PDA

View Full Version : Best Pilot Apps for GA Pilots?

what next
11th Jun 2012, 10:18
Hello!

Regarding the "old guys" and new technology: I regularly fly with two pilots who are over 70 years old (both instructors and TRI/TRE on various types) and who both happily dumped all their paper stuff in favor of iPads. We live in the year 2012 and should consider ourselves very lucky about that instead of stubbornly sticking to 1930s technology!

Regarding the apps: I tried out several aviation specific ones, but mostly I use non-aviation apps:
WeatherPro for met. It does not replace the printed aviation weather that we are still required to carry on board when flying commercially, but has excellent forecasts and is very useful for daily life. And quite cheap.
MotionX as backup for navigation and for finding my way back to the hotel. Incredible value for money (almost free!) and excellent and highly detailed (free!) maps.
Times Calc, a little (free) app that lets you calculate sums of time values. Very useful when you are tired after a long day of flying and have to fill out the logbooks!

Happy landings,
max

NB: Sometime this year (the approval is almost there I'm told) we will switch from our printed version of Jeppesen to the iPad version. This will be one of my happiest days in 20 years - never again having to do a Jeppesen revision by hand. Never, never, never again. I'm so happy!