PDA

View Full Version : Single Engine IR vs. Multi Engine IR

fly4cash-ride4fun
2nd Jun 2012, 10:49
Maybe someone can help me out with this question. It is about the importance of a SE IR vs a ME IR. I understand the difference, yet I think I am in a different situation than most. I am a FAA ATP helo pilot and I also have a JAA CPL (H). I also have S-61 and S-92 FAA Type ratings, no JAA Type ratings. And about 5000 hours in helicopters. So would I still need to get the ME IR to make myself competitive, or can I get a SE IR, and rely on my FAA ratings and experience to be competitive. I am hoping to fly offshore.

iamthetroll
2nd Jun 2012, 10:57
That'd depend on where you wish to fly (JAA land, or FAA land). To fly a ME aircraft IFR you need to to have a ME IR, a single engine IR wouldn't enable you to fly on either of the types on your licence under IFR conditions.
I don't know if a JAA state will recognise your types and transfer them to your JAA CPL, but I believe there is an IR bridging course which is accelerated in terms of hours to complete, and as such will be cheaper.
The simple way to put it: to get yourself a job flying IFR in the UK, you need an ME IR. (Though I stand to be corrected).

Safe flying.

GoodGrief
2nd Jun 2012, 11:19
Convert your FAA IR to a JAA IR on a single, for example on a 206 in Billund.
Let the employer handle the conversion to ME IR.
When you have more than 350 hours and min. 2 wihin the last 12 months on the mentioned types they can be put on your JAA CPL with a check ride.

fly4cash-ride4fun
2nd Jun 2012, 13:37
GoodGrief,

Thanks, that is the type of answer I was looking for. I live near Billund, and was considering going there for my IR, which prompted the question to begin with. Are Employers inclined to accept you with a SE IR with the rest of the proper experience.

Jet Ranger
2nd Jun 2012, 14:36
First you need to convert your licence to JAA, and be current with IR-H (JAA, of course), after that you will be interesting for them because of your S92 type rating, and probably they will accept you.

But you still will not have JAA S-92 IFR TYPE RATING (that is a difference between FAA and JAA, that VFR and IFR type rating). You need 5 hours "extension" from SE to ME IR-H and check ride on S-92. Employer will provide you with that 5 hours and check, I suppose.

If you have JAA ME-IR(H), extension for type rating is only 2 hours.

JR

heli-mad
12th Jun 2012, 10:45
Hi Guys,

I am trying to locate a school to do a JAA IR in Europe. I hold a FAA CPL-IR(H) and a JAA CPL with ATP exams.

I tried Norhtern Helis in Sweden but cannot get a straight answer of what i need to do as i have a B206 on my JAA license as well.

Any place you could recomend? Whrer is Billund???
:confused:
Thanks

H-M

GoodGrief
12th Jun 2012, 10:48
Let me google that for you (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=billund)

heli-mad
12th Jun 2012, 11:22
Forgot we have Google in our lifes now!!:ok:

Thanks, found the school now and got a price.

Many thanks

H-M

HeliboyDreamer
12th Jun 2012, 13:48
GoodGrief

How did you do that?

Post edition: Got it ==> http:// + lmgtfy.com/?q= + billund

Really nice tools:D