PDA

View Full Version : JAA vs FAA licenses. America vs Europe

magicspeed
5th Jun 2012, 22:06
My initial plan was to undertake integrated training in Europe. However, I am not planning on paying so much money (120.000 Euro's) for licenses I wouldn't be able to use inside my Country as there are no jobs. As far as I know, there are no jobs in Europe at all. My other plan was to do it the modular way as it's much cheaper. But the problem is that I do not see a future in Europe when it comes to jobs. I am also not looking to spend money on my own type rating either.

From what I have read it's much more of a hassle to stay current with a JAA license than it is with a FAA license. Is this true? For some reason I have a feeling that Americans have it easier.

At the end of the day, I want to fly for any airline in the world and I am open to doing flight training anywhere in the world as I have lived in many places and can adapt easily.

What do you guys recommend me to do?

galaxy flyer
6th Jun 2012, 00:54
Much, much easier in the US FAA. Minimal writtens, one for each license level plus one for IR and CFI. All questions are on the web, no arcane problems, either. That said, very few good jobs here and zero opportunity for non-residents.

Consider a better career.

GF

magicspeed
6th Jun 2012, 01:05
What about getting FAA licenses and flying for non US airlines?

mad_jock
6th Jun 2012, 06:23
As far as I know, there are no jobs in Europe at all.

Wrong there are jobs, its just that they are not handed out on a plate.

If you have set your sights on not paying for a type rating that is going to make life even worse. And I am not happy about that either but unfortaunately its a fact of life these days.

a320renewal
6th Jun 2012, 07:11
plenty of job in europe if you fly in a LCC and willing to change.
no job for the one who send CV from home.
Airlines don't want pay anymore, and only look for flying pilots with lot of experience and willing to change air career.

there is no job for the poor guy like us, sending CV, unless you are willing to go to africa to fly a small cessna, at the end, the future look so bad and salary will be so low thanks to these lcc around , better to go with a FAA certif and save some money because you will never make money to sustain yourself.

I predict in 2-3 years, captains will make maximum 2000-3000 euro a month.the Copilots pay captains through line training program, or they can just sell line training to captain, like this they got 2 flight crews paying to work. As long pilots accept, don't expect situation to improve.:ugh: This profession is for most of us dead!

mad_jock
6th Jun 2012, 07:24
a320renewal.

Maybe it would be better to say that airlines don't hire a particular types of person.

Unfortunately there is no way of stopping those types of person paying to be trained and then moaning they can't get a job for ever more.

proudprivate
6th Jun 2012, 08:21
From what I have read it's much more of a hassle to stay current with a JAA license than it is with a FAA license. Is this true? For some reason I have a feeling that Americans have it easier.

True. Staying current under JAA is more of a hassle and more expensive than under FAA. But I would guess the job opportunities in Europe (painfully few at the moment, with some airlines going bust and others on the brink of, but they do exist) would be limited on an FAA ticket as most operators (though certainly not all of them) and almost all airlines work on a JAA registered planes requiring JAA papers.

My initial plan was to undertake integrated training in Europe. However, I am not planning on paying so much money (120.000 Euro's) for licenses I wouldn't be able to use inside my Country as there are no jobs.

Pure economically speaking, it doesn't make much sense to start flight training with the aim of becoming an airline pilot at this moment. The current starting salaries are just not commensurate with the training cost and the work schedule. In addition, an overregulation of the industry, especially in Europe, creates overhead costs that stifle job creation.

But economics do not drive everything, otherwise we wouldn't have any clergy, primary school headmasters, red cross volunteers, artists or student career pilots.

The FO (24, 2200 hrs TT) on Colgan Air 3407 was dead tired from a crazy commuter schedule and on a ludicrous salary when she crashed on approach to Buffalo in 2009, but she probably loved her job as a pilot.

A friend of mine (sub 1000 hrs) at the local flying club just landed a job at Thomas Cook and they paid for the type rating (A320 I think). He is based a 20 minute drive from where he lives and tells me the schedule is super. So that does happen too.

I guess it all comes down to asking yourself :

Why do I want to become a pilot ?

For the money, job security, the attractive work schedule, a job close to home ? Then please consider something else. You can also fly privately next to a non-aviation related career.

magicspeed
6th Jun 2012, 10:32
True. Staying current under JAA is more of a hassle and more expensive than under FAA. But I would guess the job opportunities in Europe (painfully few at the moment, with some airlines going bust and others on the brink of, but they do exist) would be limited on an FAA ticket as most operators (though certainly not all of them) and almost all airlines work on a JAA registered planes requiring JAA papers.

How do you see the job market in Europe right now as opposed to the USA, Caribbean, South America and Asia? You see, I would not mind flying a Cessna caravan in Alaska or in the Caribbean. Wouldn't it make more sense to go the cheap route and get FAA licenses?

Pure economically speaking, it doesn't make much sense to start flight training with the aim of becoming an airline pilot at this moment. The current starting salaries are just not commensurate with the training cost and the work schedule. In addition, an overregulation of the industry, especially in Europe, creates overhead costs that stifle job creation.

Pretty much agree with this. The safest thing one can do is go the air force/marines route or find a sponsorship scheme. If those fail, the only option in Europe is modular training. That's about 60-70k Euro's. It comes down to if you can afford it or not. I would at least save half of the money and take out a loan for the rest of it. I'm thankful I also don't have other costs such as a mortgage.

A friend of mine (sub 1000 hrs) at the local flying club just landed a job at Thomas Cook and they paid for the type rating (A320 I think). He is based a 20 minute drive from where he lives and tells me the schedule is super. So that does happen too.

Did he train integrated?

For the money, job security, the attractive work schedule, a job close to home ? Then please consider something else. You can also fly privately next to a non-aviation related career.

Another thing about USA vs Europe: General Aviation seems to be much more expensive and regulated in Europe.

B2N2
6th Jun 2012, 16:44
There are several ways of doing a combined FAA and JAA/EASA training program and end up with both sets of licenses for less then you would pay in Europe alone.

Söva
8th Jun 2012, 18:49
Please, do tell a bit more about the FAA and JAA/EASA programmes in the U.S.

I'm also deliberating the idea of leaving EU and choosing the US route. But, the sheer number of colleges, FBO Schoools / Academies and Flight Schools, ... Part 141 or 61 choice ... and the vast amount of various opinions and feedbacks on PPRune and other aviation online forums just makes it such a difficult task to choose the right Flight School or Academy for me.

With the help of Google I was only able to find FlyEASA -- Euro American School of Aviation - Home Page - Florida Flight Training, United States, Private Pilot, Commercial Pilot, Instrument Rating, JAA, FAA, Multi Engine Rating, and more! (http://www.flyeasa.com).
I'd be very much thankful for any kind of recommendation on any other FAA/EASA pilot training centre in the U.S.

Thanks!