PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft Engineer Apprenticeship UK

alezzc
7th Jun 2012, 16:06
Hello, I'm very interested in becoming an aircraft maintenence engineer but I'm unsure on where to start... I'm currently 19, live in Southend-On-Sea, I have a total of 10 C grade GCSE's (including Maths, English, Science), I also have 5 A-levels in which I did appauling in.
Whilst researching I found that taking an apprenticeship would be the best thing to do. In my area I have found these 2 courses (links to the courses are shown below), an Aircraft Maintence appreniceship Level 2 engineering and an Aircraft Maintence Advanced apprenticeship Level 3 engineering. After completing the level 2 students are able to continue onto the level 3 (can't start level 3 without having done level 2). Once level 3 has been completed students will recieve an NVQ Level 3 in Aeronautical Engineering, City & Guilds Certificate in Aeronautical Engineering at Level 3.
So at first this sounded great, I applied for the level 2 and heard back within 2 days. The woman I spoke wasn't very informative and seemed to avoid the majority of my questions! She seemed to think that it wasn't an appreniship, but when I asked her what the course included she was reading the exact information I was. I told her I'd call back soon, tried doing so today but obviously colleges are closed for the week (brilliant!).
I'm hoping whoever reads this will be able to help me, and will be more knowledgable then I am. Would these courses/apprenticeships be worth taking and at the end would I be qualified enough to get a career as a maintenence engineer. Also is the NVQ Level 3 in Aeronautical Engineering, City & Guilds Certificate in Aeronautical Engineering at Level 3 a fully acceptable qualification?
Level 2
Level 2 Aircraft Maintenance Apprenticeship (http://www.prospectscollege.com/job/level-sp-2-sp-aircraft-sp-maintenance-sp-apprenticeship)
Level 3
Level 3 Aircraft Maintenance Advanced Apprenticeship (http://www.prospectscollege.com/job/level-sp-3-sp-aircraft-sp-maintenance-sp-advanced-sp-apprenticeship)
Thank you for reading this, any information you would like to know just ask and please tell me everything you know! :) please excuse my ignorance ha. I just want to have a better understanding of how to get into this sort of career and avoid taking something which will not benefit me.

TURIN
8th Jun 2012, 11:13
Have you tried applying to the airlines?

BA are recruiting apprentices as are Monarch.

Virgin were but not sure if they still are.

Good luck. :ok:

C.Taylor
8th Jun 2012, 12:05
So far as I can see BA are not offering an apprenticeship this year, well its not listed on their website anyway!

As for Monarch, you have missed the boat there I'm afraid, I applied for that, and the closing date was the 5th of April I think.

You are too late for Virgin too, That closed in March.

In my experience you have to start looking about Feb-April to find the apprentice schemes with airlines. I applied for 4 this year, and they were all within this time frame, and have now all closed.

But keep looking, you never know what you might find!

spaceneedle1
8th Jun 2012, 20:31
Try ATC Lasham at Southend Airport

ericferret
10th Jun 2012, 21:35
Bristow helicopters have been advertising for apprentices recently.

Without wishing to condemn something I know little about the qualifications you mention bare little relation to the working qualifications for maintenance engineers. That is the A and B licenses.

Apprentices at the company I worked for were trained up to A licence standard and then moved on to the B.

Many of us were surprised that the company even bothered with the A and didn't just train them fully to B standard.

If you are looking at non licence qualifications then be sure they will be of some use in obtaining a licence.

Nothing could be worse than spending a lot of time and money only to be told the qualification carries little weight in the real world.
If you can get an apprenticeship with a major operator that would be the best way forward.

I suggest you read the ELGD (engineers licence guidance document) issued by the CAA. At the moment this is withdrawn for ammendment but you can still find it on Google.
Its heavy going but gives the criteria for obtaining a licence.

I think you will need to do a lot more research before committing yourself.

alezzc
11th Jun 2012, 19:33
Hello, first I'd like to thank each of you for taking the time to message me. Thanks :D!
Ok I checked Virgin and BA and had sadly had no luck. Virgin had no vacancies (as C.Taylor said) and BA's vacancy was at Heathrow sadly out of my travelling distance..
I contacted ATC Lasham (cheers spaceneedle!) and they surprisingly said, "All apprenticeship Applications are made to Prospects college initially for the level 2.
ATC will look to recruit apprentices from the college students that have successfully completed the level 2 course around May next year to move onto the level 3." So I will look further into this, first I just want to double check some info and as needed, do a lot more research.
Thanks Ericferret I'm just looking at ELGD now. I'll be sure to read all info listed on the page.

Thanks again all :)