PDA

View Full Version : Ascension Island Falkands War Book.

tyne
17th Jun 2012, 08:55
Hi, forgive the intrusion but I am hoping one of you can help me.

i recall reading on here a few years ago a thread about a book written about ASI during the Falklands war. Apparently it was about some bossy guy who was in charge of ops there.

Having several full page Ascension Stamps and a Green Mountain stamp in my passport, I am rather fond of the place. Thanks to a troublesome TriStar I spend 5 great days there in 2002 and got the chance to explore teh place a bit.

I am looking for a good read at the mo and if I could find the title, then maybe I will find it on Amazon.

Thanks, Dan.

denachtenmai
17th Jun 2012, 09:25
Google is your friend

Amazon.com: Island Base Ascension Island in the Falklands War (9781904445180): Bob McQueen: Books

Regards,Den.

A2QFI
17th Jun 2012, 12:58
Or in UK
Amazon.co.uk: Used and New: Island Base: Ascension in the Falklands War

Union Jack
17th Jun 2012, 16:07
Apparently it was about some bossy guy who was in charge of ops there.

Tyne - To set the record straight, you can quite happily make two important amendments to this sentence so that it should read:

Apparently it was written by some boss guy who was in charge of ops there.

Quite apart from being a very experienced naval aviator who also commanded at sea and ashore, Bob McQueen was an extremely pleasant and thoughtful "boss" who treated all comers of all ranks with both kindness and consideration. No bossiness there!:ok:

For those who are interested, the following link may be useful:

Whittles Publishing - Island Base - Ascension in the Falklands War - by Captain Bob McQueen (http://www.whittlespublishing.com/Island_Base) and who better to tell the very important part played by Ascension.

Jack

tyne
17th Jun 2012, 20:50
Standing corrected.

It was a thread from many years ago, and my memory failed me.

I saw the book mentioned on line and did wonder if that was the one.

I will get it ordered. Thanks.

exMudmover
18th Jun 2012, 07:10
Union Jack

You are living in a dream world, and I think you have been overdosing on RN Loyalty Pills:

“an extremely pleasant and thoughtful "boss" who treated all comers of all ranks with both kindness and consideration. No bossiness there!”

For a more realistic appreciation of how this person dealt with personnel, read RAF Harrier Ground Attack Falklands - the part where Jerry Pook describes what went on in the Operations room at Ascension during the war.

Union Jack
18th Jun 2012, 21:56
Many thanks for your response Muddy but, bearing in mind PPRuNe rules, specifically regarding "No flaming/personal attacks. (Play the ball, not the player.)" and "No libel or defamation of character.", I speak as I find* whereas you apparently speak as you read.:=

My dark blue pills are just fine, thank you, and don't forget to keep taking your light blue ones - you know the ones I mean ....:D

* based on experience in two separate appointments

Jack

exMudmover
19th Jun 2012, 07:50
Union Jack

Apologies for a rather flippant address to you. I fully accept the PPrune doctrine and repent appropriately. I was just trying to point out that my experience (and that of quite a few other people at the time on Ascension) painted a very different picture to yours. They were tense times.

After 49 years with the Light Blue I am now excused from taking any more Loyalty Pills.

Union Jack
19th Jun 2012, 14:16
A very elegant response exMudmover - Hakuna matata!:ok:

Jack

Basil
19th Jun 2012, 20:27
FFS don't mention Sharkey Ward's book! Oh buggah, I just did! ;)

p.s. Great respect for all who commanded and fought there :ok: