PDA

View Full Version : The EU might impound non EU aircraft

notlangley
13th Jun 2012, 05:23
Watch your carbon emissions___link (http://www.theage.com.au/travel/travel-news/china-threatens-to-impound-european-planes-over-carbon-price-20120613-2094e.html)

If the airlines do not pay the fine, other theoretical EU counter-measures include impounding aircraft, IATA's Steele said.

Under the EU plan, Germany will determine whether Air China is in breach of ETS regulations or not;France will monitor China Southern Airlines; and the Netherlands will monitor China Eastern Airlines

ExXB
13th Jun 2012, 16:13
EU Climate Commissioner Connie Hedegaard is an idiot. Does she not see the what will happen?

i.e. EU pressures one member state (probably Denmark, nice but naive) to impound a Chinese aircraft.

Then;

Chinese airlines stop all flights to the EU, to not risk having their aircraft impounded. Indian airlines do the same.

EU airlines stop all flights to China and India - they don't want their aircraft seized there.

China and India ban overflights by EU airlines, causing delays, diversions and cancellations. EU countries retaliate and remove 1st freedom rights for Chinese and Indian airlines.

US, Canada, Russia decide to support their Chinese and Indian friends and ban overflights by EU carriers. 3rd/4th perhaps can continue but 1st rights are removed.

i.e. BA can still fly to the US, but not over Canada. AF can still fly to Mexico, but not over the US. Both can still fly to Singapore, but not over India, China or Russia.

Is it worth it? Well Connie hates aviation (although she always flies First Class) so she won't care.

The SSK
14th Jun 2012, 13:28
You forgot to mention:
Emirates, Qatar and The Airline That Thinks It's An Anagram, who are all fully compliant with EU ETS, step in and mop up all the traffic between Europe and India, China and all of the other countries that get caught up in the dispute.

ExXB
14th Jun 2012, 13:54
SSK, your absolutely correct for flights between the EU and the east. Going west EU consumers will have to decide between US/Canadian airline flights and longer flights on EU carriers.

IATA has said that most, if not all, EU airlines are in dire straights. A 'war' like this is going to put them closer (if not over) the brink.

Hopefully someone at the commission soon realise that their stubbornness is going to cost the EU dearly, both in monetary terms and jobs.

Lose some face and back off for a while, or keep face and lose your shirt.

Nervous SLF
14th Jun 2012, 21:25
ExXB you are assuming that a EU politician with power will use common sence ah well always a first I suppose.

radeng
15th Jun 2012, 08:13
Nervous SLF

Just don't hold your beath until happens!

Victor Inox
18th Jun 2012, 05:52
The SSK:

The Airline That Thinks It's An Anagram

Sorry, I am obviously a bit slow today: which one is that?

Dubaian
18th Jun 2012, 07:01
We can't tell you - but see the locked 'sticky' at the top of this forum.;)

Victor Inox
19th Jun 2012, 05:46
Dubaian:

Many thanks. I'd never contemplated that it could be an anagram, but I nearly died when it clicked :ok: