PDA

View Full Version : Olympics circuits

fulham fan
12th Jun 2012, 15:55
Atlas Control say they have had only a handful of airfields within the Olympics Restricted Zone register to be able to fly circuits and be exempt from the airspace restrictions. The closing date for applications is 1 July so if you are at an airfield inside R112 and haven't yet applied now is the time to do so. Detail and application form here Squawk a circuit application (http://olympics.airspacesafety.com/news/squawk-a-circuit-application)

HeliAl
13th Jun 2012, 15:38
Be aware that Southend are looking to charge £200 per VFR slot over the Olympic period. Posted on their web site today. Good way to drive the GA traffic away.

JulesRom
15th Jun 2012, 11:38
Surely not - isn't this just a deposit preventing some of the larger industry players block booking slots thus causing unnecessary slot congestion?
My understanding this is refundable when the slot is used...

enq
15th Jun 2012, 12:29
Hmm,

The Southend policy notes that refund of the £200 deposit is discretionary if the booked slot goes unused due to weather but is guaranteed (less the normal landing charge) if the slot is kept & the landing made.

Had deposits been proportional to the landing & handling charges the policy might have some merit but this seems to be a £170(ish) incentive for small GA aircraft to make the slot once booked.

At the moment I am happy to cancel when weather is outside my comfort zone (which has not been an unusual occurrence at Southend lately) so personally would prefer not to have added pre flight pressures like this.

:sad:

betterfromabove
15th Jun 2012, 14:35
Brings up a random question I had about CX within R112....

Would you be able to conduct CX as a non-transponding a/c if in circuit with your transponding "formation buddy"?

The above is premised on fact that while transponding a/c are effectively grounded within R112 for the duration, a clause has been included to state that flights into/out of the zone are possible if "in formation" with a transponding a/c, with all stated as such on the FPL.

Would require to be one of the notified CV airfields etc etc.

Not sure I'd want to try the above scenario without some seriously rock-solid official assurances, but wondering if anyone had posed the question??

Is it only in/out, effectively ferry, flights that this clause is trying to cover? Or is there some potential dispensation for CX, i.e. what constitutes "in formation" as far as CX is concerned....?