PDA

View Full Version : alcohol history

ericlarouge
11th Jun 2012, 13:39
Alcohol,and class 1/2 med,would a long ago past history of abuse,be a no/no for life or would along period of abstinence, be acceptable?if the CAA.were unaware, would it (GP happy) be folly to keep quite ,i fear confession may jeopodize my self cert; these problem were more than a decade past and resulted in hospital however medical records are missing and CAA not informed as not actively using a license,
liver function ecg all normal

ericlarouge
12th Jun 2012, 08:20
i had hoped this may have prompted a reply, as i believe alcohol my still be a significant problem amounst some aviators ,mine exasibate by sleep deprivation,and attemts to control this with alcohol,whilst working for a major charter airline,with poor roster patterns,longday,bus trips to base 24hrs for 2 sleep patterns followed by long nights ,and so on,some of this post prompted by by reading about ,crew members with double doubles ,;taxing in;i recall a ,major airline now part of the" Houndslow" flying club(BA) where landing drinks were standard,
i am happy to approach this subbject as i do not drink,hopefully for ever,but read lots of wannabee post about 10 pint men woried about medicals, we can reach a stage of concern over Alcohol,where by seeking help may result in loss of license,and job;
Probably causing further problems!!and the option of continuing to drink will have the same out come but futher down the line,i had three friends all professional pilot ,all sadly dead, as a result of alcohol!!! o sorry that 4 friends

gingernut
13th Jun 2012, 20:16
I think there's two parts to your original question.

Firstly, is ten year's abstinence good enough for the medical authorities. I guess it would depend on the initial problem. Oesophageal varicies may raise an eyebrow, an admission for PUFO may result in less concern. Can you be more specific? Not an expert, but would have thought 10 yrs without a drink would be considered "cured."

Secondly, should you try and diddle the system? You may be in more need of ethical rather than medical advice.

mad_jock
13th Jun 2012, 21:07
The fact if you are up front with them proberly says more than anything.

If you try and hide it alarm bells will be ringing.

Give them a phone they are quite nice and helpful on the medical side. You won't be the first or the last pilot with booze problems.

ericlarouge
14th Jun 2012, 15:10
Fortunately. or not! depending how you look at it, ethical help is not required
i am basically a strait up guy and dishonesty would probably drive me to drink ,more of of a open or rhetorical question, esophagus fine and inspected by endoscope/thank you for your replies

thuylinhbp
19th Jun 2012, 08:04
Drink too much will effect your health.
My relative drink a lots so he died soon. So i hope everyone in the world don't drink or smoke too much, remember health is gold