PDA

View Full Version : living in Bahrain - beaches?

shorthauler72
3rd Jun 2012, 14:00
Hi folks,
I will be moving to Bahrain in a few weeks. Getting increasingly confused about one thing - I read a lot about beaches there, but when I ask a real person, I am being told there are none?

Well, some people expect a Pina Colada every 15 minutes and Shrimp Satay on a Skewer brought to their deck chair. I am not one of them. Just looking for a patch of water to jump in for half an hour (for me, my kids and my wife) and then go on and do the groceries. No way to find this in Bahrain?

Best,
Holger

Duffb
5th Jun 2012, 04:55
It is dessert, lots of beach no trees or any shade. At least the water is warm.;)

ironbutt57
5th Jun 2012, 04:57
What beach????

ironbutt57
5th Jun 2012, 04:59
If you live in Amwaj yes, best place,

OBBI_Express
5th Jun 2012, 09:00
Agree with Ironbutt. Amwaj is the place for beach life here in Bahrain.
Durrat Bahrain also has some beaches but it a long distance from there to airport

Landflap
5th Jun 2012, 09:45
Life's a beach !

bond737
9th Jun 2012, 08:00
Spent some good years in that Kingdom (earlier a state). Shame whats happened recently.

ironbutt57 is right. Amwaj is the place.
But there are few private beaches, like the Bapco one. which is quite good a place if you can get to know someone who works there to help you get in.

The famous Zallaq beach isn't that clean a beach. But the Hotel there has something attractive to offer. Sofitel.

Other than that, It is dessert, lots of beach no trees or any shade. At least the water is warm. ;)

Panama Jack
9th Jun 2012, 10:25
Nothing like what is available in places like Ras Al Khaimah, Ko Samui, Copa Cabana or Cancun in Bahrain, but Amwaj is the place for the nautical minded life. There are a few resorts that offer beaches, or if you have a boat or a friend with a boat, there is a small island offshore about half-way to the Qatari coast which is a popular place to go, feel white sand push up between your toes, and have a drink while enjoying an all-round relaxed atmosphere.

John21UK
9th Jun 2012, 12:41
Al Dar Island is nice for a afternoon. Proper beach and ideal for kids. You'll have to pay for it but it's worth it.

shorthauler72
9th Jun 2012, 17:53
Thanks for all the advice. I will definitely have a good look at Amwaj when I will be house hunting in Bahrain in a few weeks. I will be flying a desk, and that desk is in the Sulmaniya part of town, and my company warned me of a long (in time, not in distance) daily commute from Amwaj during rush hour. We shall see ...

Had my last flight in New York airspace recently, going up and down the Hudson in a C172R. Not an easy place to leave ...

Keep the blue side up,
Holger