PDA

View Full Version : C130K

dalek
17th Jun 2012, 09:54
Can anyone tell me if any of thr C130K's are still flying?
If so do you know the proposed final flight date?
Is anything planned for the event?

OmegaV6
17th Jun 2012, 10:04
Yes
No
Not to my knowledge

:)

Ken Scott
17th Jun 2012, 13:02
If so do you know the proposed final flight date?

I believe Oct 13 is the proposed withdrawal from service although this has been pushed to the right several times already so it could well go on and on.

I would hope that its last flight would be marked in a suitable manner given the types length of service and its contribution during that time.

But the C130 has always been something of an 'invisible' aircraft to the hierarchy who rarely seem to acknowledge its worth so who knows, maybe they'll just let it slide into history without any attention, whilst 'RAF News' runs another story about the C17/ Typhoon/ GR4*.

(*Delete as applicable!)

NutLoose
17th Jun 2012, 16:51
If you want to buy some you can tender here

Ministry of Defence | Defence For... | Business | DSA | Air Equipment Sales (http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceFor/Business/DSA/AirEquipmentSales.htm)

You will need to set up a little tinpot dictatorship like Scotland is trying to do, as it is a Government to Government sale

collbar
17th Jun 2012, 17:18
The worth of the good old C-130k is defiantly unappreciatedin some parts of the forces. Unfortunately the cost to keep just a few frames availableis outrageous. All those extra crew compared to the J, and all those extra groundcrew man-hours to keep a small additional capability is a huge drain on thefunding of AT.. similar costs are incurred by the VC10 and Tristar fleets shownin the voyager NAO report. Having said that, somebody with some serious cloutmust have had some dirt on the bigwigs to keep the fleet going when the axe wascutting the MPA and Harrier force.

ukcds
17th Jun 2012, 19:23
This will start on September the 1st at 0900z after a fine slap up breakfast , either aa ab or L13 a whistle stop tour of various uk haunts but not limited too Elgin Newquay Manchester Newcastle Edinburgh and London east to France for an over fly after a few ales for night stop Amsterdam. Then Prague, Berlin and Bucharest with a night in the aki arms to end off Europe with tee shirts all round . Pop down to Kenya then to cape town hang a right to the Seychelles skip the middle east .... Well maybe , far east, Australia, New Zealand , Fiji, Hawaii San D, Vegas and Seattle, Anchourage, Calgary, Edmonton, Halifax and St johns, New York, fort Walton beach and Key West. Barbados the Bahamas, 11erife and jersey , Lyneham and then Bzn .... At least that's what I heard .

bobward
17th Jun 2012, 19:25
Don't the Austrians fly the C130K?
I saw at least two skulking down the valleys near Insbruck a couple of weeks ago.

Hope this helps
B
:O

thorpey
18th Jun 2012, 13:05
Always welcome in Jersey

fergineer
18th Jun 2012, 19:49
Omega short and to the point.... What happened????

tarbaby
23rd Jun 2012, 11:43
Would that have have to the standard Nav fit to hang a right form Capetown to the Seychelles>
?

StopStart
23rd Jun 2012, 13:49
Send key setting, over :hmm:

Geehovah
27th Jun 2012, 18:44
One of my early flights as an Air Cadet was in a K
I suffered down the back end as a junior nav going on deployment when all the F4 back seats were full.
I refuelled with gratitude on more than one QRA mission down south.
I tested the old girl and we trained a few crews to make sure they all came home after the various wars - sadly not 100% successful
And............ she still retired after me
The C130K has been a workhorse that we all owe a debt to. I might even admit to a few mates flying them. Now where's that cheers symbol