PDA

View Full Version : Aural requirements EU OPS 1178/2011

Screwballs
8th Jun 2012, 19:50
Hi AMEs,

Question on behalf of a friend. What are the exact legal requirements for the otorhino-laryngology phase of the cabin crew medical exam? I have looked in Subpart C, Section 2, MED.C.025 of the document EU regulations 1178/2011 and there doesn't seem to be an exact requirement. The CAAs information and airlines I have queried only state an "adequate hearing" level is required.

Other posters on the cabin crew forums state, anecdotally, that basic conversation will pick up any problem with cabin crew. Is this good enough?

Many thanks for response and any references!

Screwballs.

mad_jock
8th Jun 2012, 21:07
I believe a training captain on an intercom says "cup of tea love, milk no sugar" and if it turns up they pass the test.

Joking aside even flight crew even if the quacks say no can do a practical hearing test with a training Captain and if he signs the sheet thats you passed. Quite amusing as the two most deaf pilots in the company head off out to an aircraft to sign each other off.

Screwballs
11th Jun 2012, 08:08
I gather that it's this way for pilots so I figure it can't be too dissimilar for the cabin. But is it really that vague?

mad_jock
11th Jun 2012, 09:20
It normally goes that the quacks have a shot first if you send them there.

After that its a practical test by a person who is defined in your OPS manual who then submits some paper work to the medics in the NAA.

In some ways I can see why CC may have issues where as Pilots don't because the Pilots can control the volumes getting put into there headsets.

The only thing you can do is ask your NAA medical branch. Don't ask the flight safety etc because they won't have a clue.