PDA

View Full Version : Emirates Airbus A380 Emergency Landing - Ottawa, Canada - June 1, 2012

MLHeliwrench
2nd Jun 2012, 04:08
Airbus makes emergency landing in Ottawa after diverting from Toronto

Airbus makes emergency landing in Ottawa after diverting from Toronto - The Globe and Mail (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/airbus-makes-emergency-landing-in-ottawa-after-diverting-from-toronto/article2450050/)

Passengers aboard an Emirates Airbus A380 arrived in Toronto more than five hours late Friday after an emergency landing at Ottawa Airport.
Ottawa Airport spokeswoman Krista Kealey says the plane was diverted from Toronto on Friday afternoon and the crew requested to land and the plane touched down safely shortly after 5 p.m. local time.
Ms. Kealey says it’s standard procedure to have emergency crews ready when an aircraft requests an unscheduled landing.
Ms. Kealey says she doesn’t know why the giant plane was diverted from Toronto, but says Ottawa is a designated diversion airport for Toronto bound aircraft.
The flight, which originated in Dubai, continued on to Toronto after refuelling and landed at Pearson International shortly after 9 p.m.
The airline refused to comment on the circumstances behind the emergency landing.
The airbus A380 is a double-deck, wide-body, four-engine plane that can carry about 500 passengers.

alph2z
2nd Jun 2012, 04:19
Nice looping and return back to yow after overflying it.

FlightAware > Emirates (EK) #241 > 01-Jun-2012 > OMDB-CYYZ Flight Tracker (http://flightaware.com/live/flight/UAE241/history/20120601/0555Z/OMDB/CYYZ)

atakacs
2nd Jun 2012, 05:24
Should we understand they where short on fuel ?

ST27
2nd Jun 2012, 06:10
A more detailed article stating they declared a fuel emergency can be found here:

Giant Airbus A380 resumes flight to Toronto after emergency landing in Ottawa (http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Giant+Airbus+A380+resume+flight+Toronto+after+emergency+land ing+Ottawa/6716968/story.html)

Note the tabs at the top of the article that link to various photos and a video of the aircraft at Ottawa. It's the first time an A380 has landed there.

Hotel Tango
2nd Jun 2012, 11:18
Coming into land, the airplane also attracted attention. Patrick Lewis, who was driving along Carling Avenue at the time, felt something was wrong when he saw the enormous plane with strange markings flying low over the city.

“A plane that size flying at such a low altitude didn’t look right,” he said. “It appeared to be almost gliding, because I couldn’t hear anything from my car. I’d never seen a plane on a flight path over Carling, and being 20 kilometres from the airport it looked very out of place.”

Lewis pulled into a Tim Hortons parking lot and sent a text to his wife about the strange sight as the plane passed low overhead in what he said looked like “slow motion.”

Judging by a nearby highrise, Lewis guessed the plane was only about 500 feet off the ground.

“It was low enough that I could read the markings,” he said. “It has a huge belly, it’s an enormous plane. I didn’t recognize the lettering right away, so I knew it wasn’t WestJet, Air Canada, or Porter — na typical plane that would land at our airport.”

Classic, absolute classic reporting of an expert witness!

crewmeal
3rd Jun 2012, 06:35
He must have been drinking Carling Black label:)