PDA

View Full Version : Helen Johnston - JSFAW Wokkas to the rescue

chopper2004
3rd Jun 2012, 18:21
Having read the Sunday Mirror, about the SAS raid to rescue kidnapped hostage -aid worker Helen Johnston, they mentioned Wokkas partaking in the extraction

SAS team storm Taliban cave to rescue British charity worker held hostage - Mirror Online (http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/sas-team-storm-taliban-cave-860855)

Nice work guys :)

Roger the cabin boy
3rd Jun 2012, 19:19
BEADWINDOW.

Kitbag
3rd Jun 2012, 19:29
I suspect Roger has something up his aŁ$e.
I am sure that those who know will know what can be said and will restrict themselves to it.

Melchett01
3rd Jun 2012, 19:32
OP is clearly fishing - the only platform mentioned is a USAF C-130.

Nothing to see here, move along.

Milo Minderbinder
3rd Jun 2012, 19:33
I don't see any mention of who took part in that Mirror report, but this from the Express seems to be a bit too free with the identities of who took part - and numbers involved
Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | World News :: SAS kill 7 to save British aid worker held hostage by Taliban (http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/324152/SAS-kill-7-to-save-British-aid-worker-held-hostage-by-Taliban)
and more here
Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | World News :: Courage of SAS team who saved captives in cave (http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/324338/Courage-of-SAS-team-who-saved-captives-in-cave)

Too much detail? Or too much conjecture by the Express?

anotherthing
3rd Jun 2012, 21:39
May well be conjecture... or may well be correct detail. If the latter, it's not exactly detailed secrets, is it?

I think some people get too precious about what they think constitutes a security breach...

Laarbruch72
3rd Jun 2012, 22:05
I think some people get too precious about what they think constitutes a
security breach...

And conversely I think many people get too cavalier and scoff about whether something might be a bogus security issue, it almost seems fashionable to laugh about security and put it down.

Don't forget that there is always someone on PPruNe who can't wait to give away information so that they look knowledgeable, they can't help themselves. It happens all the time... just because something can be found in the public domain doesn't mean we should make it easier to find. AQ do read the main sites like PPruNe.

When in doubt, don't discuss it.

chopper2004
3rd Jun 2012, 22:19
My apologies all and no I wasn't trolling merely congrtulatory and complimenting t was the 2 page spread in today's Sunday Mirror tabloid as with the Express which mentions Sieben Though they used a pic of 53 Echo.

I was mildly surprised that as said detail was published.

When Basher Five One (or Two) was rescued in the book Return with Honour - showed pics and MEU description.

But when Jessica Lynch was rescued there werebt any of the units congratulated or mentioned anywhere in her book nor the web. The only reference around was the official news feed from Mavericks old hide out and the unit from therr taking part. Apart from her good self getting presented with medal in D.C but no mention of any of the helo crews getting commendations by Bush.

Cheers and happy bank holiday

GreenKnight121
4th Jun 2012, 06:29
chopper2004... perhaps the reason they used a drawing of a CH-53 was because there were CH-53s involved?

The first Express story Milo linked seems to imply so.
To avoid the sound of helicopters giving away their approach, more than 140 troops, commanded by an SAS major, made their way across hostile country at night after being dropped by German helicopters 13 miles away.The Germans have quite a few CH-53s in their forces, although they are -G models... German-spec CH-53Ds, not -53Es.

Then the RAF's Chinooks came in for the getaway.

As soon as the assault started RAF Chinook helicopters from 7 Special Forces Squadron flew in to take the hostages back to Bagram airbase, where they were given a medical check-up. It was all over in 30 minutes.

But was it really German CH-53s? The other Express story says no... and that there were apparently no SAS enlisted men along.

The British officers were carried in Black Hawk helicopters to an area of thick forest and scrub about 10 miles from the cave.

Since Germany has no Blackhawk/Pavehawk helos, one of the stories must be wrong.