PDA

View Full Version : SpiceJet to Dubai but no Flydubai to India??

Voodoo 3
11th Jun 2012, 09:20
Afternoon,

Just reading the local paper and noticed that Indian low cost outfit Spicejet are opening two routes to Dubai, one from Mumbai and one from Delhi beginning later this month.

Flydubai has largely struggled to get into the Indian market, indeed its opening three routes were supposed to be in India before it fell through. We now have only three destinations in over three years of operations.

My question is, how can SpiceJet obtain two routes, one from the capital and the other from the biggest city in India to Dubai with no current slots available for the other way? Maybe of course FD has shifted it's focus away from India but if it was such a go in the beginning surely they are still looking more ways in? Is it because more hands have been greased or does it go much higher in the food chain that mere mortals who operate the line have no need to know.

I am not suggesting that just because SpiceJet have two routes to Dubai that FD or indeed any UAE carrier should then automatically get routes to India but it does seem much easier for carriers to get permission to fly India to UAE than the other way round. I know that India are extremely protective of their carriers and possible loss of revenue as other threads have alluded to but surely there's nothing wrong with a healthy spot of competition?

I would have thought, two for them might equal at least one for us?!, even if it is to other destination(s).

Curious mind seeking clarity! V3

a747jb
11th Jun 2012, 11:42
From my understanding, the Indian government considers FD as part of EK. Since EK have a seat restriction into India, there is no chance for FD to get more routes unless the seat restriction is raised. This happens from time to time, but rest assured that EK will be the one adding flights should this happen, not FD. Please note that this only my understanding of things and it very well may be different. In fact, I could be totally wrong, but I am pretty sure this is accurate. Maybe someone else with more in depth knowledge of this issue may know better. All being said, this maybe the best thing that happened to FD, as they have pursued routes with little or no competition. Having flown with them to some of these places, i can tell you that there seems to be no low cost in any of their pricing into these markets, lol. If they aren't making a small fortune heading up to Turkmenistan, I don't know how. Nearly 2000 dhs each way!!! You won't get that kind of yield from TRV, BLR, or MAA, I promise you that!

Ex NAV
11th Jun 2012, 11:44
It is about the bilateral deal ( total UAE against India).
EK has 25+ daily flights out of India, almost the Indian national Airline. Then add EY, Air Arabia etc and there is not much left other than 2nd tier destinations. That is why plus EK protecting their Market Share

GE90-115B
11th Jun 2012, 14:55
Indian and DXB based airlines are entitled to about 29,100 seats in each direction. That includes fixed no. of seats to DEL,BOM,MAA,CCU,COK,HYD,TRV,BLR AND AAH.

Any operations to destinations not mentioned above can be mutually agreed by both the parties.

EK, with its all wide body fleet, already has maxed out on its allotted share to these destinations where as Indian carriers operating narrow body fleet have had an additional flexibility.

FD still has the option of applying NOCs to fly to tier 2 cities.

Also to note: the largest aircraft authorized to operate in these routes is: B747.

So no A380.

Voodoo 3
12th Jun 2012, 05:37
A lot of that I did not know. Thanks!:ok:

VijayMallya
16th Jun 2012, 15:09
About time spice went "international"

Indigo already is selling tickets for a second Delhi Dubai and HYD & COK to Dubai.

Schnowzer
16th Jun 2012, 15:59
Fly Dubai wasn't created to compete with EK but to drag business in from the ".......stans" onto the EK network:ok:

Iver
17th Jun 2012, 13:57
India, a country with so much intellectual firepower and potential, is corrupt and highly mismanaged. Simple as that.

stealthpilot
4th Jul 2012, 11:14
Here's an informative link posted on another website- it gives a lot of information on the India-DXB bilaterals. (I'm not sure about India-UAE....)

India - DXB Bilateral Capacity — Civil Aviation Forum | Airliners.net (http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/general_aviation/read.main/5502191/)
Dubai carriers offer 54,000 seats a week.
Indian carriers offer 34,363 seats a week.

It should answer most of your questions. The post offers an in-depth break up of cities, airlines and aircraft types.

Credit goes to the original poster, all information is from the airliners post.