PDA

View Full Version : Migraine I think

Aware
12th Jun 2012, 19:20
Having never really suffered headaches before, I have in last two weeks have had two really bad headaches. Starting with shimmery vision in right eye cant focus, followed by crappy headache feeling sick and lasting a few hours. My head is tender and my sinuses are sore and fluidy feeling in ears ?

mad_jock
12th Jun 2012, 19:45
Go see your doctor ASAP.

Something has changed and the internet really isn't the place to be trying to work out what.

NWSRG
12th Jun 2012, 20:14
Aware,

These do sound like migraine symptoms...the one sided visual impairment is a fairly classic sign. The fact that you've had two so quickly after no previous history is worth considering...any dietary or lifestyle changes? Sudden stress?

However, I'm saying this as a sufferer, not a doctor. So definitely go and see the doc, just to rule out anything else.

If it is migraine, there are some good drugs available now, although they seem to rely on you picking up the early symptoms and getting the tablets in quick!

Aware
13th Jun 2012, 08:37
I went to Doc this morning. He thinks very bad sinus infection, fluid behind ears, flew all day Sunday low level GA and my head had got worse, really bad pain in ears. On now 500mg of amoxicillin. He has recommended a trip to the opticians which is now booked to rule out any eye problems. Had class one renewal about two weeks ago which checked eyes and no probs found.

mad_jock
13th Jun 2012, 09:13
If it happens again kick up hell until they give you a head scan.

You don't want it to be migraine with visual aberitions? if you hold a class 1.

Loose rivets
13th Jun 2012, 19:01
I've written a huge amount about classical migraine over the years. How much of it is still searchable, I'm not sure.

First and foremost. You said right eye. Do you know that for sure or it was in both eyes, but showing in the right visual field? This is vitally important when diagnosing the cause of aura.

It used to be migraine was a license-loser, but now one can I gather, fly multi-crew with some restriction on the recency of the malaise.

If only the right eye was affected, then a broader search must be made.

Did you see zig-zag patterns - sawtooth lights? (very often diminishing in 'amplitude' as they taper to one end. These are typical of the aura in late-onset migraine, and usually not so severe. There is a danger of blind areas coming and going anywhere in the visual field. These very often don't show themselves - just leaving that area blind. Quite typically, this area could obliterate a large car while driving.

Yes, have it thoroughly checked whatever the symptoms, only common sense.

Almost every sufferer I've questioned is convinced cheese and chocolate are triggers. I think, a trigger is a factor, but separate from the main cause which I'm convinced is deep underlying worry. Stress is fine. Worry is not.

It's a bastard of an illness, so often striking when people are at their lowest ebb, yet strangely, often following a day of high efficiency and boundless mental energy.

gingernut
13th Jun 2012, 20:01
Sounds like your GP has adopted a measured, pragmatic approach.

Go back if your symptoms don't settle within a week or two.

You shouldn't really be flying at the moment, from memory, I think GA can be 'specially problematic as the rate of pressure change is greater at lower altitude.