PDA

View Full Version : NDB/ADF fixed card intercept question

FlyingDumbells
7th Jun 2012, 19:58
Hey guys,

I was just trying to brush myself up on these, as haven't done them in a while.

luizmonteiro - Online Simulators - ADF Simulator (http://www.luizmonteiro.com/Learning_ADF_Sim.aspx) using that. I set myself up on 040 bearing TO the station and said alright I want to intercept the 260 bearing to the station. I feel a right turn is required here and if i turn onto say 060 i can intercept it but isn't that an 160 degree intercept then? I was taught to only do max 90 degrees so thought you couldn't do more than that.

Anyways what intercept is correct to use in this case?

cheers

Torque Tonight
7th Jun 2012, 22:08
Draw it out on paper: the beacon, the two bearings/radials and your position. The 040 and 260 bearings to are on opposite sides of the beacon and so you are not in a position to intercept one from the other. A 160 degree cut is not an intercept heading - in fact it's a reasonable 20 degree cut to go the wrong way. Most realistically, procedurally, you would continue inbound on the 040 to the overhead then do a teardrop, outbound on about 065 for several minutes or miles then right turn onto about 230 for a 30 degree cut onto the 260 inbound. Otherwise radar vectors could put you in the right position to intercept.

FlyingDumbells
7th Jun 2012, 22:27
Thanks for your reply. When doing this I was giving myself the most drastic or exaggerated intercept I could think of to see if I was doing it correct. Glad to see now why I had to rethink it at first.:ok:

FlyingDumbells
7th Jun 2012, 22:30
So just to clarify as well. Is there a limit then in degrees where you cannot intercept another bearing or radial from your current position? And is the max intercept 90 degrees? And also when I did take up my heading of 60 degrees in my example I did cross the 260 bearing so it worked out I would have to say