PDA

View Full Version : Blackbuck on the radio

chinook240
6th Jun 2012, 21:55
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01jhb3d

Tankertrashnav
6th Jun 2012, 22:04
Well listen if you want to hear what a bunch of BBC actors think about how RAF aircrew talk to each other on the intercom! Good for a laugh, I suppose.

Answer requested from ex Vulcan aircrew - was the captain referred to as such in flight? On Victors it was always "first " as in "radar to first". Mind you they got "decision - rotate right" and didnt fall into the V1 - V2 trap.

Pontius Navigator
7th Jun 2012, 08:09
On accents they got the captain of the u/s BB spot on; we could recognise him :)

I thought Scotty the engineer was straight out of Star Trek :) talk about stereotypes. Hearing "wing commander" all the time seemed strange but maybe the VSO couldn't remember his name :)

BEagle
7th Jun 2012, 12:22
What amateur rubbish that programme was.........:(

Gulfstreamaviator
7th Jun 2012, 15:39
from a historical/ histerical aspect I enjoyed it...but then I enjoy radio plays.
forget sterotyping, it was enjoyable.

glf

Pontius Navigator
8th Jun 2012, 07:21
GSA, like a radio play some years ago at a village fete where the woman in charge was fawning over the "Air Marshal". It seems false referring to air marshal and wing commander but in the radio medium it is a device to remind the listener as to who is who.

BEagle, to a point, with the height checks at 500 ft points and considering the length of time on the bombing run the chat over that 6 minutes of so was quite low.

I recall once our boss took a tape recorder airborne so we tyros could listen to the proper chatter on a simulated night/IFR low level. It was a washout, just a series of stacato words and phrases and long periods of noise.