PDA

View Full Version : Flypast.

Doctor Cruces
13th Jun 2012, 11:54
How nice. Just went out in my back garden to take a photo and I look up in time to see two Typhoons and a VC10 crossing my vision. Max zoom, snap snap! Then two Tonkas and a Sentry followed by a Voyager. Nice pics, thanks guys!!
Heading sort of WNW and probably over Watton airfield.

Any info on why?

Thanks

Doc C

TyroPicard
13th Jun 2012, 12:05
Probably a practice for the 2013 WIWOL golf day flypast ....

f4aviation
13th Jun 2012, 16:47
'Twas a rehearsal for the Queen's Birthday flypast on Saturday - routed from Southwold to Spalding, then headed for Waddington which stood in for Buck House.

cyrilranch
13th Jun 2012, 17:57
just wandering why?
have not the USAF aircraft base at Mildenhall ,not been invite for the Queen's Birthday fly pass.
it would nice to see the F15's and KC135's flying pass for a change;)

ShyTorque
13th Jun 2012, 18:31
Mauve AIC 038/2012 refers, as did the NOTAMs.

dead_pan
13th Jun 2012, 18:47
'Twas a rehearsal for the Queen's Birthday flypast on SaturdayWhat, another one? What was all that do for a few weeks back? The poor old biddy going to get proper bored of traipsing out onto the balcony and trying to look interested whilst gazing skyward.

At least it will cheer up those poor chaps and chapesses who received their P45s or whatever in the post yesterday and that they money saved the taxpayer is being spent on worthy endeavours.

TEEEJ
13th Jun 2012, 19:39
Doc C,

See following

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2012/525/pdfs/uksi_20120525_en.pdf

I had the following over my house in Lincs.

Merlin
King Air
C-130 with two King Air
VC-10 with two Typhoon
Sentry with two Tornado GR4
Voyager

:D

Phil_R
14th Jun 2012, 15:37
The BBMF flew what seemed to be directly over my head on their way to the Jubilee bash. I'm insufficiently plane-spotterish to go to airshows, so I wasn't quite ready for the cacophonic thunder of, what, ten Merlins?

OafOrfUxAche
16th Jun 2012, 11:59
the cacophonic thunder of, what, ten Merlins?

More like 8, but still rather more Merlins than Benson can ever launch at once...

Doctor Cruces
16th Jun 2012, 12:14
Thank you folks, hadn't realised it was Trooping today or I could have guessed. A light bulb illuminated when I turned t' telly on this morning. They all came on when the flypast was on!!

rgds

Doc C

Bryn the Sheepdog
16th Jun 2012, 12:49
The Chief Spoilsport had the tv on and mentioned something about letting me out into the garden after the flypast so I sat and waited patiently. There were some boring clattercopters which I ignored but then I heard it. :) It was very quiet so I listened a bit harder and YES! There it was, a lovely Hercules. :ok: The only problem was the ceiling prevented me from seeing if it was flying very high over my house. :( I haven't seen one for about two years now but I haven't forgotten them. I think there ought to be more of them in these flypasts. :) http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v604/DX_Wombat/Bryn/puppy_wagging_tail-1111.gif

Wander00
16th Jun 2012, 13:01
Am I alone in thinking that the shrinking size of these flypasts demonstrates the extentb to which bthe Royal Air Force has been shrunk beyond what is necessary to meet the commitment. Well done to those who put up the flypast today. Lot of dust in the air in France this morning.

Pontius Navigator
16th Jun 2012, 13:44
We had 4 high powered lawn mowers poluting the village at lunchtime. Three were in a sort of vic and the 4th was trailing and watching.

Once was interesting. Twice let us see them too. Four times and it was just plain annoying. :)

6foottanker
16th Jun 2012, 18:56
Ah, but it means 4 'organisers' get promoted instead of one.:hmm:

SpringHeeledJack
17th Jun 2012, 09:55
Whilst watching the footage of the flypast on BBC I saw a few times a white/jam sandwich Augusta 109 (RAF ?) sitting perhaps 1000ft higher than the flypast path. I seem to remember this was used to choreograph/marshall the participants in the past, was this also the case yesterday ?

Phil_R
17th Jun 2012, 10:16
Appeared to go directly over my head again, which was odd, considering I was a good half mile south of where I was when the BBMF flew overhead.

Does the track change given wind conditions, or am I just less able than I thought to judge what "directly overhead" really means?

Chris Griffin
17th Jun 2012, 15:08
SpringHeeled Jack

The Augusta is primarily a photo / wx platform - all the whipping is done in the respective Southwold holds prior to feet dry.

avturboy
17th Jun 2012, 15:28
Was taking a comfort break at motorway services, Strensham Southbound (junction of M5 - M50) yesterday (Sat) at 10am, the Reds flew over heading approx from west to east couldn't understand why they would be there then, weather was crap so they were flying lowish under the cloud and quite visible. (c 1,000 - 1,500 ft)

advocatusDIABOLI
17th Jun 2012, 16:43
I, as many folks were, hugely impressed by the skill and effort put into the Queen's Jubilee fly pasts.

But, In a time of redundencies / drawdowns / busy folks busy in 'Sandy Places'......... what 'Message' are we sending? Are we saying, we can still do it ALL and More?

I'm fairly sure, some organisers will make next years list, but really, is that what we're about?

You only need to watch the cogs of Gov work close up for about 20 mins, to know they have no clue, or interest as to what it takes to fly that E II R. (Good Job CG, and the Guys / Gals by the way!), or what we really do.

Cut, Cut, Cut is easy if you don't really understand what you are cutting. Oh and your Millitary Commanders are just Yes Men who agree......?

It's been said before, but now after 25 Yrs of my service, I really think we've hit the buffet.

Good Luck to all leaving, and thanks for your hard work while you were 'in'.

Advo

Genstabler
17th Jun 2012, 23:16
Avturboy
According to their published schedule they were probably returning from Bristol to Scampton via a couple of fly-byes, prior to their Buck House sortie.

brit bus driver
20th Jun 2012, 22:15
6foottanker - I can absolutely, 100% guarantee that the organisers of two QBFs a couple of years ago did not get promoted - in fact, we both left!

Out of interest - having just watched the recording, who was flying the Voyager? RAF crew, Air Tanker or a hybrid?!