PDA

View Full Version : CPL skills test

flyrunwayheading
7th Jun 2012, 09:11
Hey guys,

Im just back from a trip to Florida, with the intention of completing the JAA SE CPL course over there. Unfortunately I did not get to do the skills test because I had to return home for work reasons.

The Question is do I have to complete the Skills test in the UK or can i do it here in Ireland (where I live)? I understand the CAA and IAA have an agreement for ratings and exams etc but not sure about skills tests. I already hold a JAA CAA PPL and Medical.

Any Advice would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

VJW
7th Jun 2012, 11:47
I'm presuming it was a UK approved school in Florida that you were training at. I'm pretty confident (although I'm sure you will actually check with the IAA before making a decision, and not splash out loads of money because someone on prune said it was the case) that you can do it in Ireland. However, whether you do it in the UK or IRE you are not simply going to be able to turn up to a school and take a CPL skill test. Regardless of the school you go to, they are going to want to do training with you, so they are happy you will actually pass the test. In the UK at least, you'd need to pass the 170A flight, prior to being allowed to attempt the CPL skill test, I'm not sure if they have this in IRE.

Be advised though, if you sit the CPL skill test in IRE you will be applying to the IAA for an Irish JAA CPL, not the UK.

mad_jock
7th Jun 2012, 12:50
In the UK at least, you'd need to pass the 170A flight

There is no need to do a 170A flight test for a CPL test in the UK. It is though quite a common way of fleecing students for an extra 2.5 rental and some money for the school examinor. They only need to check you paper work then sign the form.

VJW
7th Jun 2012, 13:14
Ok this is true, but having completed all the training except the CPL skill test elsewhere, it is reasonable to assume the new school who will sign the Form 170A would choose to conduct this flight as part of the training they would likely do at the new school prior to releasing them to the CPL skill test is it not?

I did a 170A flight as part of my CPL course a good few years back, but that 2.5 hrs counted towards my 25 hour CPL course I believe, and wasn't in addition to it. At least I wasn't fleeced!! :D

mad_jock
7th Jun 2012, 13:19
He can get a 170A from his previous school if all he needs is the test. No need to get another school to pass him out. And to be honest he will need to recover all his CPL training records anyway.

But did you pay the examinor?

BigGrecian
7th Jun 2012, 15:53
It's not just about the skills test though.

You stated
ntention of completing the JAA SE CPL course
which I assume means you didn't finish the course.

As you are transferring from one member state to another member state you require both the UK CAA's and the IAA's authority to switch your training.

In my experience the UK CAA have never transferred the training to another member state and required you to start again on the professional licences / ratings (I.e CPL / IR)

flyrunwayheading
7th Jun 2012, 15:55
Thanks for the reply guys.

I did not get to do the 170A, and it was included in the 25hr course. No examiner fees were paid. So its not that bad because i figured i would need a few hours brush up with a new school anyway for local ops, procedures, airspace etc.

I wanted to get a CAA issued Licence so i guess my only option is to head over to the UK to complete? I had a look on the net and it seems all the schools in northern Ireland only train as far as PPL, which would have been handy for me :(

BigGrecian
8th Jun 2012, 02:39
You'll probably find it cheaper to return to your original school to be honest even with a flight to the US. You'll know the area, airspace etc and you only have to do 2 flights more at a different school to cover the cost of returning to the original school.
Unless you don't want to.

See whether they'll offer you a discount to return as well? They can only say no.

mad_jock
8th Jun 2012, 07:52
Grecian has it about right.

If you move schools at this stage if going to cause a heap of hassel.

StOrMsCaTcHeR
2nd Jun 2014, 16:22
How much maximum gap can you have after finishing the CPL course (25 hours) and the skills test? Does it have to be done within any specific time frame after completing the course?

fa2fi
2nd Jun 2014, 16:33
Find out exactly what paperwork you will require and make sure you are I possession of it before spending a penny. I was in a similar predicament and it was a nightmare getting the paperwork all sent over from the US as the new school or examiner may require your training records. On reflection if I was to do it again I would just go back to the same place later on in the year. I got sick of explaining the predicament to schools here and they made it clear they didn't want my business. But luckily I got it all sorted.

BillieBob
3rd Jun 2014, 13:17
There is no such thing as a Form 170A any more, either for the CPL or the IR. The requirement is that the candidate must be recommended for test by the ATO providing the training. If this has not been done by the US based ATO then the course is not complete and it will be necessary to obtain a recommendation from another ATO. This will be done in accordance with the organisations approved procedures and will probably involve sufficient flight time for the ATO to satisfy itself that the candidate is, indeed, ready for the test.