PDA

View Full Version : Australian ATC Interview

Boeing Hunter
1st Apr 2002, 04:41
Hello everyone,

I have recently passed the Australian ATC aptitude tests. They contained tests that I assume are used by NATS, the FAA and Eurocontrol (judging by the title before each test!).

So, next stage is an interview in a couple of weeks. Any of you guys know of what to expect at the interview?

I have done a search, however, most information seems to be for NATS. Thought someone may have some up to date info.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

:)

andy5970
1st Apr 2002, 11:42
Hi Boeing Hunter,

I see your in Brisbane too.

I have also passed the ATC selection tests and now waiting eagerly to hear when my interview is. What day did you go in for testing. I believe they were testing in Bris for 8 days in all, about 25 per day for testing and about 4 or 5 max per day passing, sometimes less. I heard some ex-RAAF ATC guys failed as well as some ex ASA ATC guys.

If you do a search here in this forum youll find some other posts regarding the interviews in Australia.
Basically from talking to an associate who works for ASA here in Bris, the only clues Ive gotten are to relax, be honest and be yourself.

Let me know when your interview is.

Do you ever go out to the spotters area at YBBN ?

Andy

Four Seven Eleven
1st Apr 2002, 22:36
Boeing Hunter and Andy

The word you have gotten so far is pretty much spot on. Relax and be yourself.

The interviews are generally conducted by a panel of three people: one ATC, one HR and one other. The questions are NOT about your aviation or ATC knowledge but may include questions about Airservices. (e.g. structure, who is the CEO etc.) Have a look at the website (www.airservices.gov.au) and absorb as much general stuff as you can.

You get lots of 'points' for having visited a centre or a tower (or both) before the interview.

Remember that the interviews are 3 on one. They are looking for consistency in your answers. If you don't know the answer to a question the best answer is 'I don't know'. They WILL catch you out if you try to BS them.

Prepare for the 'obvious' questions like: what are your strengths and weaknesses? What are other peoples' perception of you? etc.

The will try to gauge how you will 'fit in'. Questions about shiftwork, work ethic, attitude to sick leave, working in teams etc.

A couple of tips in case you get offered a job/course.

Do NOT resign from your current job until you absolutely have to. It would not be the first time that courses have been deferred. More importantly, do NOT accept anything other than a formal letter of offer as a reason to believe you have been successful.

When you start the course, be prepared to devote about 18 months to some serious hard work. Don't have a second job (I have seen it done - never successfully!) or any other commitments that will distract you. The rewards are worth it in the end if that is what you want to do. (None of this precludes some serious partying during the 18 months! Just use your head.)

Lots of Luck. Let us know how you went!

Boeing Hunter
2nd Apr 2002, 01:14
Andy,

Yes I too have heard that only 3-5 people per session had made it through, although one day they only had one person make it.

The lady at testing said the interviews would be around the 15, 16, 17 of April, and asked if that was okay. I think ASA puts a lot of emphasis on the personality test. I wonder whether they only invite applicants who meet their profile for an interview?

I figure there are around 40 or so applicants left, minus any year 12 students (you have to be 21 to get an ATC licence remember), plus some successful test applicants from the past.

I think the advice to be yourself and read up about ASA is best. I was surprised at the cross section of applicants sitting the testing. I wonder whether they like people with previous aviation experience over those who have none?

Anyway, I guess only time will tell.

Bye for now.

Boeing Hunter.

Four Seven Eleven
2nd Apr 2002, 03:50
BH

There were 40 something year old women there (no offense). Surely ASA would be looking for people who have a capacity to absorb the training.

In light of the above, perhaps you should reconsider the advice to "be yourself." In your case, it may be a disadvantage.:rolleyes:

I wonder whether they only invite applicants who meet their profile for an interview?

Yep! They even want people who are capable of working in a team with "40 something year old women."

Boeing Hunter
3rd Apr 2002, 02:46
4-7-11,

Whoops, probably was a stupid thing to say. I just meant that ASA would probably have a better chance of success in training someone who is half the age, and get more operational time from them before retirement.

They did, however, take quite some time to learn how to use the simulator test we sat. Doesn't mean they wouldn't be good controllers, I know, just an observation I made.

Sorry if I touched a nerve.

BH.

Four Seven Eleven
3rd Apr 2002, 02:54
BH

No worries, no offence taken. (And before you ask, no I'm neither 40ish or female)

On the subject, however, the interview may touch on areas like Equity and Diversity etc. so be prepared to toe the PC line.

Good Luck

Boeing Hunter
3rd Apr 2002, 03:07
4-7-11,

Thanks mate, and thank you for your advice.

I'll let you know how I go.

BH

andy5970
3rd Apr 2002, 15:31
Thanks for all the replies. Some helpful info amoungst them.

Just got off a late shift with my current employer.

Checked my email and I now have a date set for my interview.

Monday 15th April.

Ill let you know how it goes and of course when I get word of my results I'll let you all know as well.

With regards to previous Aviation experience being helpful or not, of course I dont know, but I do know of two pilots (one PPL and one ATPL with a few thousand hours) who made it to interview stage in the last round of selection interviews and unfortunately did not get a position. So........ who knows, except the selection board. :-)

Andy.

Aussiechick
4th Apr 2002, 12:57
Hi all,

I went through the testing and interviews last year and was lucky enough to get accepted into a course. Just for info, the experience of people in my course is varied. 6 of us are commercial pilots, 3 ex RAAF ATC's, and the rest (8) are fully abinitio with regard to aviation.

Age profile is from approx 24 to 46 y/o.

As mentioned by four seven eleven, don't assume you are in until you have it in writing. A number of people on my course have been put on previous courses and then had the course cancelled before they started.

Good luck with the interviews.

Aussiechick.

Lanceair
6th Apr 2002, 10:57
Hi AussieChick,
You say you were "lucky enough", I wouldnt have thought luck would have much to do with it. You obviously met the criteria and were of the character profile that ASA were looking for.

You also said "last year", I thought that last years applicants where being tested and interviewed this year and that the previous intake/interview round was actually in Sept of 2000?

Boeing Hunter, did you get an interview time/date yet ?
Just curious, as I know some people who are/were trying again this year after having previously gotten to interview stage but werent succesfull. I understand you only ever get 2 chances at applying for a postion with ASA as ATC, if you bomb out twice, thats it for life.

Does anyone know, if you passed the PC based testing, but didnt meet the "profile" as revealed in the physc test done as the last thing, you wont get invited in for an interview?
I also seem to recall reading somewhere, people are invited for interview based on the testing order of merit. ie: if you just scraped through the testing and theres 50 people who passed with better results than you, youll be the 50th to be asked for interview? Im asking on behalf of a mate who doesnt have regular internet access.

Lanceair.
A wonderful little pocket rocket.

Boeing Hunter
7th Apr 2002, 00:17
Hi again everyone,

Andy,
I also have my interview on the Monday. I was actually quite surprised about the speed of the whole process. You'll have to write in and let us know the type of questions they asked, so we can compare.

Lanceair,
Yes two attempts at testing and that is it, fair enough I suppose if you can't get it in two attempts then you are really relying on luck after that, rather than skill.

The lady I spoke to said we would know if we are successful around late April but more than likely early May. I'm not sure about people fitting the psych profile getting an interview, or the order of merit, although it does say on the web site you have to be up there with the highest marks for an interview.

The applicants who have already had an interview, yes I have heard they would be offered another chance. However, I assume that ASA will first interview the successful test applicants from this session, rather than giving people who have already been interviewed another chance straight away. Then offer them a position. The old applicants have been interview, and failed, so if I were interviewing new applicants I would be seeing them first, rather than people I know have already had the opportunity. They must be there incase they need more to interview?

Well, good luck to all those who applied, maybe we will see each other in July down at the college.

BH.

No Further Requirements
18th Apr 2002, 21:38
Hi Andy and Boeing Hunter. So how did it all go? Thought you may have forgotten to post so I am bringing it back up to the top. Most interested to hear how it all went. Cheers,

NFR.

Pushin_Tin
18th Apr 2002, 22:21
....so how did the interviews go on the 15th. guys??

....when you get the letter, the next thing to consider is the "Stream" that you prefer to train in. The 3 streams are Enroute, Tower and Approach.....

Enroute is probably the most transportable rating to have if you want to try your hand overseas in the future (Eurocontrol and the likes). The job loacations choices in Oz are limited to Brisbane or Melbourne though . Tower stream is fun. Room with a view! More locations to choose from. Approach (my job) is just a hoot.....

Keep me posted

andy5970
17th May 2002, 13:10
Thanks to those who replied with tips etc for the interview.

I recieved a letter in the post today.

Dear **********

I refer the recent selection interview which you attended......(insert standard blurb about very high standards and very competitive etc etc).....Unfortunately you have been unsuccesful on this occassion.......

Yours sincerely

Im positive and happy, despite the not so great news. I certainly intend to use this as a learning experience. Phone numbers were provided for me to call for feedback and to discuss my interview and application with some of the interview panel members. And I can reapply, but not for at least 12 months, so I intend to learn from this and be better prepared next time round.

Congratualtions to those who were succesfull. I know of someone who was, well done mate. :-)

Andy5970

No Further Requirements
19th May 2002, 23:54
Andy. Firstly, bad luck on not getting the desired outcome - good on you for thinking about having another go. Just remember that you can only sit the tests twice. Maybe give it a break for 2 years (if they will be recruiting then!!) and go back with a fresh mind. Personally, I would not like to sit the tests again.

Just a quick question. What stream were you applying for? Just interested as I have some mates in the same position (passed testing and had interview) who haven't heard anything back yet. They are getting a bit nervous as AsA said they would get back to them in mid-May. Anyway, best of luck for the future (ATC or not). Remember, Canada (and sometimes NZ) have ab-initio ATC training too if you are looking for something a bit different. Check the NavCanada or Airways Corporation websites for details. Cheers,

NFR.

divingduck
20th May 2002, 20:20
Andy,

bad luck on the ATC recruitment, have you given any thought to applying for the RAAF as a controller?

I know many of the guys that crossed over to civvies and they all loved their time under the green umbrella.

The RAAF also cross train all their staff, starting in the Tower before moving into APP and Area, you also get the opportunity to go to some exotic places to work, not just inside Oz.

Well worth the thought.

All the best with whatever you decide.