PDA

View Full Version : Meribel Altiport, France

jymil
3rd Jun 2012, 17:39
I am planning a trip to the Savoy region in France and the Meribel Altiport seems like a good destination for a stopover, especially because there is a real nice hotel just next to the airport ..

I already read the french AIP to gather some info, but I still have some open questions and someone who already visited the place may have some hints for me.

First, the AIP says it's a restricted airport and you need to be a holder of the french mountain licence. Is that also true for helicopters ? (E.g. in Courchevel they have the same restriction, but helicopters are specifically exempted from that rule). Second, how is overnight parking handled there ? E.g. a hangar available or just putting the machine somewhere with tiedowns and cover ? Heli type would be an R44, so I could carry the ground handling wheels on board.

Thanks in advance for all hints.

sycamore
3rd Jun 2012, 17:59
You could just `phone and speak to the Operations Director....

jymil
3rd Jun 2012, 18:18
Not sure my french is good enough ..

Aucky
3rd Jun 2012, 18:43
The mountain rating doesn't apply to helicopters using the French altiports. I've been into Courchevel in the winter a number of times, but not into Meribel, although flown passed it a bit. It's very tight and committal - as is obvious I wouldn't go in too heavy especially in the summer density altitudes, but if you live in Switzerland perhaps you have the Swiss mountain rating? Or are at least used to taking-off/landing at higher density altitudes? It was covered in snow when I was there so can't offer much advice on the surface, but I don't think they have hangarage as most were parked in the snow...

Cylinder Head
7th Jun 2012, 10:57
Don't even think of going into the Alps, particularly somewhere like Meribel, without an experienced mountain instructor. It's very tight and there is no go-around. Without proper training, you will almost certainly get it wrong first time and with genuinely limited power, that means crashing! Suggest you look at a helicopter alpine appreciation course with a reputable flying school for your visit.

Aucky is correct in that the Mountain Rating is only required for fixed wing, so heli pilots do not need this qualification. However avoid stepping on the local operators' toes, whilst they have always very friendly and helpful to us, they generally have noise abatement procedures which if not followed very carefully can upset their neighbours and affects their business. Best to make sure you have a really thorough understanding of such procedures by visiting them by road first before attempting to fly in.

CH

Aucky
7th Jun 2012, 20:29
CH, I agree, good advice. Jymil flys in Switzerland and has a Swiss mountain rating as I understand it so I think in this case he's well prepared, but even so good to be cautious :ok: