PDA

View Full Version : EC120 12 year

as350nut
4th Jun 2012, 06:55
Now that the first ec120 types are coming up, or had there 12yr's I was wondering what the feeling was from owners on the cost / experience. Also if they thought that the value for the aircraft was greatly improved. Especially when, after the 12 yr, there of course, is the 15 yr, on the engine coming up. The engine being 3 times the cost of the 12 yr inspection.
Seems to me, if I was in the market for a 2nd hand ec120 I ( being relatively poor/tight) would look at one that had the 12 yr, and 15 yr eng out of the way so 2015/16 looks about right, for the oldest of them. Bit of waiting yet I fear.

tophelios
4th Jun 2012, 08:28
Sure, the 12 years inspection is not as expensive as the one on a 350 (of course, within regular/standard use) ....knowing a company which already performed two of them....For sure engine issue a little bit later on...but you really can find some great opportunities from year 2000, and maybe with one module already changed...and then go a cheap second hand heli...
PM if you look for some in this case...:ok:

Rabraham
28th Sep 2013, 02:11
What is the AVERAGE costs of the 12 year inspection for a Eurocopter 120B

as350nut
29th Sep 2013, 20:57
I am having one done now, roughly 350/400 hours labour, and 35/45k parts assuming nothing comes up extra. So depends on hours, working environment etc Have heard bills from $US80,000 to 245,000 when engine gets involved. Allow 3 months due parts availability.

John R81
2nd Oct 2013, 11:00
as350nut

Or a machine with the 12-year out of the way and almost 8 years left until the engine is due. Before my tenure, my machine had a significant over-temp and hence a zero-time engine at that point. Engine not due until 2020.

There are other machines out there with similar stories

as350nut
2nd Oct 2013, 23:37
Careful -- keep it quite, if they work it out they will all want one.:)
An ec120, done 12 yr, 8- 10 years on engine same price as a 66, twice to 10 times the remaining hours on components, roomier cab, great rotor, faster, sliding door, fly in rain, proper air filter available, with real technology in as much as the VMED; stroking seat technology, safe tail rotor, able to land in high grass. Ain't no comparison in MHO. EC120 maybe isn't the commercial lift ship option but neither is the 66; for the private buyer I can't imagine how you could come up with any other conclusion, than to go with a older ec120

toptobottom
3rd Oct 2013, 09:12
I agree, but caution the 12 year. Some machines fly through the inspection with little or no extras above the mandatory parts list. Several however, have needed major components replaced, including MRGB, TR drive shaft, fenestron blades, MRH, etc. Mine has just come back after 5 months away and a $200k spend and I was talking to another owner yesterday who has just spent $450k after being on the ground for 9 months awaiting parts :eek:

However, as you say - the comparison between the 66 and the 120 isn't really a comparison at all. In fact, I don't understand why the 66 is so expensive!!

helihub
4th Oct 2013, 18:02
I'm hearing of UK-based EC120s going to the Netherlands for their overhaul - cheaper and reported 4-5 week turn round?

toptobottom
4th Oct 2013, 21:57
That's where mine went and great service! PM me for details...
PS 3-4 week turn around; it has a dedicated hangar with an experienced team. I think it's done 13 EC120s now :ok:

irish seaplane
25th Apr 2014, 09:34
Hi,
I am pricing around options on an EC120B 12 year inspection. I have a price from Motorflug Baden Baden of €40,000 plus vat. There are a number of items in the quotation that are vague and open enough for that number to increase.

I am going to call Heli Holland too. Any other recommendations where it can be done without costing a racing fortune?

Thanks,

Irish

toptobottom
25th Apr 2014, 09:49
Irish - we swapped PMs.

HeliMech (in the UK) is also worth considering as it has an aggressive cost structure.

The number of mandatory parts has reduced considerably, but some less scrupulous outfits seem to have forgotten that...

Also talk to me about MRGB corrosion (me and the other six owners in the UK who have had to shell out €60+ k for a replacement as a result of the 12 year...)

TTB

irish seaplane
25th Apr 2014, 10:11
Thanks toptobottom,
I would love to chat with you in the afternoon, I shall pm my number and we chat then.

I have just spoken to Rene in Heli Holland, who was the original owner of this machine. He said the basic inspection is €30k, and we should get out for under €40k if there is no problems like the MRGB. He said the MRGB issue related more to those left outside for any extended periods. The tail rotor drive shaft was also a €7k maybe he mentioned.

I asked him about the module 1 & 2 which is the 15 year item, and he said a calendar reset is possible by doing the seals and the bearings. A full engine overhaul could cost from €75k to €200k+. The reset he mentioned, which is subject to minor contest from some shops, is only half that.

Irish

soloviev
25th Apr 2014, 15:36
Eurotech in Italy is building experience on EC120 too, they've already completed some 12 yrs inspections.
Vola sicuro chi vola con Eurotech | Eurotech (http://www.eurotecheli.com)

peteracer26
30th Dec 2017, 13:08
Anyone got an idea of how much it costs? Looking at a number of them on the market and they seem to be about $250k cheaper where they're coming up in the next year or two, which sounds like it's about where it's going to be but I guess would be good if someone had experience of it?

That said, they all seem rather ambitiously priced given you can get a brand new 505 with G1000 and so on for a couple of hundred k more.

GrayHorizonsHeli
30th Dec 2017, 19:29
this old post thread, and a further search, may help you find your answer (they still wont let me post URL's)

rotorheads/487145-ec120-12-year.html

As an experienced O/H technician on the 120 gearboxes, be very careful on their times, history and location operated. Corrosion has been a particularly bad item and drives up the cost significantly

helihub
30th Dec 2017, 20:05
I have heard apocryphal stories of massively inflated prices for particular parts on 120s, eg seatbelts. Remember too that Airbus have ceased production of the 120, which may have lead to a drop in sales prices, and will not help long term residuals.

The R66 is another proven model in that market.

Don’t be fooled by 505 pricing either. Keep an eye out for “mandatory options” such as standby instruments ($18600) and inlet barrier filter ($7800) which keep the base price down for the marketing dept. Other extras include carpet. Painting the skids the same colour as the fuselage adds $1100 too..

Mee3
31st Dec 2017, 13:13
for those that worried about MGB corrosion, remember to embody the SB mod which is essentially sealing all butt joints with sealant. After this mod, if sealant is cure properly, 99% of the machine will never have the corrosion problem. You should be able to do it at the 6Y.

inlet barrier filter ($7800) which keep the base price down for the marketing dept.
Ah, IBF, the best and the worst thing happen to the industry. Maximum 7 year SLL since manufactured.

heliturbo
1st Jan 2018, 11:08
in january 2017 I bought a 2004 Ec120 with close to 3000tt
got the 12 year inspection done in Montréal by a shop, referred by Airbus ,who has done quite a few, for Under 400 hours and less than 30k in parts, fortunately all AD were done and no big issues came up, no corrosion, a few cracks on the engine compartment, alos the turbine had reached its limit, so it was out to TurboMeca in the US, 250k and over 3 months it came back as good as new, zero time with full mfg warranty, they loaned me a turbine in the meantime.
I could not be happier, after 800 hours on a RavenII, its a totally different machine, and I agree it cannot be compared to a Robinson, be it a 44 or a 66.
I now have over 100 hour of operation in 6 months without the smallest snags or issues...just pure pleasure and safety.

my total cost is well Under the price of a new 66, but I have years, if not décades of pleasure, it will survive me for sure, the 505, as equipped is well over 1,5mm us, well above a reasonnable used 120....and definitely not the same, although they are manufactured here in Montréal.

peteracer26
1st Jan 2018, 15:05
So, if you don't mind me asking (I can't PM you it seems), roughly how much did you pay for it in the first place? People are asking $900k or so for one with a 12 year done but without the engine replacement, which at $250k makes it rather more than an R66 (which I'm afraid is just out for me, when you're in to buying helicopters it is of course more out of desire than necessity, and it's just not remotely desirable to my eye).

heliturbo
1st Jan 2018, 19:45
when I was shopping, a year ago, there were more than 25 for sale on Controller, today, only 13......thus the reason for the higher price, as to do with price elasticity...rarity is the culprit here

John R81
9th Jan 2018, 08:49
You can get a v good ship at sensible prices. Not sure if the "asking price" on these advertisements is anything more than an opening bid in the negotiation.

PM me if you want to be put in touch which some private sellers.

MannyB206
8th Feb 2018, 00:06
in january 2017 I bought a 2004 Ec120 with close to 3000tt
got the 12 year inspection done in Montréal by a shop, referred by Airbus ,who has done quite a few, for Under 400 hours and less than 30k in parts, fortunately all AD were done and no big issues came up, no corrosion, a few cracks on the engine compartment, alos the turbine had reached its limit, so it was out to TurboMeca in the US, 250k and over 3 months it came back as good as new, zero time with full mfg warranty, they loaned me a turbine in the meantime.
I could not be happier, after 800 hours on a RavenII, its a totally different machine, and I agree it cannot be compared to a Robinson, be it a 44 or a 66.
I now have over 100 hour of operation in 6 months without the smallest snags or issues...just pure pleasure and safety.

my total cost is well Under the price of a new 66, but I have years, if not décades of pleasure, it will survive me for sure, the 505, as equipped is well over 1,5mm us, well above a reasonnable used 120....and definitely not the same, although they are manufactured here in Montréal.

Hi there, which shop in Montreal did the job? is your EC120 red by any chance... in the St. Hubert area?