PDA

View Full Version : Have any of you flown a PC-12?

Lonewolf_50
8th Jun 2012, 12:36
There is a recent mishap reported, a familiy of 6 flying from Florida to Kansas, wherein a PC-12 went down in a swamp.

Kansas family of 6 dead after plane crashes in Florida swamp - U.S. News (http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/06/07/12107828-kansas-family-of-6-dead-after-plane-crashes-in-florida-swamp?lite)

What struck me is that the early comments from "officials" indicate that the plane was coming apart before it hit the ground. Sadly, no survivors. :{

Officials said the plane began to break apart over southeast Polk County and crashed. The crash area is in a remote area and the Polk County Sheriff's Office used helicopters to fly in law enforcement and medical personnel. Parts of the aircraft were found as far as two miles away from the crash site. Officials say that the parts separated before the crash and that the plane was traveling at 26,000 feet when it began experiencing trouble.

While it is early yet, I am puzzled at what would lead to a break up. I note that the service ceiling is 30,000 feet, and that it is a turboprop, so I presume that this is a pressurized cabin -- has to be for that sort of service. (Sick feeling here remembering the Payne Stewart crash, and a few others ...)

The other question arising, not understanding the weather in the area at the time, is how effective anti icing equipment is on that aircraft.

For those of you who have flown the PC-12, do you have any insights?

007helicopter
9th Jun 2012, 06:44
Quote below Taken from a quote on COPA where there is quite a lot of discussion about this unusual & very tragic accident.

I wouldn't completely discount structural icing on the climb from 17,000 feet to FL250. But the area was rather weak. Light icing report northeast of the accident site at FL230.

MLB UA /OV ORL160030/TM 1630/FL230/TP SW34/IC LGT RIME/RM CWSU ZMA
Probably too far away given that most of the moisture was south or Orlando.

peterh337
9th Jun 2012, 06:48
Icing forecasts are mostly meaningless.

If you fly through frontal wx, you will get a fair bit of ice, usually, if the temps are "right".

I don't know anything about this crash, obviously, but you can break any plane if you go way past Vne and then fly into some serious turbulence.

Pace
9th Jun 2012, 07:08
Very sad and tragic that a whole family of six perished in this crash!
I doubt it was an icing event that caused this to happen although it may have contributed.

More likely loss of control and overspeed resulting in overstressing the airframe.

The aircraft would have been on autopilot so sounds like that would have disconnected for some reason (severe turbulence???) storm penetration?
Storm penetration could have caused a rapid ice build up.

The PC12 is a solid modern well built aircraft with sound systems but as Peter states any aircraft will break up given enough overstressing.

I doubt at those levels it was anything to do with depressurisation!

But a very sad situation for a whole family to be wiped out!

Pace

007helicopter
9th Jun 2012, 07:31
Agree very horrific, it is reported the Pilot bought the Plane in May and finished SimCom training around the 17th of May and likely one of his first trips with his family

For such a strong plane to break maybe it was loss of control.

Irionically the Pilatus owners have there convention in Sarasota Florida this weekend.

The following updated news report brings it home on the personal tragedy and quite upsetting Body of 6th family member killed in plane crash recovered (http://cfnews13.com/content/news/cfnews13/news/article.html/content/news/articles/bn9/2012/6/8/ntsb_begins_their_in.html)

DX Wombat
9th Jun 2012, 09:56
You may find it useful to ask a question on Dunnunda and Godzone as the RFDS has been using PC12s for at least the past nine years.