PDA

View Full Version : DFW Airport Knows How To Welcome Soldiers

SASless
14th Jun 2012, 16:19
Ran across this a little bit ago....and thought it worth posting. Our folks at DFW and the Patriot Guard Riders Motorcycle group welcome returning military personnel on a regular basis. This one was a bit different and worthy of note.

You think the USA/UK "Special Relationship" has really changed despite the Current Occupant of the White House's conduct?

British Wounded Soldiers at DFW - YouTube

Pure Pursuit
14th Jun 2012, 17:20
Thank you Sasless, that was lovely to watch. The soldiers seem to be enjoying it all too! Quite rightly so.

Geehovah
14th Jun 2012, 17:42
They know how to look after their people. I remember when i was on exchange and the PA at immigration asked all military personnel travelling on orders to come to the front of the line. Nice to be applauded.

It's a contrast to the treatment we dole out, particularly after retirement.

Not Long Here
14th Jun 2012, 18:10
Its also the simple things that make a difference. Don't know about other airports but at DFW, all uniformed personnel are invited into the American Airlines Admirals Lounge when travelling.

Just a simple touch, especially since DFW is the gateway to Fort Hood so there are considerable numbers passing through.

airborne_artist
14th Jun 2012, 18:35
We had a very warm welcome when we spent two hot weeks at Eglin AFB, FL. Not sure the welcome was an officially-organised one but those Southern gals sure like an English accent :E

SASless
14th Jun 2012, 18:54
Folks at Chicago O'Hare Airport (named for a WWII Navy Fighter Pilot) knows how to do it too! The US Navy Recruit Training Center is located there.

The past couple of years now....since the WWII Memorial opened in Washington, DC...."Honor Flight" programs have transported WWII Veterans to DC to view their War's Memorial. The various Airlines and volunteer groups have participated in making those flights a special event.

I see this as a very good thing to do for our Veterans.

Chicago Honor Flight May 11, 2011 - YouTube

Airborne Aircrew
14th Jun 2012, 20:05
Even Detroit honours servicemen...

Link (http://ausaarsenalofdemocracy.org/freedom-center-opens-at-dtw-for-military-families/)

14th Jun 2012, 21:35
The 'Pease Greeters' at Plymouth, the former Pease AFB, meet every military flight that lands there for refuelling, regardless of time of day or night, with a similar welcome into the terminal, where they arrange free pizza, doughnuts, coffee etc. The last time I went through there, the veterans paraded both nations' flags, national anthems were sung, and gifts exchanged. an amazing experience.
The Monarch crews know them quite well by now, as its a regular refuelling stop.

Pease Greeters - Portsmouth, NH - About Us. (http://www.peasegreeters.org/about.htm)

PTR 175
15th Jun 2012, 08:59
BWI was the same. I watched from the balcony as a handfull of local servicemen and women were greeted back home by their base commander and some local dignitories.

There was the usual speaches and a few crates of beer from a local brewery.

It was good to watch.

bobward
15th Jun 2012, 11:48
It doesn't end at the airport either.
On holiday in San Diego a year or so ago, we visited Seaworld. before each of the shows serving service personnel were invited to stand and take a bow from a very supportive audience. Very good to see and gave me a lump in the throat a few times....

SASless
15th Jun 2012, 13:40
We know how to say goodbye to our guys too.

This turnout was for a Marine Lance Corporal killed in action in Iraq.

The video was taken on the trip from Randolph AFB to the Funeral site in his hometown some distance and several towns away.

The family must have taken some solace from this public outpouring of support.

Welcoming Home a Hero - Fallen Marine LCpl Brandon Lara - YouTube

500N
15th Jun 2012, 13:47
It is all very impressive.

What I was also impressed with, regardless of Politics was some time after Bush had left office, he turned up at one of the Texas airports to welcome home troops that he had sent when he was President.

He obviously didn't have to but I thought that was good that he took the time to meet and greet them.

teeteringhead
15th Jun 2012, 14:11
And AMTRAK stations have signs at the ticket office saying uniforms and/or servicepeople to the front of the queue (sorry - line).

SASless
15th Jun 2012, 14:48
500N,

The night of the Fort Hood shootings by the Army Shrink.....Bush went to the base to meet with the victims and families....without any fanfare what so ever.

When Obama finally showed up....with all his fawning media hacks, photographers and sundry hangers on.....he did not even go to the hospital.

He calls that homegrown terrorist attack...."Workplace Violence".

General Casey....made that grand statement where he was concerned the fallout of the Attack would be damage to the Army's Diversity Program!

You reckon our National and Military leadership is in decline under Obama?

President Obama didn't wait long after Tuesday's devastating elections to give critics another reason to question his leadership, but this time the subject matter was more grim than a pair of governorships.
After news broke out of the shooting at the Fort Hood Army post in Texas, the nation watched in horror as the toll of dead and injured climbed. The White House was notified immediately and by late afternoon, word went out that the president would speak about the incident prior to a previously scheduled appearance. At about 5 p.m., cable stations went to the president. The situation called for not only his trademark eloquence, but also grace and perspective.
But instead of a somber chief executive offering reassuring words and expressions of sympathy and compassion, viewers saw a wildly disconnected and inappropriately light president making introductory remarks. At the event, a Tribal Nations Conference hosted by the Department of Interior's Bureau of Indian affairs, the president thanked various staffers and offered a "shout-out" to "Dr. Joe Medicine Crow -- that Congressional Medal of Honor winner." Three minutes in, the president spoke about the shooting, in measured and appropriate terms. Who is advising him?
Anyone at home aware of the major news story of the previous hours had to have been stunned. An incident like this requires a scrapping of the early light banter. The president should apologize for the tone of his remarks, explain what has happened, express sympathy for those slain and appeal for calm and patience until all the facts are in. That's the least that should occur.

Source: nbc chicago

Shack37
15th Jun 2012, 15:13
Was connecting through Atlanta some years ago now, when a group of servicemen returning home arrived, passing through an upper level. No announcement necessary, as soon as someone noticed the groups arrival, stood up and began to applaud, everybody in the airport joined in.
Truly impressive and seemed to be very dusty that day in Atlanta airport.

500N
15th Jun 2012, 18:47
SASless
Interesting and doesn't surprise me about both Bush and Obama.

I think the airport meet and greet by Bush only made the news because it was such a surprise, unannounced visit by Laura and George as from memory, most of the photos I saw were taken by soldiers and families, not the media.

What did strike me was how relaxed he looked in all of them.

Olympos
16th Jun 2012, 13:44
Quote: When Obama finally showed up....with all his fawning media hacks, photographers and sundry hangers on.....he did not even go to the hospital. :confused:

SASless, no matter what your feelings are about President Obama, at least have the courtesy of checking your 'facts' before posting.

snopes.com: Fort Hood Visit (http://www.snopes.com/photos/military/forthood.asp)