PDA

View Full Version : RANT or Microsoft Flight Sim

Heli-Jock
5th Jun 2012, 13:08
Hi Guys, I did my Helicopter Instrument rating earlier in the year and would like to keep all the skills i learned up to date with regards instrument nav.

I don't want to get rusty having spent a small fortune getting the IR.

Im looking for opinions on which would be the better programme for me to buy to allow me to practice navigating when i get spare time. Are there any special controllers i should look for?

I also use Mac's and would both programmes work on a mac?

Any thoughts / advice would be appreciated. :ok:

H

Shawn Coyle
5th Jun 2012, 13:38
Not familiar with RANT, more details please.
Flight Sim is good for procedures. Aerosimulators sims are good for 'flying' IFR stuff.

piravlos01
5th Jun 2012, 13:51
In the past I have been using Microsoft FS. The last years (after switching to Mac), I'm using X-plane 9. You can easily modify a panel there (as I did) to match your needs.
Try using an airplane that can fly at low speeds (I'm using a Beechcraft 200 than can fly at 100kts with flaps), don't bother flying a helicopter. Too unrealistic in both FS and X-plane, especially if you are using a joystick.
You don't need to buy specific controls, a joystick will be fine for an airplane. Don't worry, you are only practicing eye-hand coordination on instrument flying and not helicopter handling.
If you want you can reverse the throttle operation (X-plane) so that the lever on the joystick will work as a collective, pull(back), lower(forward). An airplane on the ILS is the same as a helicopter, concerning the controls.

Helinut
5th Jun 2012, 13:59
Shawn,

Oddsoft Ltd (http://www.oddsoft.co.uk/)

I haven't used it for a while, but as I recall the essential difference between RANT and other flight simulators is that the primary attitude flying is NOT simulated. It allows training in the use and interpretation of radionav aids at all stages of flight. A suite of radionav and instruments is chosen and then can be used to fly en route and approaches. In essence what it does is simulate radionav flight using a basic autopilot interface.

I found it useful in the past.

Because it does not require primary flying of the aircraft, it can be used without needing to have flying controls connected to the computer.

WLM
5th Jun 2012, 14:10
If you want to keep your skills up, or refresh them, I use a simple program written by Airline pilots back in the UK as follows: Cockpitweb: pilot aptitude test,Pilot computer test software,numerapt,numerical reasoning, psychometric test, mathematics,job application,pilot recruitment,IFR Training Software, ATPL Pilot Training, Pilot Training flight simulator, aviation training (http://www.cockpitweb.com)

It's inexpensive, you can input your own airport nav data, and shoot any approach/departure plates that you like. Big bonus it will work an any computers

I use it every month for a couple of hours, and practice makes perfect specially for base check/IR renewals

Cheers

212_Nightdipper
5th Jun 2012, 14:19
Hello guys, back in 2000 when i was going throught US Navy Flight schools we used RIOT Trainer for basic IFR procedures training...is easy to use and also gives you the possibility to create your own approaches....beside X-Plane 10 (that im using nowdays to practice IFR and for fun) is a cheap'n'nice way to keep current for IFR procedures and instrument scan... heres the link:

http://www.bryanweatherup.com/gouge/RIOT-Trainer/index.html (https://wwwcfs.cnet.navy.mil/microsimptt/downloads.cfm)

Hope it Helps :ok:

212ND

Heli-Jock
5th Jun 2012, 14:54
Thanx Guys,
I really appreciate your feed back on this and will be looking at all suggestions in near future.

Thanx Again

H

Brilliant Stuff
6th Jun 2012, 10:08
I got never excited about Flightsim hence I can't give an opinion on it.

I have though heavily used Rant XL for my IR training and now use it before my LPCs.

I can't recommend it highly enough.

Sadly it's not available for Mac but I use Virtual Machine and a copy of Win 7 which runs inside Virtual Machine hey presto RantXL on Mac.

For Rant you only need a mouse no joystick. I believe you can download a memo version from Rant to check it out or if you are anywhere in Hertfordshire you can have a look at mine.

Heli-Jock
8th Jun 2012, 19:54
Thanx Brilliant stuff, im not a big computer buff. Whats virtual Machine?

H

rotorfan
9th Jun 2012, 07:43
Heli-Jock

Since I'm on here and Brilliant isn't, I'll give an answer and hope that he isn't offended by my rudeness in answering the question posed to him.

A virtual machine is essentially a computer system acting as if it were another. In Brilliant's case, it sounds like he's using VM Ware, which allows the use of Windows (and Linux, etc.) on a Mac equipped with an Intel processor. The virtual machine is a piece of software that allows a second operating system to run on the same computer at the same time. So, one would start up the Mac, then start VM, which would launch Windows. Now, a Windows-only program, like RANT, can be run on the Mac hardware. Because two operating systems are running at the same time, one "inside" the other, it is desirable to have a fairly high-performance processor and plenty of RAM. The Windows application might not run quite as quickly as if it was on a PC with equivalent hardware specs, but it's much cheaper than a second computer and actually quite adequate. These same Intel-based Macs can also boot natively on Windows, which means it comes on as a PC when started. Another virtual-machine software is Parallels, though I understand VM Ware works a little better, and I prefer and use the latter.

Brilliant Stuff
9th Jun 2012, 15:34
Cheers Rotorfan,
Exactly.
I use VMware Fusion App on a 4gb Ram Xmas 2010 MacBook.

Works a treat.

rotarywise
9th Jun 2012, 15:40
It really depends whether you want a serious piece of instructional software, purpose-built by a CAA examiner, or a high end video game.

Heli-Jock
9th Jun 2012, 17:18
Rotorfan,
Many thanx for your input, its all starting to become a bit clearer now. Could i run RANT on my macbook pro?
Ive asked a friend of mine whos a computer buff, to look into the whole thing and see if he can get me going.

Cheers

J

Brilliant Stuff
10th Jun 2012, 13:40
Yes you can run it on any Mac.

Brilliant Stuff
10th Jun 2012, 13:43
All you need is the VM ware fusion app which you can buy on the AppStore and ofcourse a copy of win7 and a copy of Rant XL. All three cost money. Rant XL is well worth the £80 it costs to buy from oddsoft.

Two's in
10th Jun 2012, 16:06
Im looking for opinions on which would be the better programme for me to buy to allow me to practice navigating when i get spare time

Flight Sim will do that cheaply and effectively. It will not do anything for hand-eye coordination or basic helo flying skills, but from an IF procedural view, it's perfectly fine.