PDA

View Full Version : How long will EK DEC program continue

Germanflyer
30th May 2012, 13:30
Hey fellow aviators.
I am a new poster here. But I was interested in the EK Dec programme. But since i am not getting leave from my current outfit, and due some very serious domestic issues, cannot attend or apply for Dec at Ek for at least 2 months.
Can anyone tell me how long might this Dec program expect to last.
Is it here to stay or is it a small window ie they stop when they meet their numbers.
Anybody with a reliable timeline. Would certainly help. Current outfit in bad shape. Need help. Thanks.

millerscourt
30th May 2012, 15:05
It will probably run for ever but do not expect anybody in EK to help you out.

Get an application in now would be my advice as I assume you can delay an interview if selected to suit your timeframe.

donpizmeov
30th May 2012, 16:42
gestapo,

The number of DECs required seems to change quite a bit. I believe they are looking for 70ish this year (I am sure someone else will have better idea of the number). We were told that none would be hired after this financial year, however, things do change. I don't know how many have been selected so far, so as Millers says, apply and see what happens.

The Don

30th May 2012, 17:06
So, Gestapo, you think it is funny to name yourself after the secret police responsible for murder,terror,deportation and torture of thousands, if not millions? Ever heard of Anne Frank? Or the Scholl siblings? Still laughing?
Shame on you.

littlejet
30th May 2012, 17:06
what's with the first post? Why hiding? And the user name?!? Tell us that you have a dinner plate with the swastika on the back locked on display in your study room.

Old King Coal
30th May 2012, 17:38
711 - The irony of your post might be lost upon you; wherein, with a name like that (i.e. Gestapo) I suspect he'd fit right in!... in that (in case you haven't noticed) the vast majority of Arab countries are not fans of either that State of Israel, and / or Jews, and / or anybody else who's not of their religious 'faith' (with the vast majority of us being classified as 'infidels' no less; all be it necessary infidels). ;)

30th May 2012, 18:15
Old King,

the Arabs don't like Jews??? Wow, this is amazing stuff, never thought about that, are you really really sure? Where did you hear that??? This is mind blowing stuff, thanks for the info!.:mad:

This is not about anybodys "irony" and not about Arabs, and of course I understood the intended "joke", that is precisely my point.

Why is it funny or ironic to name oneself after a secret police that killed hundred of thousands of innocent people, among them women, children, jews and non-jews ? Because the Arabs don' t like Jews ? Ha Ha Ha.

I say it is simply ignorant and disgusting.

Old King Coal
30th May 2012, 19:18
711: dude, I think you need to take a chill pill, you're coming across as something of a zealot! a chill pill for 711

tommy4931
30th May 2012, 20:11
What is a DEC program? I am a 737 CA for UAL and am thinking about expat flying.... Trying to get all the lingo down... Thanks guys.

Direct Entry Captain?

tommy4931
30th May 2012, 22:21
Is there any policy in place for upgrades?

Fart Master
31st May 2012, 02:51
Tommy, no, there is no policy for upgrades, everybody is an FO......Please excuse the sarcasm, of course there's a policy, it's a bloody airline.......

Germanflyer
31st May 2012, 05:15
Guys thanks for the info. But i really can't apply for at least 4 weeks. And someone close to managment in ek tells me that the Dec programme is nearly over. They have made their numbers. Cut down the 'original' requirment by about 50%. Therefore now have numbers.
Poor fellows with interviews in july will be sent home with some reason or another. Plenty of traps until the medicals i am told. So plenty of reasons to say bye bye to dec candidate. No guilt there.
This was told to me by a colleague. Therefore i was asking here.
@tinyjet. Yes i have the plate.

helen-damnation
31st May 2012, 05:35
We have hired 40 DECs who have less experience than current FOs in the company in terms of their previous command time

Not entirely true. Some are guys coming back (that's for another thread) who probably have more time in EK than you and me!

Having said that, I entirely take your point :O

donpizmeov
31st May 2012, 06:51
If management admit that, and do nothing about it, they are not doing their job! No surprise there I guess.

the Don

millerscourt
31st May 2012, 07:07
What a shame that 411A can no longer join in with his advice for DEC's

Germanflyer
1st Jun 2012, 06:38
By what i heard, they needed 150 originally. But now with the whale programme running on thin ice the revised numbers were 100. A lot were retreads. Therefore numbers have more or less been met.
The rest of the 'invites' will be found one reason or another to be sent home....:cool:
I wonder if it's still worth it, with the syrian/iranian issues running so tight and all the ME looking like a pool of gasoline in an electrical thunderstorm.
Time for me to seriously reconsider.
Which, i guess could also be the reason behind the 'haggling' of the 180's. The haggling was pseudo, the intention real!
Not to invest further in a white elephant in an almost war ridden area.
Just my thoughts.

tommy4931
1st Jun 2012, 19:56
What is the upgrade policy for FOs? Seems like guys there have more than enough experience. I have about 13K-14k hours and 2500 command time on the NG.... What are the requirements for DEC? Not to upset you, just curious.

Apache702
2nd Jun 2012, 01:23
of course not, its just cheaper to take DEC, they dont care in the short term, but medium term it might cost more as the new DEC are not used to the operation and destinations....more chances for mistakes and conflicts to happen
Imagine also the senior FO with loads of experience and previous command time, flying with new DEC that barely meets the requirements, might not be the best for CRM...

Germanflyer
2nd Jun 2012, 01:50
Quite frankly, they won't even touch anyone 'that barely meets requirments'. Whatever that means. Whoever(besides the favoured ones), who make it to the program will have tons of experience and skill. Equivalent or more than your regular joe ek captain. That's a taken.
I, however can't comment on the 'golden children'.....:ouch:

Poire
2nd Jun 2012, 02:53
I have flown with a bunch of DECs during my time here at EK. Most were aware of their shortcomings, regarding company procedures and routes. A few were arrogant and bad pilots, to say the least.

DECs are a normal occurrence at EK since its inception; the (mis) management will always resort to them to save a few dirhams.

To clarify ... Arabs don't like the Israelis and Zionists. The problem is that most Israelis belong to the Jewish faith; thence, the misconception.

GoreTex
2nd Jun 2012, 06:16
EK hired DEC's since 1985 and will continue to do so, they just change the requirements from time to time, they lower them usually, now you dont't even any widebody experience anymore.

fade to grey
2nd Jun 2012, 18:05
God, you'd be surprised to know that pilots other than emirates SFOs , can actually fly your aircraft types, and quite possibly manage to convert to your routes.

DECs stealing the commands you so seem to think you deserve ? Tough sh.. This industry is a nightmare and the accounts don't give a toss about your career dreams.

donpizmeov
2nd Jun 2012, 20:16
Leave it alone fade. All FOs at EK joined knowing about DECs slowing commands and thought it ok. Doesn't mean they would enjoy flying with a bore like you though.
Luckily recruiting does a pretty good job of preventing that from happening.

The Don

tommy4931
3rd Jun 2012, 03:16
I've been following this thread, and I'm curious as to what the upgrade policy is. It seems as if it is somewhat hit or miss. Is there any trigger that qualifies an fo for an upgrade? And if so, is there a pool that they are drawn from. Thanks guys....

A380 Jockey
3rd Jun 2012, 14:13
The DEC program has seen the light of day. They have made their numbers.....whatever they were.
Now it's a matter of how politely (or otherwise) the 'other' candidates are told goodbye. But goodbye it will be.
Just my take....:cool:

Drums only
3rd Jun 2012, 14:48
@ A 380 jockey:
Why do you think would they still invite candidates if they had enough? They pay for the flights, the hotel and the meals and so on... If nobody is needed they could easily save all the costs by just telling the candidates to stay home. So far i haven`t heard of interviews being cancelled.

White none please
3rd Jun 2012, 20:43
People have be invited as recently as 3 days ago , for interview dates , early June.

White none please
3rd Jun 2012, 20:44
Sorry, that should have been early July!

Payscale
4th Jun 2012, 05:13
We need them because we are at the bottom of the "qualified FO list", according to the OM-A criteria. So either hire DECs or change the criteria. With the failure rate of the command candidates these days, I can understand why the went with DECs. I just hope the ones that come are ex EK or very qualified long haul commanders and not B737/A320 pilots looks for a big jet - although I dont blame them.

A380 Jockey
4th Jun 2012, 08:51
Drums,
Its not as if they WANT to invite and fail. It's the ones that they have already invited and now don't want since they've reduced or met their numbers that i'm talking about. And once they've met their numbers, it doesn't matter how qualified you are or how well you perform.
They'll find a reason to get rid of you. That was my point.

Basic Service
4th Jun 2012, 13:45
Hello all,

Interesting thread...Not surprised that the ministry of disinformation is gearing up, no one likes to see people coming in to take a position that most would rightfully feel is theirs. That said, as I understand it, the DEC's are either retreads, or highly experienced wide and narrow body Captains. Moreover, they are almost entirely made up of TRE's. This is to plug a gap in the ranks following a period of quiet in recruiting. Like it or ( more probably ) not, these bods were probably Captains before some of the existing EK F/O's had their first trial lesson.

Sorry to disappoint the doom mongers, but the DEC process is still very much in motion with a group about to recieve DXB tickets to the last stage of the process following a sim assessment in the UK. I can assure you that they are not being given a free trip to Dubai for nowt. Most know each other and have assurances from the highest level, that its more about please would you join us, than would we like you to join us. Dont forget to smile when you see them, you might find yourself sitting in front of them in the sim sooner than you think.:ok:

Germanflyer
5th Jun 2012, 13:28
What sims in UK.
I'm not aware of any sims in any other city besides dxb.

fatbus
5th Jun 2012, 14:02
BS you might be stretching things a bit with "would you please come to Dubai". Yes they do have a lot of experience but they still have to pass the assessment. Last I heard is they will have to do the full NAC course and if not successful there is no job. After that then there is the entire Emirates instructor course. BTW it looks like a previous 330 trainer is coming back as a 777 DEC, what's with that. If they bring attitude, well, look out!

donpizmeov
5th Jun 2012, 14:47
fatbus,

I believe B777 was how HR meant to spell A330 on his contract. I believe it has been fixed and he is in fact returning to the bus.

Interesting to see the attitude of some of the wannabes. Also interesting to note not one Dec applicant shared any info of the process on this site. Is it only FOs that try and help each other?

I wonder why these experienced chaps would be jumping to join on a EK year one captain pay, when higher starting paying jobs are out there. Maybe its a large watch thing? Or is it yet more Thomas cook guys? I wonder how that happened?

The Don

Germanflyer
5th Jun 2012, 18:01
Wtf was that......???!
@sitting on a pot smokin' pot, translate into english please. Or for that matter any language understood to us humans ...:confused:

Poire
5th Jun 2012, 22:01
Gestapo, you need to be with EK for a while to appreciate what Sittingidly is talking about. It is a funny thing, though.
Das ist lustig :D

Kabul 1
6th Jun 2012, 02:39
I m curious. How many hours has a senior FO in Emirates .?
Thank you

clear to land
6th Jun 2012, 03:15
Depends where they came from,when they joined, and how the constantly changing Upgrade Policies affected them . Some have well in excess of 12k, others-who are the new hires under the reduced requirements-have just over 2.5k. Have one friend with over 16k and 5 years who can't Upgrade due to the fleet he was put on and with the current Upgrade rules/Type Freeze is still at least 2 years away from an Upgrade Course. Bottom line-there is extensive experience in the FO ranks, but if you are on the 'wrong fleet'...welcome to the Middle East.

fatbus
6th Jun 2012, 04:30
By wrong fleet I gather you mean 777 when referring to upgrades. Over 100 now and the fleet plan is 160, meaning he who is hired now needs 200 ( not in the plan ) to upgrade. AB ( 330+ 380 ) is at @60 now and planned 90 380 and 70 350 ( don't think the 359 is going to come ) . Looks better on the bus for upgrades long term and for those joining now there is not an AC to upgrade on IE 160 in fleet now going to 280 by 2020 please do the math , don't come for a "quick upgrade" and bitch about all the time. Just enjoy the job, if you can.

duststorm
6th Jun 2012, 10:43
Hi Mr FatBus
What is a Full NAC course ?
Please

MagicCarpet
6th Jun 2012, 16:56
By wrong fleet I gather you mean 777 when referring to upgrades.

As of right now, June 2012

Most junior 777 captain hired Oct 2008 – 3yrs 8mo with the company
Most junior 330 captain hired Nov 2007 – 4yrs 7mo with the company
Most junior 380 captain hired July 2002 – 9yrs 11mo with the company

fatbus
6th Jun 2012, 17:56
MC , I was not referring to the present day upgrades I was referring to the new hire FO and when and on what they will up grade.

The full NAC course is 6-7 Sims plus 3 LOS's and an LOE

donpizmeov
6th Jun 2012, 18:07
Magic,

As fatbus stated the current stats mean nothing for a new joiner. These Statistics only mean something to those that joined 5yrs ago.

Interesting that 2yrs ago the command on the A330 was taking over 5.5yrs and the 777 was at 3yrs. Notice any trend at all?

In 2002 a A330/310 commands was 18mths for and accelerated guy and 3 yrs fo everyone else. We had guys being accelerated onto 777 commands from the 330, while fellas with 3yrs in the company on the Boeing were left behind, as the only commands avail for a while on the 777 were "Transition ones". Leroy would put a 330 dude on NAC at 2.5yrs in the company while the 777 dude could not start until 3yrs in the company were completed. Only stating this because the two fleets have always been treated as separate with respect to rules. And it shows how things change.

Look again at what fleet numbers fatbus posted, and think about what these mean to a new joiner.

The Don

maghy
7th Jun 2012, 09:54
Dear Don,
I myself will be joining EK shortly as f/o 777. Do all the threads mean i can Just dream about an upgrade in the near future? Thank's for tour time.

M.

maghy
7th Jun 2012, 09:56
"your" time. Dam autocorrect !

donpizmeov
7th Jun 2012, 13:29
Maghy,

I have no inside info. We have been told that DXB capacity is limiting EK expansion to 260/280 aircraft (cant remember which it is) until it moves to the new aiport in 2025. EK has 176 aircraft now. So lets call it fleet growth on 100 airframes in the next 13 years.
We now have 107 of the 160 Boeings we have been told will be in the fleet.
Going by the orders now the Boeing fleet will grow by just under 50% and the Bus fleet by a bit over 90% in the next 13 years.
I think its 65 DECs that are being hied this year.
Plan on a longer time for a command, and be pleasantly surprised if it happens earlier.

The Don

maghy
7th Jun 2012, 14:29
Don, Thank you for the answer. I'll take my patience bag along with me in the desert then.

vikena
7th Jun 2012, 16:18
Hi all,

Within 48hrs of submitting my online application to Emirates for DeC my status indicated short listed. But 3 weeks later no phone call or no contact.

Anyone any idea what's happening?

V

Germanflyer
20th Jun 2012, 10:49
Aha.....my thread returns!
Thanks mods....
Good to know someone's listening out there(and watching....).
;)

fatbus
21st Jun 2012, 06:26
If you knew who is in charge of manpower planning you would realize the mess they are in. The DEC thing changes daily. Latest is very few, they needed them NOW not 6 months from now and they cant train them fast enough. The focus is now on the 380 and how they are going to fix that one.

Jetaim
23rd Jun 2012, 09:23
All the time I read of a guy from Europe joining EK I feel sad. I just hope you did not leave a job to join the circus. Maghi just have crystal clear into your mind that there are three type of pilots in EK. One are the desperate that joined because they lost their job. They would leave tomorrow if they could. You will not read them here as they had no choice. I would say it is the majority.Than there are those in good faith that fell into the EK trap and ended up in desert. They soon realized their error and at the first occasion jumped ship...a minority. But there is substantial number of short dicked imbecils that you would read here that are still trying to convince themselves that the sorry life they are doing in one of the biggest ****hole of the world is a good life. To convince themselves they tend to try convince others. Are the one doing he bean counters on fleet numbers, upgrade times ect etc in the free time they have from their night turns to India and they try to compensate with optimistic views and suggestion the fact that de facto they are slave without whatsoever right. Listen to me your are still in time. It will take a decade to upgrade at least. Ek has peaked already . Arrogance had made his time and its time for aviation to back to country that have an actual population. EK is just a monster created by globalization with a certain destiny: extintion.

Payscale
23rd Jun 2012, 12:47
Remember that all the guys you dispense advise left right and center about the state of the business and time to commands for new hires are just stating a preference or guessing.
Noone can for sure tell you when you will upgrade. Not in Emirates. Not anywhere. When I started in aviation 25 years ago I was told, that i would be a captain in 5 years. Had I stayed with this airline I would still be an FO.

There are not 3 types of pilots in EK. There are +3200.... we all have different reasons to being here.

Fact is very few people have left. Remember it is an expat airline and so eventually we will all leave.

We are not slaves as someone suggested. Not more so than anyother employee in any job around the world. We are all on the same treadmill and slaves of our own ambitions and aspirations.

Personally I have had 10 great years in EK so far and my family is happy, so I will stay a little longer...

Someone wrote the time to command on the different types. The A380 time is wrong. The least senior capt on the fleet hold a management position, hence is out of seniority. Time to command on the A380 is approx 10,5 years today, but the real picture wont emerge untill the pilots who were hired while the A380 was in the fleet come up for command on it. Then it will come drastically down

cerbus
23rd Jun 2012, 17:10
Keep in mind that most the EK pilots think this is a good job. JetAim I don't know if your numbers are accurate but are probably pretty close to the truth.
Most of the good pilots have already left. Wait to the world economy turns around and see the exodus.

BYMONEK
23rd Jun 2012, 19:09
Cerbus and Jetaim

'Short dicked Imbecils'

'Most of the good pilots have already left'

We are all entitled to our opinions and how we view our employer and working conditions. However, when this 'opinion' involves emotional diatribe directed towards the very people you have to sit next to and work with, it over steps the line. Not only do I consider it insulting, it also demonstrates how immature you both are. You wouldn't quote that at work so why do you find it acceptable to make those sweeping statements here? Anonymity doesn't hide your ignorance!

These forums are open to the public and are often read by people who fly EK. I just hope that they have the intelligence to realise that the great majority of the pilots here are highly professional individuals who actually respect their fellow co workers.

Maybe that's something you should both consider....whilst you're still here!

King on a Wing
23rd Jun 2012, 20:13
Just a fleeting thought here.
Are they still interviewing for DEC positions. Last I heard, they were full up and were basically going thru the motions with those that they had invited before the dramatic cut in the numbers actually required.
I know a few who did interviews last couple of weeks and only a couple made it thru to the meds. This, out of the 16 who were invited.
Even after the medical they don't know whether they are in or not. By what I made out, BOTH are certain they won't be called for the job due some 'disqualification' at the referees stage or at the medicals.
I guess the numbers are made and the seats are taken. Now it's just about lip service to those invited.
Comments welcome.

donpizmeov
23rd Jun 2012, 23:43
It costs EK travel accommodation and meals to get someone over for an interview. Knowing how Ek does not waste money I would assure your friend that any non acceptance would be due to poor performance not EK face saving. Hope this helps.

The don

Swan Man
24th Jun 2012, 06:20
Respect the pilots at EK Bymonek?
This is from pilots that I have heard from directly;
"The company has said that hiring DECs will not delay my upgrade."
Please explain to me how putting 150 or so DECs (I would like to use another four letter word here) in front of you will NOT delay your upgrade. Which is worse in this case Emirates hiring DECs or delusional pilots believing the crap management spouts?
"This is the best job in the world, bar none."
No this is the best job you can get. Emirates is not the best job in the world, not by a long shot. Please pull your head out of your arse and take a look around you. Do you see any LH, AF or BA pilots here? There is a reason you don't see any of those pilots here. They don't want to take a pay cut and fly more hours.
So these are the pilots we are suppose to respect? These same pilots that couldn't get hired at a good airline and now think EK is the be all end all of aviation. Please help us!

givemewings
24th Jun 2012, 06:49
Swan Man, that is YOUR opinion, that it is NOT the best job in the world.

And the guys who say it IS, that is THEIR opinion.

There is actually no right or wrong, it's all in the perspective.

I still don't understand how so many of you can fail to get this.

Okay, I'm not a pilot, but I don't tell the girl working corporate in Saudi that she's wrong when she says her job is the best crew gig in the world. For her, it is. Just as when people try to tell me their job back in Oz is better than mine- I've been there done that, and for me, here is the best. Nothing to do with not being able to be hired or not by anyone else, it's about choices. What's good for one is not necessarily good for the other.

The endless bagging of people who are happy in the M.E. on this forum is kind of killing it to be honest. It used to be fun here. Some of you accuse the guys here that enjoy life of trying to 'justify' their taking the job. I would turn it around and say that all you saying "it's the worst job in the world, woe is me" that haven't actually been here are trying to justify NOT being here...

That's my 2c, I'm off to brew the coffee...

Rizla2002
24th Jun 2012, 07:51
So these are the pilots we are suppose to respect? These same pilots that couldn't get hired at a good airline and now think EK is the be all end all of aviation. Please help us!
I don't remember so many recruiting programs from these majors in the last 10 yrs...so please forgive us if we didn't wait for the big Airlines and we accepted to fly for one of the not so posh jobs in the industry. In the meantime our fellow pilots in their goldshells, well paid and protected...have always refused to share their lovely working conditions by, for example, promoting a minimum contract for the pilot community.

fatbus
24th Jun 2012, 08:12
Don't know about AF but there is pilots from BA and LH here. Swanny , when you do get to the upgrade good luck with that , youare going to need it!

Swan Man
24th Jun 2012, 08:21
It is quite easy to see who the best airlines in the world are. We can look at the hourly wage, days off and T&C of the world's airlines. Your answer may vary but it will probably be the same 10 airlines in the Top 10 but a different order. By any account of the 3 items listed above EK will not be in most pilots Top 10. That is if we look at the hard facts. We haven't even touched on living in Dubai and how expensive it is. Plus the fact the Emirates hires DECs which greatly detracts from the long term prospectives of any pilot not to mention surpresses wages at the airline.
If pilots here think EK is the best job in the world they need some serious help or they have been dipping into their wives "Happy Pills" again.
And how many LH or BA pilots are here Fatty? 3 or 5.
Keep brewing wings. Isn't there a stewedress section of pprune

Payscale
24th Jun 2012, 08:33
Swn Man... you ARE an ugly duckling! :*

As someone else was trying to explain. Some people like it. Others dont. It cannot be decided which is the best airline to work for.
Find one that suits your personality and be happy...

givemewings
24th Jun 2012, 09:19
Isn't there a stewedress section of pprune

(it's spelled "stewardess" btw)

Yes there is, you might find it more suited to yourself since you demonstrate the CRM skills of an ab initio GR2.

Wait, that's an insult to GR2s....

Yet another example of snobbery toward someone based on their job. I wasn't always cabin crew, and neither were most of my colleagues. Some of them are even smarter than you (PhD in physics, on one of my recent flights)

FYI, the ME forums is for ALL expats flying in the sandpit, not just pilots. Get over yourself.

170to5
24th Jun 2012, 09:34
Swan man

Any reasonable human being would be ashamed of themselves for writing that. I don't care what you think of your job...and there are others available out there...to belittle someone else in such a way actually makes me embarrassed to hold the same licence as you.

A proper 60's mentality. I hope wings has the good fortune to be the one to make your next coffee.

harry the cod
24th Jun 2012, 09:47
Givemewings

Just ignore Swan Man and rise above his childish insults. He's probably divorced because his wife is sick and tired of his constant moaning and he's a complete old woman when it comes to operating in 'his' flight deck. You know the sort, the type that demand the fancy coffees and pillows before you've even had a chance to introduce yourself. Like others here, his lack of courtesy and respect to fellow aviators is rather telling of him as an individual. This is a public forum. You post here as much as you want!

Swan Man

If it bothers you so much about our fellow cabin crew joining the debate, may I recommend you sign up for the dedicated EK pilot group. You will be required to validate your identity to a moderator. Those with nothing constructive to offer often hide behind the cloak of anonymity so I shall not hold my breath on that one.

Harry

p.s Jetaim

My wife would like to know how you know me so well without ever having met me? Quote; "small dicked imbecile". She's asked that you PM her with your predictions for this weeks Euro Lottery. When we win, not only will I get a penis enlargement, I'll also pay to have your large appendage removed from your forehead! :E

givemewings
24th Jun 2012, 09:53
Don't worry, I realise that the outdated views of Swanny are in the minority in our flight decks. Thank goodness. And luckily most of you realise it's a bad idea to mess with the people serving you food.... ;) (Joke! Before you run off dobbing to fleet... :E)

Had I listened to all the moaners on the cc forum I would never have made the move out here, and I would have missed out on some of the best times of my life! Crap, not crap, our experiences make us who we are in the end, who are we to deny that to someone else? By all means give the facts and your opinion, but don't get the two confused. Then everyone can make up their own mind...

I intend to continue posting where I feel inclined, as you guys have said it's a public forum, and I thought you might like to know that as an interested observer some of the posters here come across as all-knowing all-mighty and really need to take a good look at themselves before bagging out someone else's choice to be happy.

gmw... bringing the coffee, staying for the flying talk :ok:

Al Murdoch
24th Jun 2012, 10:00
I still want to know why Jetaim doesn't work at EK anymore... Come on, the suspense is killing me.

cerbus
24th Jun 2012, 10:37
With all the pilots that EK has fired over the years you probably could nail it down to 25 or so pilots that have got the heave how.
Wow there are a lot of people that think EK is good and not just pilots. A PHD cabin crewing for Emirates? Now that is a serious case of over qualified job description. What a waste of time and money spent studying to get your PHD.

givemewings
24th Jun 2012, 10:50
She wanted a few years off to enjoy life before being chained to a desk. You'll find quite a large percentage of the cabin are overqualified on paper for what they do... we've got lawyers, doctors, EMT, civil engineers, architects. Those of you who thin kwe just bring the coffee might like to ask what we did prior, next time... we've got some interesting people working with us... not just you lot with all the good stories ;) :ok:

back to DECs...

vfenext
24th Jun 2012, 11:38
Jetaim never worked for EK, guaranteed!

DesertHawk
27th Jun 2012, 09:08
SWAN:

FYI i think no one would argue being a top guy at BA or AC or AA or FED ex would be great, maybe the best job in the world. Guess what, it takes 25 years to get there and the TC are changing in all these places as well. The golden days are over. So hard fact is working in EK or a similar outfit is usually a much faster way to make decent money and fly big metal. Its like comparing apples to oranges! For instance u join Flag carrier in US/Canada take MIN 12-15 years to make capt on A320. u join Ek or EY u make command within 5 or so years the whole time making command salaries(tax taken into account) back home. So yeah EK aint the greatest but we all didn't get hired at 21 at BA!!!!:ugh:

Also FYI many EK and other guys in middle east could easily go back and get a job at those airlines. The difference is TIMING!!!! when they would of jumped at the opportunity they did not get interview due to economic environment and airlines were not hiring. So they went off and forwarded their own careers and probably had a family. Now it would be a massive hit with a few kids to go home and sit in RHS for less money. BTW speaking form personal experience! I find it amusing how people don't realize that most of what happens in our careers is a combination of luck and timing!

harry the cod
28th Jun 2012, 18:18
'......most of what happens in our careers is a combination of luck and timing!'

Yep, that just about sums up all my landings. :ooh:

Harry

fliion
29th Jun 2012, 08:59
The same guys slagging off EK with the typical "... You're all drinking kool-aid.." argument have never provided the links to airlines that are hiring and are better than here.

So let's have it...where should we go? And why are you still here?

f.

LHR Rain
29th Jun 2012, 10:37
Filly you are such a tosser! Take a look around you and why do we have to provide you with the links to better airlines? Can't you do anything for yourself.

donpizmeov
29th Jun 2012, 12:38
Yes, but LHR you have to admit it becomes a bit tiresome when anonymous folk continually whine about how everyone else in the company is crap for staying in EK or wanting to join EK, when they themselves work for EK. I am not sure how the differentiate themselves from everyone else.
If Swanman thought it was ok to join EK even though FOs were being shafted by DECs at the time, he has no recourse to bitch about it now. He joining knowing this happens is part of the problem. He speaks of top ten airlines etc etc but he would no doubt have taken a quicker command on the Boeing before more senior FOs on the Bus and thought nothing about it.
It would appear he can not take responsibility for his decision to join EK, and now that the big shiny jet syndrome has worn off he needs to vent at and blame others. I do wonder why his previous company (a top tenner for sure) let him go.

The Don

fliion
29th Jun 2012, 13:31
LHR - you articulate my point beautifully.

Instead of naming any airlines (forget the links!) - you use profanity and insult the poster.

So SIMPLY tell us about these airlines.

f.

PS in wash-up they told us 48 former EK pilots applied for DEC, twelve will be taken.

falconeasydriver
29th Jun 2012, 14:10
Bahhhh humbug, my little girl managed a whole sentence in french today, you guys rich in metaphor and spittle really do need to get some perspective:ugh:
Its EK's trainset, they operate in an environment that suits their MO, end of story.

cerbus
1st Jul 2012, 09:34
We still are not discussing that Emirates is the best airline in the world arguement are we?
Why is EK having trouble recruiting pilots if it is the best? Fed Ex opened its application window for 2 weeks and got over 10,000 applications, I don't know how many were qualifed but they do have mins.
We struggle to fill classes from pilots far less qualified then even 4 yrs ago and even overfill the classes because too many fail the course or drop-out or no-show. Hence the "reason" from the company for the dreaded DECs. By the way I think this is the 3rd or 4th time since I have been with the company that the company has put in writing or said in Wash-ups that they were not ever hiring DECs again and then very soon after the memo started hiring DECs.
Most pilots agree that being on the top at BA, AC, LH, or AF you don't look up at too many other airlines. If you come from Mesa, British Charters, LCCs in Europe, or other regionals EK is superb.

pilotday
1st Jul 2012, 12:00
Emirates: Because my home airline does not want me

harry the cod
1st Jul 2012, 16:47
pilotday

Sorry to hear they don't want you. Was it a good airline? Can you not apply to many of the other US airlines that are recruiting right now?

I Know how you must feel. I often miss my old airline with it's never ending night turnrounds and unstable rosters. The staff travel with cramped 29" seat pitch is but a distant dream as is the plastic food in plastic containers eaten with plastic cutlery. The bonus too, missed so much that in 11 years I missed it altogether! And the 45 minute drive to and from work, especially in rush hour. The 5 minute walk in the pissing rain from the car park to a bus, then the warm comfort of a tiny crew room with the same miserable old faces of people doing the same destinations day in, day out. The manual loadsheets and own refueling then do it all the next day.... and the next. At least the suitcase, which I bought myself, stayed looking new.

I did some sums last night. It's vulgar to discuss money, especially on a public forum, but for the benefit of people like you, my reason for being here is clear. So, before the 'keep drinking the cool aid' brigade start, maybe you should visit the website reversetax.com. I'm not going to go into all the details as personal circumstances will differ, but to achieve the same package back home that I get here, I'd need to pull 289K before tax. That's pound sterling my friend, not dollars. I'm a TRI AO, ten years in EK, with children and I live out. I didn't include meal allowances and Company provident fund contributions. The latter has just increased to 15%.

Give it a try. You might be glad your home airline doesn't want you after all!

Harry