PDA

View Full Version : Number of simultaneous used seat power outlets in A380?

Tordan
14th Jun 2012, 06:30
Hi, just curious if there are any restrictions on how many of the available seat power outlets the passengers can use at one time? If there are restrictions, how do they work, do the pax somehow queue for powering their electrical devices, how long usage time do they get etc.

grounded27
14th Jun 2012, 14:09
I am sure the outlets have the same standard protection any other outlet would have. You weren't thinking of plugging in your hair dryer were you? I am confident as long as standard electronics are the limitation, all plugs occupied with one device should not in the worst case scenario pop a circuit breaker.

Tordan
14th Jun 2012, 14:36
No, I think you misunderstand me, or I you ;)
Of the +300 (closer to 400?) outlets between the pax seats, does the aircraft electrical system/generators have enough umph to allow all to be used at once? I read somewhere that a stewardess said that up to 10 simultaneous users got power through the outlet, so I´m curious if this is so and if so, how the management of who and when gets the "juice" so to speak.

grounded27
14th Jun 2012, 15:38
There is one typical breaker to handle "x" amount of outlets/seats, you would typically have this sort of zonal protection. As the load accumulates it may challenge the supply ability of the generators on the engines at this point most aircraft would shed galley load (far greater than all the seats due to high amperage devices such as ovens and coffee makers). No worries.

No there are not restrictions, there are protection devices and logic.

EEngr
14th Jun 2012, 15:57
What grounded says is correct.

Lets look at a few figures. Standard 120V outlets are good for up to 15 Amps. So each group (branch circuit) of outlets would be put on one 15 Amp breaker. That way, no single outlet could be overloaded by the hypothetical hairdryer.

Some engineer probably figured that the average laptop load is 40 Watts (0.33 Amps at 120V). So one branch circuit can support up to 45 outlets. That comes to 9 circuits to support 405 outlets. That's 15 * 120 = 1800 Watts per circuit, or 16.2 kW total. Not insignificant, but that's something that can be handled by most modern aircraft utility buses.

Given some high load transient conditions, the seat power outlets are probably shed temporarily. From the user's point of view, unless their laptop battery is dead flat, they'll never even notice. :8

JamesGBC
14th Jun 2012, 16:10
I had to point out that a socket with a missing cover might not be a good idea to the disinterested cabin crew. Not sure what the earthing circuit is on a Airbus, but did not want to stick my finger on the bare contact to test if it has a ELCB. Lucky it was not a kid in my seat.

Tinstaafl
14th Jun 2012, 16:36
One outlet at your seat not enough? Have trouble charging your phone, laptop, gameboy & portable DVD player at the same time? You need the The Next Big Thing for travel accessories: Mini-four outlet power boards! After all, it's vital that you have access to electricity more than anyone else on the same branch circuit circuit as your seat.

But wait! There's more! Coming soon: Mini 10 outlet travel power boards with additional powered USB slots. You can never have enough electrical devices when sitting in tourist class...

Tordan
15th Jun 2012, 08:16
Thanks for the excellent answers. I also thought I´d link to the text that got me to post the question, the relevant section is right at the end third para up from the summary.

So, an Emirats executive that actually got it right ;)

Travelinsider A380 review (http://www.thetravelinsider.info/airlines/emiratesa380review.htm)

EEngr
15th Jun 2012, 15:05
The answer to who gets or does not get power lies as much with airline policy as it does with system capacity.

20 kW is a small electrical load for something like an A380. Its more likely that the allocation of seat power is made based upon the passenger's class. First/business class get power. Steerage class gets none.

Most of these seat power systems actually have some pretty sophisticated controls which enable the crew to switch individual outlets on or off.

grounded27
16th Jun 2012, 05:27
I would think that each engine has a 120KVA generator on it, a minimum of 90KVA would be minimal standard. Tried a google search and failed. None the less 90KVA=360KVA total would be what a 744 would be capable of. What they allow for personal electronics, I do not know. Most likely 480KVA is available, 20KVA/2000VA would allow for 400 pax to draw 5 amps each, 5 amps is the standard for a pax plug/lav power. There may be a shedding programme but none the less, it sounds like all should be provided sufficient time to charge an electrical device.

cwatters
17th Jun 2012, 07:56
If everyone draws 500W thank goodness there is no problem cooling the cabin in cruise.

Trent 972
17th Jun 2012, 11:50
I would think that each engine has a 120KVA generator on it, a minimum of 90KVA would be minimal standard. Tried a google search and failed.
Close...each engine gen.. 150KVA
(2 APU Gens.... 120KVA each)

grounded27
17th Jun 2012, 15:43
Damn aircraft could power a decent size community at 600 kva.