PDA

View Full Version : Russian helicopters to Syria

tartare
13th Jun 2012, 07:33
R/e HR Clinton's claim today - anyone have any insight (if it is true) on exactly what hardware is being sent to Syria?
More Hind 25/35's?
They have 40+ already.
Poor opposition fighters.
I hope the US Stingers are already on the way...

mlc
13th Jun 2012, 08:30
Stingers?

That went well in Afghanistan!

Lonewolf_50
13th Jun 2012, 13:05
Stingers to Syria?

Agree that's a bad idea.

SA-7 should do the trick, and I suspect there are more than a few of those knocking about the international arms market / black market ... :E

Rosevidney1
13th Jun 2012, 18:42
The SA-7 Stela is old hat and is easily countered. I think the Mil-8/17 Hip may have been selected for (by?) the Syrians as it carries a heavier warload and can deliver a useful number of troops to where they are required.

just another jocky
13th Jun 2012, 19:14
The SA-7 Stela is old hat and is easily countered.

I use Neurophen+ myself, what do you use? :}

tartare
14th Jun 2012, 03:23
Ha - and now I see the Secy of State is backpedalling - the helicopters may not be new at all.
OK - maybe not Stingers - perhaps a box of Iglas or two...?

dead_pan
14th Jun 2012, 07:06
perhaps a box of Iglas or two
I'm sure our new best friends in Libya could spare a couple of container-loads for a worthy cause. Kill two birds with one stone - help the Syrian rebels and stop 'em falling into the wrong hands. Get Ollie North on the case.

ORAC
18th Jun 2012, 21:34
Torygraph: Britain stops Russian ship carrying attack helicopters for Syria (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/syria/9339933/Britain-stops-Russian-ship-carrying-attack-helicopters-for-Syria.html)

Russian ship believed to be carrying helicopters and missiles for Syria has been effectively stopped in its tracks off the coast of Scotland after its insurance was cancelled at the behest of the British government.

Lonewolf_50
19th Jun 2012, 19:13
I don't understand why the Russian ship has, even with insurance being withdrawn, not continued on with the delivery. All that has happened is that risk of financial loss has gone up for a different party.
Do they believe that they'll be in an unseaworthy craft?
Are they at risk for legal action if sailing about uninsured?

What is it about commercial maritime ops that I don't understand that would make this more clear to me? :confused:

ShyTorque
19th Jun 2012, 19:19
Russian ship believed to be carrying helicopters and missiles for Syria has been effectively stopped in its tracks off the coast of Scotland after its insurance was cancelled at the behest of the British government.

Ah, yes - the ultimate deterrent. Pity Hitler wasn't with the Norwich Union.

fltlt
19th Jun 2012, 19:32
Supposedly the US asked you guys to "Stop That Ship!". One has to wonder about international diplomacy.

Pretty sure all the other ones floating around the oceans blue carrying things that go bang are now checking with their insurance companies, not.

Now the poor things have turned off their ident beacon, see how we scared them. You know if we still had some N, N, N what was the name of that updated airliner, we may even be able to follow them.

Oh well, tune in tomorrow for the next nail biting installment of "Where's that ship?"

racedo
19th Jun 2012, 20:12
How dare the Russians get in the way of the bringing Murder and Mayhem to another mideast state.................oops sorry freedom and democracy.

Lonewolf_50
19th Jun 2012, 21:00
Heh, if they stopped squawking, I suspect someone in Gibraltar will eventually report them passing through the straights ... :E

Tankertrashnav
19th Jun 2012, 21:21
racedo - explain how repairing Assad's helicopters and returning them to him is getting in the way of the bringing of murder and mayhem to a Mid East state?

pr00ne
19th Jun 2012, 21:48
Lonewolf_50,

Try driving your car without insurance, or operating a HGV with someone's property on board that you are being paid to transport, with no insurance.

racedo
19th Jun 2012, 22:05
TTN

Never suggested it was the Russkis bringing the mayhem..................suggest its those who live in the sand who formenting revolutions.

Lonewolf_50
20th Jun 2012, 13:46
I drove my car without insurance for a year and a half back in the 80's.

The car still worked. I got to and from work with little trouble, but I had assumed a great deal of personal risk.

So, what's your point?

There are other people who underwrite ships than British firms.

Who owns the ship?
They can underwrite or take their own risk.
It's a matter of risk management.

The underlying question is:

"How important is this transport mission to the Russians (politically) and whomever owns the ship and material on board?
Is there other material on board that is NOT helicopter parts and helicopters, and are those merchants weighing in on this ship's further operations on this delivery?"

Your response is noted, but insufficient to answer the question.

Got anything more useful to share?

ZeBedie
20th Jun 2012, 17:35
Stingers to Syria - is it not possible to make one that'll render its electronics unusable after a set period of time?

Tourist
20th Jun 2012, 19:23
It is certainly possible, Boeing did it with those chinooks!