PDA

View Full Version : Requirements JAA CPL in USA

mouphasa
2nd Jun 2012, 08:01
Hi everyone,

Need some help to clarify this question as i'm having quite different answers, even from FTO's...

I have a JAA PLL and ATPL theory done. I have a total flight time of 110h, of which aprox 50 are PIC, these were all done during an integrated ATPL course.

Unfortunately it wasn't possible to finish this course and now i am thinking of doing it in the US (to cut the costs).

So the question is: What requirements will i need to initiate IR training and CPL training in the US. The big question is how much time building will i need to initiate the CPL?

And by the way...any feedback from Euro American School of Aviation (FlyEasa)?

Thanks!

Jerry Lee
2nd Jun 2012, 11:26
You need at least 150 TT to obtain the CPL. As far as I know, the IR can't be done in the USA so you will have to do it in Europe.

About the school, I only know they are german.

Bearcat F8F
2nd Jun 2012, 15:38
That's incorrect. You need a minimum of 150 hours TT to START the CPL. Not to obtain it.

To start the IR, you need 70 hours PIC (of which 50 need to be x-country time). And you can only do the JAA IR in Europe.

mouphasa
3rd Jun 2012, 12:02
Here's the info i got from them:

"I suggest completing the following courses in the order listed:
FAA IR SEP
Hour build
JAA CPL MEP
JAA IR MEP conversion (7 days in US + 14 in UK)

You will need a minimum of 150 total hours (100 of which must be PIC), as well as have all 14 ATPL exams passed, before you can start JAA CPL training.
You will need to convert your PPL into a FAA PPL, apply for TSA approval, and receive a M1 visa prior to entering the US for flight training. The process typically takes 4-6 weeks to complete. The FAA PPL conversion process is a simple application process"

So i guess that the 150 TT is to start, not to obtain. Although i think that i only need 70 PIC and not 100 as mentioned, because the Flight time i have was obtained during an integrated course.

Someone who has flown in the US?

typhoonboy
3rd Jun 2012, 12:13
You need 150 hours total time and 70 hours pilot in command to start CPL traing. To apply for the licence you need 100 hours Pilot in command and have completed a cpl course and skills test.

BigGrecian
3rd Jun 2012, 14:29
And you can only do the JAA IR in Europe.

Not true.

There are two schools approved by the UK CAA to conduct IR training in the USA - one of which doesn't actually use their approval and has a bad rep anyhow.

The test is done in Europe but the training is done in the USA. With EASA there is no minimum training in Europe just the test - but I think both do 15 sim/aircraft in the UK meaning 35 hours done in the USA - normally all aircraft and cheap multi instruction too.

BillieBob
3rd Jun 2012, 16:12
Although i think that i only need 70 PIC and not 100 as mentioned, because the Flight time i have was obtained during an integrated course.That's an interesting one. JAR-FCL 1 does, indeed, state "70 hours as pilot-in-command if gained during the integrated course" but you would be wise to check with your licensing authority. I know that, for example, the French DGAC has, in the past, permitted this reduction only if the pilot has graduated from (i.e. completed) an integrated course. It is likely, for the same reason, that you will need a total of 200 hours for licence issue.