PDA

View Full Version : Herc Crew in low flying shocker!

TheWizard
2nd Jun 2012, 07:59
Low-flying fright - Dumfries and Galloway Standard (http://www.dgstandard.co.uk/dumfries-news/local-news-dumfries/local-news-dumfriesshire/2012/06/01/51311-31088119/?)

“My eldest daughter Kelly-Ann was sitting in the passenger seat. She’s 39-weeks pregnant and the shock could have put her into labour.
“That would have been fun and games.”
Mr Martin, aged 50, now plans to report the incident in writing to the RAF.
He added: “I phoned the police and was given two phone numbers for the RAF but haven’t been able to get through.

Probably tried after 1700 or at the weekend!! :}

MAD Boom
2nd Jun 2012, 08:22
How about we ask pregnant women to wear hi-viz jackets like horse riders do.

6nandneutral
2nd Jun 2012, 08:32
The cost of freedom.

BBOWFIGHTER
2nd Jun 2012, 08:42
RAF spokesman said:
“This region is a designated Tactical Training Area within the UK’s Low Flying System and the aircraft was therefore cleared to fly at altitudes down to 150 feet at times.

No doubt it looked a whole lot lower than 150 feet but I know of no-one who can measure height from the ground up.

Maybe just another NIMBY.

Lord Spandex Masher
2nd Jun 2012, 08:54
Why would you swerve to avoid something 150' above you?

Do they know something I don't?

ZH875
2nd Jun 2012, 08:59
If they don't want it 150 foot above them, send it in my direction PLEASE

Tashengurt
2nd Jun 2012, 09:05
If it's a boy will they call it Albert?

CrabInCab
2nd Jun 2012, 09:08
At 39 weeks, a fly farting could have sent her into labour - get a grip man!

:ugh:

mad_jock
2nd Jun 2012, 09:12
Must admit I have been given a fright when a tonka has gone screaming over the top from behind me on that road. My only reaction afterwards was to look for the second one.

And in my lorry driving days when things were alot busier in respect to mil training low level I did see several near misses when drivers got a bit of a fright on the M74 with usually jets.

I know this might be a bit of a spoil sport but maybe 150ft over the main arterial road up to Scotland isn't that good an idea. Mind you its been going on for years and there hasn't been an issue before. Everyone screams up that bit of road doing well over the speed limit and its not known to be an accident hotspot.

Nothing that a few signs wouldn't solve though.

Exascot
2nd Jun 2012, 09:39
Find the nut case pilot and ground him. :ugh:

Sure, let him/her go into theatre to fly at low level with no training or practice. Great idea.

Shell Management
2nd Jun 2012, 09:53
The RAF have a duty of care to the civilian population. I hope there will be a proper investigation.

Tourist
2nd Jun 2012, 09:57
What would they investigate?

Man says Herc flew very low over road.

MOD says yes it did and was allowed to.

Investigation over

DB6
2nd Jun 2012, 10:02
Shell, it's known as protecting them in times of war. Twaaaat.

mad_jock
2nd Jun 2012, 10:16
As a matter of interest what are those pillocks in the SNP saying about the trainning areas up north. In the unlikely event they get a yes vote are they going to be off limits as well?

If so thats going to be huge amounts of training areas gone.

Milo Minderbinder
2nd Jun 2012, 10:18
Reminds me of the way that 30 years or so ago the Buccaneers used to play chicken with trains on the West Coast Main Line over Tebay / Shap.
Story goes that so many drivers went off with stress that BR had to make an official complaint to the RAF to stop the drivers striking
If you're driving a train you can't exactly swerve to avoid a head on collision...

Basil
2nd Jun 2012, 10:22
Avitor, You really must prefix your posts with [irony] ;)

Basil
2nd Jun 2012, 10:23
play chicken with trains
Bally heck! That's just brought back a forgotten memory :}

Melchett01
2nd Jun 2012, 10:51
Shell Management,

The RAF also has a duty of care to ensure its crews are properly trained for their operational role. I too hope there will be a thorough investigation. It shouldn't take longer than a couple of days to pull the radar traces and compare those to the auth sheets and then this will be seen for what it really is - another vexatious attempt to screw money out of the government by somebody who clearly has no concept of what the military exists for, but instead sees the opportunity to make a fast buck.

Avitor
2nd Jun 2012, 10:59
Avitor, You really must prefix your posts with [irony] ;)

Yes, Basil...I note my post has been deleted, perhaps it was somewhat blunt! Maybe I should have inquired as to what the crew of a Herc were going to learn from low flying over a busy motorway. Prior to Desert Storm I saw US tank busters dive bombing tractors working in fields, I saw the benefits of that excercise but a Motorway and a Herc? Maybe I am missing something?

newt
2nd Jun 2012, 11:21
Well, I live in Dumfries and Galloway and have seen the Hercs and others low flying. All looks legal to me!

Just not low enough and not enough of them!!

Well done boys:ok::ok::ok::ok::ok::ok::ok::ok:

You can use my house as a target any time your passing! Love it when the neighbours think I still have mates in the RAF and have organised them to fly over the village!!

Courtney Mil
2nd Jun 2012, 11:30
Your neighbours think you have mates, Newt? Don't they know you? :E Sorry, couldn't resist!

Courtney

Torque Tonight
2nd Jun 2012, 11:42
If this gentleman is unable to drive his car without swerving at the sight of aircrft in the sky then perhaps he lacks the competency to be a taxi driver. Or maybe he's just fishing for compo like the Scottish driver who claimed that my downwash shattered his windscreen. 80ft, 140kts: I think not pal.

Shell Management has been remarkably consistent in his recent posts. Funny how an aircrew hater likes to hang around aircrew forums. Maybe a Jag pilot ran away with his houseboy. I look forward to trying out the ignore function.

oldmansquipper
2nd Jun 2012, 12:24
I find this hard to believe...I definitely saw a C-130 over Weston-O-G on the same day. So... that means that at least 2 of them escaped the last "review".

As I say...I find this hard to believe.;)

Flyboy380
2nd Jun 2012, 12:48
I was driving along the M25 a few days ago and I saw a huge yellow orb in the sky, It frightened living daylights out of me. Held my nerve though...

Fox3WheresMyBanana
2nd Jun 2012, 12:50
I seem to recall that when H&S first had a look at RAF low flying, back in the '80's, it was recommended that there would be fewer aircrew deaths overall (peace and war) if we flew lower than 250'. This was deemed publicly unacceptable. Would appreciate confirmation.

Mind you, I once met a climber that had a Tornado scream past him at 250' MSD when he was halfway up a climb, and it turned out I was the pilot. Adrenaline is brown, apparently, so I do sympathise with the Earthlings.

waveskimmer
2nd Jun 2012, 12:52
NEWT

KUDOS :D:D:ok::ok:

charliegolf
2nd Jun 2012, 13:10
Can't have the people paying the bills everquestioning how the money is spent! How very dare a member of the public challenge a sky-god. The irony on pprune, of course, is that if the Herc was at 100 feet, the outrage bus would have been fuelled by post 4.

CG

mad_jock
2nd Jun 2012, 13:52
The M74 does go up and down a bit as well, alot more than 150ft.

So I could quite imagine that some corners you could come round and find yourself face to face with an on coming aircraft. And lets face it the Herk isn't the most good looking aircraft from any angle.

You get the same thing on the A9 as well.

And Dumfries is hardly a den of mil haters. Its always had good links with the Lowlands Regiments and I wouldn't be suprised if the recruiting center is one of the busy ones.

Will admit the article is sensationalised crap. But having experenced a brown moment myself with the tonka going overhead I can quite imagine it all being a bit of a shock to the system.

Its only 45 meters and if you think about it your average artic on that road is 4m high and the bulk wagons are 5 meters. So its not surprising that the bloke thought it was lower than it was.

Herod
2nd Jun 2012, 14:32
mad jock, Waddya mean, the Herc isn't a good looking aircraft? It looked good to me when I was flying it; albeit many years ago.

sharpend
2nd Jun 2012, 14:41
I remember once on Maple Flag flying rather low (authorised to 100 ft agl).

In the debrief the gun camera film seemed to show that I was only about 20 feet. When I had to climb up over a train, the QWI reported me to the Boss. I suggested the Boss view my film. He did and noticed that the HUD read R100 so I obviously was at 100 feet agl the whole time. What the Wg Cdr did not know was that I had bodge tape over the rad alt press to test so it read 100 feet, even on the ground!

They have big trains in Canada, Boss & I never broke any rules!

Shack37
2nd Jun 2012, 14:54
Avitor

Yes, Basil...I note my post has been deleted, perhaps it was somewhat blunt! Maybe I should have inquired as to what the crew of a Herc were going to learn from low flying over a busy motorway. Prior to Desert Storm I saw US tank busters dive bombing tractors working in fields, I saw the benefits of that excercise but a Motorway and a Herc? Maybe I am missing something?

Yes , I think you are. You seem to be basing your opinion on the hysterical thoughts of a taxi driver accompanied by his hysterical daughters, one of whom was 39 weeks pregnant. Maybe her unborn infant will grow up to be a pilot as a result of the experience.

The RAF have a duty of care to the civilian population. I hope there will be a proper investigation.

Good old shell management, ever the defender of elf n safety at any cost. Just be grateful that there are boys and girls willing to take risks to protect people like you in spite of your obvious bias. Explain "duty of care" when one of their lives is lost saving yours.

mad_jock
2nd Jun 2012, 15:12
Ok would it be better to say it looks fit for purpose and buisness like when coming at you at 250knts?

I am all in favour of low flying but can see that 150ft over a motorway might not be the best idea out there.

soddim
2nd Jun 2012, 15:44
Hope they're not holding any of the Herc crew responsible for the pregnancy.

Above The Clouds
2nd Jun 2012, 16:05
6nandneutral
The cost of freedom.

Summed up in one short sentance :ok:

Did he manage to set the speed cameras off :p

langleybaston
2nd Jun 2012, 16:21
"No doubt it looked a whole lot lower than 150 feet but I know of no-one who can measure height from the ground up".

Met. Observers.

Cloud base.

Lots of practice in Scotland, too.

Amazingly accurate, the good ones, enormously helped by feedback from aircrew in circuit, etc.

As a mere forecaster I could only manage to the nearest 1000 ft!

Doctor Cruces
2nd Jun 2012, 16:48
Probably another know it all who thinks a Herc has a wingspan of 30 or 40 feet so it must have been really low to look that big!!

:ok:

Union Jack
2nd Jun 2012, 17:11
She’s 39-weeks pregnant and the shock could have put her into labour.

Could have been much worse - it could have put her into Liberal Democrats .....:eek:

Jack

Melchett01
2nd Jun 2012, 17:55
Could have been even worse than that ... it's probably all been timed to fit in with the school holidays, an early arrival might have really put a spanner in the works :}

DX Wombat
2nd Jun 2012, 18:21
Many years ago I was pootling southwards down the A55 to Penmaenmawr and spotted a large aircraft (which turned out to be a Hercules) flying very low over the sea from Anglesey. I watched with bated breath convinced it it was going to hit the hills but to my delight it turned right, climbed and flew between the mountains. I couldn't see the topography properly from my car so had thought it was a solid block of hills, but I enjoyed the whole event. Now, from A Midwife's point of view, 39 weeks is a perfectly acceptable length of gestation for a baby. :ok: Compensation-seeking comes to mind. :*

OafOrfUxAche
2nd Jun 2012, 19:15
I was pootling southwards down the A55 to Penmaenmawr

Must have been a short pootle before you hit the verge...

ShyTorque
2nd Jun 2012, 19:21
When my wife was three weeks overdue we got her riding my partly restored classic motorbike around the garden. Thought it might work, especially as it had no seat fitted.

It didn't!

However, I nearly had kittens when she almost crashed it into the garage wall :eek:

Dengue_Dude
2nd Jun 2012, 19:29
I don't believe he WAS a taxi driver - his name isn't Mohammed.

Of course, he would know what 100 ft looks like on an aircraft with a 132 foot wingspan.

Get over it - checkout where 'sympathy' comes in the dictionary.

About the most dangerous thing he'll do is pick up a drunk in the Gorbals . . . hmm on the other hand . . . :E

Avitor
2nd Jun 2012, 19:44
Avitor

Yes , I think you are. You seem to be basing your opinion on the hysterical thoughts of a taxi driver accompanied by his hysterical daughters, one of whom was 39 weeks pregnant. Maybe her unborn infant will grow up to be a pilot as a result of the experience.

No! I need no one to prompt me, I am basing my comments on totally irresponsible flying. Low flying by all means, but over a busy road...certainly not. Let's see some respect, please.

green granite
2nd Jun 2012, 20:04
Avitor, roads go through gaps in hills, Aeroplanes, if they are trying to stay below radar detection height will do the same, sometimes using the same gap is inevitable.

If that taxi driver took his eyes off the road, that according to him was full of swerving vehicles, for long enough to accurately determine that the Herc was flying at 100' then the police should be having words with him about driving without due care and attention.

OldnDaft
2nd Jun 2012, 20:16
I echo the comments of some earlier posts - I was brought up just over the border and it is an area with proud and ongoing military connections. The piece in the local paper is a bit if filler, it must have been a quiet news day!

Chris Griffin
2nd Jun 2012, 20:17
Avitor -

Respect is earned, not automatic. Claiming that the whole crew were guilty of "totally irresponsible flying" with no cogent evidence = troll.

The herk crews i know are thoroughly professional aviators and in the present climate it is not worth the poo storm to exceed ones authorisation. There are no specific regulations concerning flying over roads. Consequently, if the crew are operating within a reasonable authorisation then there can be NO comeback.

Provide evidence to back your claim or retract / delete your post please.

DX Wombat
2nd Jun 2012, 20:20
OK Oaf, I was pootling from the direction of Liverpool ;) Will that do?

November4
2nd Jun 2012, 20:41
Can we have some or this low flying stuff over the Chippenham area....again....please...

Dengue_Dude
2nd Jun 2012, 20:46
No! I need no one to prompt me, I am basing my comments on totally irresponsible flying. Low flying by all means, but over a busy road...certainly not. Let's see some respect, please.

Were you there? How could you possibly call it irresponsible? From your tone, I reckon you'd not see much with your head so firmly up 'there'.

But I respect the hell out of you . . . How am I doing?

Avitor
2nd Jun 2012, 20:51
Were you there? How could you possibly call it irresponsible? From your tone, I reckon you'd not see much with your head so firmly up 'there'.

But I respect the hell out of you . . . *How am I doing?

*Closing ranks, like the rest of them. :=

OafOrfUxAche
2nd Jun 2012, 21:24
DX,

Oh alright then! Let's leave this thread to the intelligentsia...

Oaf:p

PS I'm only jealous of your dit!

Samuel
2nd Jun 2012, 21:30
Avitor, is clearly not an abbreviation of 'Aviator' because you evidently have no experience whatsoever of aviation, but merely "have an interest" in it.

So, let me add to your interest by observing a few facts.

First, you're complaining about something you clearly have no knowledge of other than what a newspaper says ergo, you have no knowledge of fact.

Secondly, 150' if, indeed, that was the height of the aircraft, but you don't know that, is actually much further away from a vehicle on a road than the vehicles in front and behind,and with a far more competent crew so if a driver finds it necessary to swerve then he's incompetent.

Nervous SLF
2nd Jun 2012, 21:38
Please excuse a mere civilian but I would love to see a Herc fly low, it just won't happen where I live
here in NZ. As for fast jets - no chance whatsoever unless we are invaded.
People who complain, like that taxi driver, should feel ashamed and keep their mouths shut.

MATELO
2nd Jun 2012, 21:41

Shame it didnt work, I could have put a business venture in place at the end of BZN runway for "overdue" expectant mothers.

Jamie-Southend
2nd Jun 2012, 21:46
“I could have had a heart attack.”

Load of old tosh, he was a taxi driver, and should have passed a class 1 medical, he wouldnt have had an attack....stroke maybe :/

aluminium persuader
2nd Jun 2012, 22:01
Last time I met a taxi-driver, I was stationary at traffic lights. He was so busy programming his sat-nav, he went straight into the back of me at over 60km/h. Wrote my car off!
:mad:
ap

oldmansquipper
2nd Jun 2012, 22:49
I was in an Albert acting as a co-opted "spotter" - I was on my knees by the right hand seat looking out for Red Air tipping in.

A brief movement in my peripheral vision made me look down to see a pair of "my" Jags passing underneath (just) us. Most impressive.

The Rad Alt (black bodge taped to the cockpit coaming in those days) showed 100 ft ....:ooh: :eek:

Krystal n chips
3rd Jun 2012, 07:12
Low flying does affect people in different ways....heading South one day and descending Tebay, coming in the opposite direction were two Jags...the Merc in front duly performed several "S" turns.....possibly because of the Tornado which was doing it's best to catch them up...made my day as they say..

The shock of a low flying jet can, however, have a silver lining....Llangurig, many years ago and a "very self important" and very junior Pilot Officer ( complete with sheperds crook no less ) is pontificating to a "less than rapt" audience of apprentices...those of you who fly the Low Level routes will be aware of Llangurig..so, we are facing North, our "hero" South..when an F-4 appears, sees the encampment on the riverside, drops down..and duly overflies the camp with noise selected and at some speed...height being possibly below that permitted..cough !...our "hero", taken by surprise, shock and awe..duly throws himself into the ground..face first...priceless to watch:D.....the F-4 duly made a second pass....:ok:...this time with the crew using hand signals which were reciprocated by the watching troops....with one exception that is.

barnstormer1968
3rd Jun 2012, 09:42
I think that perhaps many posters here are completely missing the point, and that avitor has the facts right (despite not being there and having no idea of the height of the aircraft, or whether any other cars did in fact swerve, or whether the taxi driver has a heart problem, or whether the daughter is in fact 39 weeks pregnant).

The article claims that the Herc narrowly missed the car, and that it was flying at less than 100 feet (oh, is that AGL or AMSL.....Perhaps avitor can tell us.......maybe it was AMSL and was flying underground...that would be scary), so perhaps it was only flying at 7 feet above the road level, as 99 feet would leave it 94 feet above the cars roof. I would not call a distance of two artic lorries and trailers a near miss.

Anyhow, I cant stop to chat now, as I drive past the approach end of Bristol airport's runway daily (as do lots of other drivers, plus drivers near other city airports) and am off to pick up a car load of pregnant ladies!

Luckily for the taxi driver, his daughter and avitor there will be several sources of evidence that will show the height of this aircraft, and I'm sure avitor will be back to tell us the exact height once this has been investigated!:E

JP1
3rd Jun 2012, 12:29
This thread has reminded me of being beaten up by a Puma sometime in the summer of '91 (possibly '92).

I was driving my new XR2, sunroof open, windows down and I think about 95mph (pushing 100) on the clock. I was on a section of road (probably the B390) a few miles past Stonehenge where a few feet to my right the farmers field drops away.

Pushing a 100 with the windows down in an XR2 generates a LOT of wind noise, with the stereo full on I am still not sure I could hear any music. Anyway given all that wind noise I still heard the rotors of the Puma and thought WTF is that. Glanced to by right to see a PUMA level with me!!! and maybe 2 rotor disc away.

Must of being quite a laugh in the Puma. Seeing a boy racer in his black XR2 and then deciding to cream it!

Milo Minderbinder
3rd Jun 2012, 12:58
Considering most such cars are driven either by blonde bimbo trophy wives, or gay hairdressers, either way they would have thought it worth the wind-up

NutLoose
3rd Jun 2012, 13:36
Perhaps the young lady in question should move to Sweden

C-130 Hercules flying low! - YouTube

dazdaz1
3rd Jun 2012, 14:19
Back in the early 80s I travelled to work on my motor bike from Taunton to Glastonbury. On a good number of occasions I use to get 'buzzed' from a military helicopter very very low passing overhead. I'm sure they were doing this for fun in the early morning.

Eventually when I heard the helicopter above and behind me I gave a two finger salute and on occasions I got one back from the left side of cockpit. I'm sure they must have discussed at the pre flight briefing about winding me up.

Daz

Shack37
3rd Jun 2012, 16:10
Eventually when I heard the helicopter above and behind me I gave a two finger salute and on occasions I got one back from the left side of cockpit. I'm sure they must have discussed at the pre flight briefing about winding me up.

Of course they did, having nothing more important to talk about.

ehwatezedoing
3rd Jun 2012, 17:05
Here is one cute flyby told by a friend.

He was at his house just coming out of the pool when he heard:
"How's the water !?"
He looked left, right & behind trying to figure out who was talking to him.

Before realizing that was someone inside a hot balloon 20 feet above him!

:p

They were aiming for a landing in a field nearby, hence its silence.

Focks 2
3rd Jun 2012, 20:36

Another bloody tw*t is the last thing Milliband needs!

tyne
4th Jun 2012, 09:29
Speaking as a civvy who has a home on Wigtown Bay, you are more than welcome down my way.

On a couple of occasions I have posted on here to thank the guys invovled for the fly past.

Earlier this year there was an Albert running in and out of West Freugh. Good to see them at eye level running up the bay.

Long may it continue. For what it is worth, most people appreciate your appearance.

cornish-stormrider
4th Jun 2012, 09:49
I pay my taxes.
I want my flypasts and beat ups.

Seldomfitforpurpose
4th Jun 2012, 09:56
Can we have some or this low flying stuff over the Chippenham area....again....please...

Can we NOT!!!

Basil
4th Jun 2012, 12:57
Can we have some on the helicopter route over Marlow? Perhaps we'd get free double glazing from the MoD :)

Dengue_Dude
4th Jun 2012, 18:35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengue_Dude

But I respect the hell out of you . . . *How am I doing?

*Closing ranks, like the rest of them.

I vividly remember when flying low level that the sole topic of conversation was finding lone taxi drivers and scaring the BeJeezus out of them. I mean . . . what else could possibly interest you?

The reason I'm 'closing ranks' Avitor is that I was one. Then I look at comments from morons like you and wonder why we bother. What ARE you doing in a military aviation website . . . trolling?

DX Wombat
4th Jun 2012, 19:17
Don't get upset by him DD, h's possibly one of those twits who buys a house just off the end of the runway then plays merry hell about all the noise and inconvenience caused by those nasty, intrusive aircraft and pleading ignorance of the existence of the airfield (only built during WW1) before he bought his property. I wonder what he would say should a child of his be injured on duty in a hostile area and require airlifting out of the place but died, or was permanently, seriously damaged because the pilots of the aircraft appropriate for the situation didn't have the necessary skills to conduct the evacuation thanks to opinions such as his. :*
Carry on low flying ladies and gentlemen, it's great to be able to see just how skilled our RAF pilots are. You have my coordinates for the Burrow, feel free to use them for low flying practice as often as you like and if I'm at home I'll be out there cheering you on as will Bryn the Sheepdog. :ok:

Rovertime
4th Jun 2012, 20:56
One from back in March over St Marys Loch.
The shock of anything passing the hill I'm sitting on is always welcomed by me
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7071/6860784514_18a80f0dca_c.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ed_evans/6860784514/)
DSC_0867J (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ed_evans/6860784514/) by ed.evans75 (http://www.flickr.com/people/ed_evans/), on Flickr

Shack37
4th Jun 2012, 21:42
One from back in March over St Marys Loch.

No problem, I make that 152.5 feet altitude so well within low flying limits:ok:

Dengue_Dude
5th Jun 2012, 09:22
Bless you guys, thanks DX Wombat . . . I think my slip showed for a minute back there.

People like that really do piss me off and I should Know better.

Perhaps the baby could be called 'Buzz', or 'Albert' perhaps :E

Lightning Mate
5th Jun 2012, 10:41
Maybe a Jag pilot ran away with his houseboy

Oi - I resemble that remark! :\

ShyTorque
5th Jun 2012, 12:00
This thread has reminded me of being beaten up by a Puma sometime in the summer of '91 (possibly '92).

I was driving my new XR2, sunroof open, windows down and I think about 95mph (pushing 100) on the clock. I was on a section of road (probably the B390) a few miles past Stonehenge where a few feet to my right the farmers field drops away.

Pushing a 100 with the windows down in an XR2 generates a LOT of wind noise, with the stereo full on I am still not sure I could hear any music. Anyway given all that wind noise I still heard the rotors of the Puma and thought WTF is that. Glanced to by right to see a PUMA level with me!!! and maybe 2 rotor disc away.

This did ring a bell somewhat and I was going to apologise. But then you said the farmer's field dropped away and that the aircraft was level with you. I'd have been below you so it wasn't me... ;)

Bubblewindow
5th Jun 2012, 19:20
This Herc was 250ft above the main road below. I took this photo from a carpark on a forestry road. It's all relative.

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc315/machlooper/ac61a88f.jpg

The civvies in the village below this Herc in the Loop have some fantastical stories about low flying. After going here on busmans holidays over the past 11 years I've become friends with most of them and after many debates at the bar they've just about come to accept the purpose of low flying and the 'Rules' of the LFA .
I still get stories like the one recently from the local undertaker who said he seen a Chinook fly by his window level with him (his house is on the side of a mountain :ugh: !!) and he boiled with rage at how much he's pissed off!!!
Somehow I don't think his customers mind :p

BW

Dengue_Dude
5th Jun 2012, 19:49
Common misnomer. People often think it's only height when in fact it's MSD - minimum separation distance (to the uninformed) which amounts to a 'thou shalt not impinge upon' bubble around the aircraft. i.e. laterally as well as below.

However, if you're up the side of a hill and Albert et al is IN the valley, then you'll see it below you.

When we flew low level through Snake Pass in trail, we were looking up at the road. However, we were operating at 250' MSD, ergo, we were legal. I daresay each driver thought we were operating too low - probably where Avitor comes into the equation (unless he's just being a tw*t).

Additionally, there are certain designated areas where fixed wing can go to 150' MSD and helicopters to 50' MSD.

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing . . .

Herod
5th Jun 2012, 20:20
I remember a fighter affiliation exercise using the Wessex. Some farmer complained that the word "Michelin" was imprinted on one of his sheep. Not us...., we were using Firestones! ;)

Bubblewindow
5th Jun 2012, 20:43
Though Im an out and out Aerosexual I must admit that when the boys and gals from LN go 'Low Flayyy' in their Strike Eagles (seems more often than the RAF these days??) the noise footprint below them , though at 500ft, is unmercifull.

Even after 22 years working in/around military aircraft I was caught out by an F15E on an early morning flight in Wales. Packing the car boot outside the B+B the Mud Hen blasted directly over me instead of the usual hard bank around the hill. Frightened the bejesus out of me , Love it
:D
BW

ZeBedie
5th Jun 2012, 20:46
Reminds me of the way that 30 years or so ago the Buccaneers used to play chicken with trains on the West Coast Main Line over Tebay / Shap.

Electrification of the line was completed in 1974 and it was probably that which put a stop to it?

Davef68
5th Jun 2012, 23:35
I drive up and down that road all the time and I never see Hercs at low level over the road (or anything else these days... grumble grumble.....)

mad_jock
6th Jun 2012, 06:13
Its quite rare these days that you do see anything on this route. Maybe they only use it when they are doing a north south run to postion the aircraft.

Back in the 90's early 2000 there was alot more traffic both fast jet and other stuff.

Wensleydale
6th Jun 2012, 07:21
If you really wanted to be scared by low flying while driving.....

There used to be (maybe still there?) a falconry centre near Austwick in the Yorkshire Dales. One of the inmates was an Andean Condor called Carlos who used to be excercised over the cliffs to the north of the A65 (easier to launch him off a crag). His handler used to claim that Carlos enjoyed himself by chasing motorbikes along the road and caused a few near things. However, Carlos' best trick was to surf on the bow wave of large lorries heading towards Skipton. I am sure that his 9' wingspan caused a few heart flutters.

(The centre also had a bald eagle, but he was flown over a different area as he and Carlos did not get on).

W.

Milo Minderbinder
6th Jun 2012, 08:20
"There used to be (maybe still there?) a falconry centre near Austwick"

Its still there

500N
6th Jun 2012, 17:29
Avitor

I think you should look at the photos on this page.

Photo No 11 would look superb on a wall in your house
just to remind you of the great job the RAF do and if you
ever need to induce labour, then maybe show the lady
Photo No 11 and for good measure, the one of the Herc at 26 ?

Mach Loop, March. What happened to the weather... • FighterControl • Military Aviation Forum (http://www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=57271)

Bubblewindow
6th Jun 2012, 18:51
Sorry , I know its not a photo thread but maybe Avitor can frame this....

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc315/machlooper/ff0294e1.jpg

Or this , taken on 21st of May just gone....

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc315/machlooper/b0ed5174.jpg

Cheers,
BW

Bubblewindow
6th Jun 2012, 18:54
Mods: appologies if some photos are too wide . Away from base and editing via iPhone !!

BW

clicker
7th Jun 2012, 00:38
Regret to say I've only been the victim of low flying once, living in Sussex in a low flying restricted zone doesnt help.

That one time I was taking a break from driving and parked in a layby on the A15 when a Harrier GR7 came over. My next reaction was to look for others after grabbing the camera but he was on his own.

Later thought he might have just come off the ranges at Holbeach as I had heard a lone ship there only a little while before.

So anyone who attacked a blue suzuki alto in a layby on the A15 near Sleaford........Thanks

ScufferEng
8th Jun 2012, 09:35
Having spent several years flying low level in Albert and now a Train driver for Chiltern Railways;- I would request any fly pasts of my train to be extra low! :ok: so any time you are doing drops at Weston or flying anywhere along Chiltern mainline- use the RADALT!:).

Neil Amrose
8th Jun 2012, 20:05
As a happy hacker at Mid Sussex GC ( Ditchling East Sussex ) one is
used to the odd Chinook wandering past low level east to west or vice versa.
However about 6 weeks ago whilst lining up a second shot on 9th I was
what can only be described as transfixed as a Herc whooshed over my head
at great speed and at very very low height.It was an amazingly
exhilarating sight .I am not easily impressed by aviation feats having worked
at LGW for 40 years but that moment was total magic.

Wensleydale
9th Jun 2012, 08:15
Having spent several years flying low level in Albert and now a Train driver for Chiltern Railways;- I would request any fly pasts of my train to be extra low! http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif so any time you are doing drops at Weston or flying anywhere along Chiltern mainline- use the RADALT!http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/smile.gif.

Or indeed, Train Following Radar......

Fox3WheresMyBanana
9th Jun 2012, 13:21
Joe Public seems to be even more impressed by TOT than the low flying bit.
Though, of course, it rarely happens because you were never allowed to phone up a girlfriend with a time to the second when you would be over her garden.....

Shell Management
9th Jun 2012, 14:27
The RAF now say horse riders should wear high viz clothing: RAF Pilots Call for Riders to Wear High-visibility Gear - Horse & Hound (http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/news/397/312836.html)

As this is to aid the RAF's own risk mitigations, then teh RAF should be providing this PPE free of charge so as to to breach the H&SAW requirement that PPE is provided free.

BossEyed
9th Jun 2012, 14:30
Contrary as ever, S-M.

Some thoughts:

Who is taking the personal risk?
Is it up to the person taking the risk to mitigate it, or is that somebody else's responsibility?
Are there any other hazards that can be mitigated by a rider wearing hi-vis clothing?

Shack37
9th Jun 2012, 14:32
Joe Public seems to be even more impressed by TOT than the low flying bit.
Though, of course, it rarely happens because you were never allowed to phone up a girlfriend with a time to the second when you would be over her garden.....

Not fair, she should at least have a "heads up" to get the reserve b/f indoors.

Shell Management
9th Jun 2012, 14:32
No, the AOC is the 'Operator Duty Holder' and can be court matialled if risk is not tolerable and ALARP.

BossEyed
9th Jun 2012, 14:39
Yes, I do know that, thanks.

Is the taxpayer providing every horse rider in the country with a florescent tabard ALARP? I'd love to see that argument developed convincingly; I doubt it can realistically be so argued.

And what about when horse rider forgets/chooses not to wear tabard? What's the ODH to do?

Let's face it: The horse rider is the one at risk, as the H&H article describes well and fairly. A florescent tabard can be obtained for £1.99, and so avilability is not an issue. The only person who can ultimately mitigate the hazard via hi-viz is the horse rider.

Shack37
9th Jun 2012, 14:40
No, the AOC is the 'Operator Duty Holder' and can be court matialled if risk is not tolerable and ALARP.

And is the AOC also responsible for the hazard to vehicle traffic presented by the horse riders? The riders are the hazard, not the aircraft or ground traffic.

orca
9th Jun 2012, 14:40
I returned home one fine morning, having just quickly checked that Wales was still there, to the dreaded 'We've had a phone call.' After a quick chat with the low flying nazis I ended up speaking to a delightful gentleman who I had seen standing by his conservatory - so had offered a quick wing waggle by way of 'Good morning!'.

Turns out he wanted to know whence I came such that he could send me a cigar!

Shell Management
9th Jun 2012, 14:47
Horses startled by aircraft are an air safety risk that needs to be managed.

Unless you have an 'aircraft startled by horse' story:E

Orca - nice story.:)

Herod
9th Jun 2012, 15:50
Horse riders are encouraged to wear a hi-vis jacket because of the (greater) hazard of motor vehicles. It makes good common sense, which is why I wear distinctive and (in low vis, lit) gear when running. I get the impression a lot of horse riders are of the "I own the countryside" brigade, and refuse on principle.

Shell Management
9th Jun 2012, 15:53
The Horse and Hound article makes the point that not all riding involves transit across roadways. Its perhaps not natural to assume that aircraft will avoid people in high viz clothing!
If as the RAF say it is an essential risk mitigation to an aviation induced hazad then clearly the RAF need to do more than talk and actually issue high viz.

Lewis deLow
9th Jun 2012, 17:54
Mid '90s, tottering out of the Old Dungeon Ghyll Hotel in the Langdales (Lakes) at chucking out time, so dark not worth opening your eyes. We heard the sound of a Hercules approaching, it flew over us (just caught the shape) down the valley & we heard it pouring on the coal at the end of the valley as it flew up & over. The crew certainly earned their corn that night.

Sorry SM, too dark to estimate the height.

Dengue_Dude
9th Jun 2012, 20:36
Mid '90s, tottering out of the Old Dungeon Ghyll Hotel in the Langdales (Lakes) at chucking out time, so dark not worth opening your eyes. We heard the sound of a Hercules approaching, it flew over us (just caught the shape) down the valley & we heard it pouring on the coal at the end of the valley as it flew up & over. The crew certainly earned their corn that night.

Sorry SM, too dark to estimate the height.

In the late 80s, I guested with F Troop on a couple of occasions doing night low level, first time WITH NVG and second without . . . . err, interesting.

Yep, as far as I'm concerned they do 'earn their corn'.

Safe flight lads

wub
10th Jun 2012, 11:02
Been searching for this clip for a while:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4yOLH9IpTE

Windy Militant
10th Jun 2012, 11:22
Horse riders are encouraged to wear a hi-vis jacket because It makes it easier for the air ambulance to find them when they fall off and the horse goes home without them!:}

My dear old mum is deeply disappointed :( that she doesn't get to wave down at the Alberts these days.;)

PlasticCabDriver
10th Jun 2012, 12:20
Or you can just be an incredibly unlucky horse rider, as was the chap who was wearing a hi vis vest as we took a Puma formation over him at 50'. Unfortunately he was in the middle of an oilrape field in full flower and was utterly invisible! Didn't seem to trouble his horse though, and we received no complaint.