Atherton Tablelands. From walking out the front door to signing on in the crew room at Cairns airport is 40mins, maybe 5 to 10 mins extra if peak hour.

No aircon required, great lifestyle and I find the drive up the range to be relaxing. Coastal is for work hassles, which get left there.

Cairns itself is a bit too tourist oriented for my liking so the Tablelands gives us a great place to live and easy access to CNS for shopping or more serious medical than can be got up the hill.

Checkboard
18th Jun 2012, 15:04
Cairns itself is a bit too tourist oriented for my liking ...
Ah, but chasing those tourists on nightstops in the Hilton or the Pathetic International were fun ... ;)

ules
18th Jun 2012, 15:51
May i suggest Newcastle, the cost of living here isn't too extreme, operators with turbo prop's here operating from Williamtown , Qlink, Aeropelican and Brindabella :ok:

Turkeyslapper
18th Jun 2012, 16:40
Toowoomba .....good sized town (100k), great schools et al, and on the edge of a boom in the Surat basin. I reakon it's the best of both worlds, on top of the mountain, plenty of country town aspects yet some good city stuff as well...good restaurants, malls, cinemas, pubs etc.

Sky trans fly out of there in dash 8s and there are other operators.

Cheers