PDA

View Full Version : Light Management

marsattacks
17th Jun 2012, 01:21
Good morning gentlemen ;)

Just came across some means of preventing fatigue. Had a longer discussion on usage of dome light in cruise during nighthours.

How do you guys handle lights in flight - all dark, all bright?

VijayMallya
17th Jun 2012, 01:45
I personally don't like keeping them lights full bright or completely dim unless I'm trying to spot some Wx if my Wx radar is not the most trust worthy some nights...

My current type, the airbus has three positions... Off, Dim and bright.. The dim is where I'm the most comfortable at..

zlin77
17th Jun 2012, 03:59
Unless there is WX around, I prefer a bright flight deck, also anything is better than sitting in semi-darkness for over 12 hours on a long-haul flight.

DBate
17th Jun 2012, 15:01
Personally, I do not mind sitting in a dark flight deck at night. But usually I ask my colleague what he (or she) prefers. In some situations I prefer a dark flight deck, e.g. during WX avoidance or when flying over Africa.

There are some airlines, which at least recommend keeping the dome light on during night flights to prevent fatigue. Swiss e.g. is one of them if I am not mistaken.

parabellum
17th Jun 2012, 22:01
The USAF have done a mountain of research on this subject, (as well as pre-flight rest and meals, in-flight rest and meals etc.) and their conclusion was that fatigue could be reduced by as much as 75% by having a bright flight deck in the cruise sector.

Bear in mind also, from the medical point of view, at night, unless you are actually focused on something, like CBs, another aircraft etc. then your eyes are naturally focused only nine inches on the other side of the windscreen, not much use at all really!

Rule of thumb, unless you are looking for, or avoiding weather, or over Africa and similar places then a bright flight deck during the cruise is a good idea.

ei-flyer
18th Jun 2012, 16:22
I have lights OFF during night flights. If the FO complains I give 'em the 'night vision' story, but secretly I just like the dark ;)

PT6A
19th Jun 2012, 02:21
I actually think Airbus also recommend having the lights turned on during the cruise at night, this was in one of their getting to grips guides on fatigue.

Personally for me unless there is weather, or I am looking at the stars or something... then I have them turned on.

As others have pointed out sitting in the dark is not much use at all, as your eyes are not focused much beyond the windshield so wont see anything anyway.

Fatigue is the greater risk.

parabellum
19th Jun 2012, 03:12
IGh - The research was published in two or three soft covered, buff coloured books that my AME kept in his surgery, the crews of the continually airborne B52s were the source of the test material, I used to read them whilst waiting to do my medical!

As others have pointed out sitting in the dark is not much use at all, as your
eyes are not focused much beyond the windshield so wont see anything
anyway.

Fatigue is the greater risk.

Agreed 100%

Uplinker
19th Jun 2012, 03:31
Don't really see the point of sitting in the dark for hours on end, unless there are CB's around. Or the Aurora Borealis (spelling?) to look at.

Much more comfortable to have the lights on - especially when PNF; doing all the paperwork. After all; you're both wanting to stay awake aren't you?

Horizon - at night ? You've got three artificial ones to look at.

oceancrosser
20th Jun 2012, 18:28
The concept of BRIGHT office for night-shift employees was published decades ago: But I'ld challenge any suggestion that USAF wants all cockpits BRIGHT at night, or that pilots should NOT see outside visual cues during night-CRZ (Saint Elmo's fire, islands or cities along route, cloud shapes & cell-tops, rime under a wiper-blade).

Lights on at night please. If there is Saint-Elmo's fire, then there are storms around and potential lightning, we use radar to detect those you know. Potential lightning is yet another reason to keep max lighting on.
Islands or cities... not for navigation any more, could not care less unless I particularly want to see a certain island or city. Cloud shapes & cell-tops? On a moonless night? Your eyesight is a darn lot better than mine.
Rime under a wiper-blade? Naah way above that in my region of flying. Most of my flying is crossing the North-Atlantic, not much to see, but a long time to stay awake on the eastbounds. Light helps.

Fly3
21st Jun 2012, 01:29
I was working with the US navy in the late 1970's when the USAF conducted trails with regard to use of cockpit lighting at night and fatigue. I can back up Parabellum's statement that their conclusion was that the use of bright lights reduced the level of fatigue markedly and was strongly recommended.
As for the having the dome lights on DIM at least on Airbus aircraft, this is to ensure minimum area lighting in the event of an Emer Elec Config situation where only the right dome light will be available.

flyingchanges
21st Jun 2012, 02:29
Night vision does not matter if you are asleep...

Lights bright for me.

Slasher
21st Jun 2012, 03:00
Clear wx - bright to stay awake
Dark and stormy - off for obvious reasons
Full moon - off (romance of flight and all that crap)
Power nap - off or dim
Default pref - bright

stilton
21st Jun 2012, 08:03
Easy to blunder into a build up with lights on bright and you haven't seen it on the radar.

Personally I find bright lights more fatiguing on a long night flight as well so dark is how we go but that is my preference.

When I was in the RHS I had no choice !

Geardownandlocked
21st Jun 2012, 08:20
Do you NOT wish to see outside? See no visual horizon?

No thanks! That's a sure way to get into unusual attitudes. I've got three trustworthy ones in front of me.