PDA

View Full Version : Non JAR National ratings Aeros/Mountain/Towing

markkal
9th Jun 2012, 10:10
Hi Friends,

FCL Regulation 216/2008 and subsequent ministerial decree (EEC) L311 is now in force and certain subparts of it are subject to time frames (opt.out) which are varying from country to country for implementation. To my knowledge Switzerland is already fully compliant and would be interested to know which other countries are to follow.

Then as far as national (non Jar) ratings such as aerobatics/mountain and towing these where regulated in some countries like italy and france requiring a rating both to get the rating and to instruct.

Under EASA all countries will need to conform.

Will these national ratings be converted automatically for those holding them, including the instructor ones in the forthcoming EASA licences?

Under EASA it seems that these will fall under CRI category.
For instructing the situation is not so clear,

Taking for example Aerobatics, FCL 905 states that the applicant holding the rating shall demonstrate his ability to a "Qualified" Instructor under FCL.905 FI (i) (????)

FCL 905 FI (i) has nothing to do with aerobatics but refers to Multi engine.

Then what is meant by qualified instructor ??? An instructor who has the rating ??? Where can one find the definition so as to avoid confusion and interpretations..

I am currently in Italy and here a "qualified instructor" is an instructor who holds 500 hours instructing, and gets the title after a check with an examiner.. But then he may know nothing about Aerobatics, towing or mountain flying.

Any suggestions or comments to clarify this???

ifitaintboeing
9th Jun 2012, 22:56
Will these national ratings be converted automatically for those holding them, including the instructor ones in the forthcoming EASA licences?

Each country is compiling a conversion report to ensure 'grandfather' priviliges where possible. Conversion tables are also in Annex II to EASA Aircrew Regulation (not the Annex II for non-EASA aircraft!).

Taking for example Aerobatics, FCL 905 states that the applicant holding the rating shall demonstrate his ability to a "Qualified" Instructor under FCL.905 FI (i)

This is a FIC Instructor (in UK terminology) - a Flight Instructor with privileges to instruct the Flight Instructor Course. In order to conduct the check as stipulated, they must hold the rating and also the privilege to instruct for that rating.

ifitaint...

markkal
10th Jun 2012, 10:26
Thanks Ifitaint for info !!

Have been looking for aircrew "annex II" cannot find it in decree.

As for "certified instructor" would be interesting to find EASA definition and requirements for the position.

Anyone knows something about this, let me know

ifitaintboeing
11th Jun 2012, 11:29
EASA Aircrew Regulation Annex II on pages 163 et seq.

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2011:311:0001:0193:EN:PDF

This also contains the other information you have requested.

FCL.905 FI privileges state:

FCL.905.FI FI — Privileges and conditions
The privileges of an FI are to conduct flight instruction for the issue, revalidation or renewal of:

(f) a towing or aerobatic rating, provided that such privileges are held and the FI has demonstrated the ability to instruct for that rating to an FI qualified in accordance with (i) below;

.....l

(i) an FI, IRI, CRI, STI or MI certificate provided that the FI has:

(1) completed at least:

(i) in the case of an FI(S), at least 50 hours or 150 launches of flight instruction on sailplanes;

(ii) in the case of an FI(B), at least 50 hours or 50 take-offs of flight instruction on balloons;

(iii) in all other cases, 500 hours of flight instruction in the appropriate aircraft category;

(2) passed an assessment of competence in accordance with FCL.935 in the appropriate aircraft category to demon* strate to a Flight Instructor Examiner (FIE) the ability to instruct for the FI certificate;

So, in order to instruct for the towing or aerobatic rating one must demonstrate proficiency to a FIC Instructor (as described at paragraph (i)).

To become a FIC Instructor, the assessment of competence described at FCL.935 is a FI test in the role of an instructor-instructor.

HTH

markkal
11th Jun 2012, 12:17
Thanks Infitaint,

What about (i): 500 hours instructing in the appropriate "Aircraft category" ???

This can be misinterpreted..What is an "aircraft category" ?? In this case SEP with Tailwheel extension ???.. So anyone with 500 hrs instructing in a piper cub
can teach aerobatics in an Extra 300 ???? Or it must be an Aerobatic aircraft ??

Would be interesting to find the EASA definition for aircraft category.

And for FIC even an FI without the 500 hours who complies with Fcl.935 and passes the relevant test can be qualified??

BillieBob
11th Jun 2012, 13:21
FCL.010 Definitions

‘Category of aircraft’ means a categorisation of aircraft according to specified basic characteristics, for example aeroplane, powered-lift, helicopter, airship, sailplane, free balloon.

markkal
11th Jun 2012, 13:43
Thanks , that is what I thought, so in this case anyone with 500 hours instruction on SEP and tailwheel extension done in a piper cub, can teach aeros and mountain flying with even minimal experience if he or she can demonstrate "proficiency" to an FIE, let's hope the FIE is qualified and holds the relevant ratings in addition to SEP and Tailwheel ...Surprising !!!