PDA

View Full Version : Meteorite over Iran ?

MAXMEDLO
8th Jun 2012, 10:21
Flying west bound over Iran on the 7th at around 1800Z we observe a strange light coming from the north at a very high altitude, it was visible all the way during its decend, eventually mushrooming into a sort of a cloud that was oddly visible at very low altitude in an other wise pitch black sky.

Just wondering if any body else saw it, and if so, does any one have an idea what it might have been?

Cheers and safe flying.

Tableview
8th Jun 2012, 10:35
Flying west bound over Iran on the 8th at around 1800Z

You must be a clairvoyant. Maybe the Israelis are going to lob a bomb on Iran at 1800Z tonight.

Buford
8th Jun 2012, 10:52
Think you mean on the 7th?

We were over eastern Turkey and saw some bizarre stuff at 1745Z. We saw some odd clouds near the ground off to the east with a strange persistent smoke trail/contrail looking thing above it. It was dark and the smoke was almost luminous. We then saw a fantastic conical smoke cloud with a spinning object below it surrounded by a smoke ring. In 17 years of professional flying I've never seen anything like it. Got a great picture of it as well. The conical ring was far above us (we were at FL370) so whatever it was was at very high altitude.

FO and I surmised we had witnessed something military- SAM launch? Missile launch and/or intercept? No idea, but it was spectacular. We looked at our charts and our best guess was that the stuff we saw was over the eastern Black Sea or near the Russian/Georgian border. Got home last night and spent some time with google. Noticed the USS Monterey anti-missile ship is in the Black Sea doing some sort of exercises with the Ukrainian military- perhaps this was what we saw?

motojet
8th Jun 2012, 11:17
Perhaps it was this;

KUNA : Russia test-fires new Topol-M missile - Military and Security - 08/06/2012 (http://www.kuna.net.kw/ArticleDetails.aspx?id=2245947&language=en)

Superfreak
8th Jun 2012, 11:34
Last night at 1750z an EK flight reported seeing a strange bright perfectly circular shaped cloud between Sharjah and Fujairah. The sky was clear at the time and no other cloud present at all. 60 seconds later a Fly Dubai aircraft and another German carrier reported a strange sighting near Doha and Abu Dhabi. All 3 sightings were broadcast on 121.5 within 2-3 minutes of each other. The tower in Dubai was informed of the sighting after the EK flight landed with a description of what was seen. Very weird indeed if guys are reporting seeing it over Turkey at 1745 then 5 minutes later over Dubai,Abu Dhabi and Doha!

MAXMEDLO
8th Jun 2012, 11:40
Oops, did I say the 8th, it was the 7th, my bad, thats what to expect after crossing so many time zones in so many days, apologies gentlemen.

MAXMEDLO
8th Jun 2012, 11:42
Buford, would you care to share your picture? Thanks

Superfreak
8th Jun 2012, 12:37
http://lunarmeteoritehunters.********.com/2012/06/mbiq-detects-lebanon-turkey-cyprus.html

Eau de Boeing
8th Jun 2012, 15:48
We saw it at Raski along with another EK aircraft 100 miles in front and several others. Was very strange but nice to know we weren't the only ones and thinking we were hallucinating through too much caffeine......

We were at FL400 and the cloud was a perfect sphere extending well above us.

flying lid
8th Jun 2012, 15:58
Missile or UFO? Thousands of people in Jordan and Israel witness spinning 'Catherine Wheel' in the sky | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2156388/Missile-UFO-Thousands-people-Jordan-Israel-witness-spinning-Catherine-Wheel-sky.html)

Photos, video and possible explanations.

Lid

airpilot330
8th Jun 2012, 18:25
Hi guys,
I was over Pakistan near position shano. I saw the huge light lasting a few seconds followed by an explosion. It wasn't a fire explosion, it was a florescence explosion that produced a huge sphere that got bigger&bigger. It also produced a cylindrical shape cloud that had a hole in the middle. It was travelling horizontally towards us.
I took a video and some pics of the cloud but it's not very clear.
I've never seen anything like this in my 19yr flying!!!
Could it be a nuclear blast in sky?! I hope not coz the radiation from such a blast would have catastrophic effect on us who were so close to it.

jmphxa320
9th Jun 2012, 03:07
A test missile was launched from Russia. All is well as it was just a test. Reported in the USA national news.

Guy D'ageradar
9th Jun 2012, 06:50
Reported in the USA national news

Ah, right. We'll take that as gospel then! :hmm:

pilotday
9th Jun 2012, 08:12
At least we have the Gulf News to give us "fair and balanced" news. I'm so thankful Dubai has the freedom of speech, freedom of the press and freedom of religion...or is it freedom FROM religion? i forget...