PDA

View Full Version : military chart symbols

jc2065
16th Jun 2012, 17:12
Hi

Can anyone please explain the following 3 symbols on the MOD charts?

1) Purple(ish) radiating lines, rather like an 8-spoked bicycle wheel sometimes with an alphanumeric designation or asterisked number (height?)

2) "Inverted blue pac man" on the half-mil chart with a number after it in the format "x/xxx" or on the quarter mil chart either shaded or with a "W" next to it.

3) The red diamonds, sometimes in a shaded ring.

I trust you won't think it a risk to security to explain these symbols. I gave back my ID card a long time ago...

Thanks in advance.

Sun Who
16th Jun 2012, 17:25
I"ve been using civ charts for a while now, so others may need to correct my reply but, from memory:

purplish radiating lines - JTIDS avoidance 'area'.
Inverted pacman - parascending.
Red diamond - industrial avoid

As I said, it's been a while, so I may be wrong.

Sun.

Pure Pursuit
16th Jun 2012, 17:34
Sounds good to me.

jc2065
16th Jun 2012, 17:39
Thanks fellas.

Aynayda Pizaqvick
16th Jun 2012, 17:56
Sounds bad to me...

The purple shape you describe sounds more like a High Intensity Radio Transmission Area (HIRTA), the numbers and letters beside it being the frequency band and the worst case avoidance height. A JTIDS avoid is more like a wheel rim with cog teeth all around it.

The upside down pacman is a hangliding site, the W signifying that a winch system may be used (up to 3000' at normal glider sites) and the number represents the LFA and site number.

The diamond could either be an industrial avoid as mentioned above but could equally be a nature reserve.

frodo_monkey
16th Jun 2012, 20:13
^^ Wot he said - used to teach that stuff! Red diamonds are normally 0.25nm/2000' avoids unless the chart says different IIRC...

Pure Pursuit
16th Jun 2012, 21:00
Apologies, it's been a while!

jc2065
17th Jun 2012, 02:53
My thanks to all of you for your contributions.

Sun Who
17th Jun 2012, 06:22
Aynayda Pizaqvick is correct, my explanation was wrong (except the industrial avoid).
My brain ain't wot it used to be.

Sun.

Courtney Mil
17th Jun 2012, 10:19
Oh, now you tell me! I always thaught the red diamonds were there to be joined up to make a low level route! And the Shobden magnet, of course.

:cool:

unclenelli
17th Jun 2012, 15:24
Get yourself a MilFlip (https://www.aidu.mod.uk/Milflip/NewUser.php?) account and download the LFC legend

They are:
HIRTA
Hang-glider site
Industrial/Nature Reserve

jc2065
17th Jun 2012, 18:13
Thanks again!

Pure Pursuit
17th Jun 2012, 19:42
Word of advise when googling MilFlips. Don't do it in front of the wife.

Courtney Mil
17th Jun 2012, 19:43
Oh God! Well said.

BEagle
17th Jun 2012, 20:01
Word of advise when googling MilFlips. Don't do it in front of the wife.

Particularly if using Google Images with Safe Search off....:eek:

Courtney Mil
17th Jun 2012, 20:19
BEags,

I don't know what that means, but Mrs C tells me you're very naughty.

So, explain the red diamonds...

Pure Pursuit
17th Jun 2012, 20:23
On the plus side, if caught with images on your screen, you can always tell your wife that you are trying to download military charts for your next trip.

Courtney Mil
17th Jun 2012, 20:30
PP, yeah. Sterted to write a reoply, but couldn't explain the nak...

Too late now.

BEagle
17th Jun 2012, 20:53
So, explain the red diamonds...

Low Flying Avoidance symbol for industrial sites or nature reserves.

During our low flying training on the G-nat, we all dutifully avoided some LFA avoidance, which was a mink farm in Viet Taff land. However, the druid who owned the place kept ringing up and complaining angrily.

Eventually someone decided to check. Yes, it had been mis-plotted on the official LFC..... So by carefully trying to avoid it, we'd actually been wiring the place - which apparently causes the nasty little $ods to kill each other during their $hagging season...:hmm:

heights good
17th Jun 2012, 21:46
The diamond in a circle is a helicopter only avoid i.e. A prison (normally).

SilsoeSid
17th Jun 2012, 23:07
For the benefit of Flight Safety

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g11/silsoesid/LFC1.png

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g11/silsoesid/LFC2.png

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g11/silsoesid/LFC3.png

@ Crown copyright 2010

Easy Street
17th Jun 2012, 23:16
While we're on the subject of LFCs, does anyone know why the flow system around Cottesmore has been retained? It's not exactly a choke point any more, in fact it's some of the most open airspace in the area! Get rid!