PDA

View Full Version : Turbine Text

rocket66
1st Jun 2012, 19:43
MOrning Chaps,

Just a quick one, for those of you that have done turbine endorsements, what text did you use to study whilst doing the rating and also where did you do the rating?

Cheers,

Rocket

Aimpoint
1st Jun 2012, 21:24
Rocket, there is no specific turbine endorsement, only a type endorsement for the aircraft.

rocket66
1st Jun 2012, 23:29
Thanks Aimpoint, the aircraft I need it for is a Caravan. Its engine is a PT6-114A. Is it specific on aircraft type, engine type or both??

Rocket

DropYourSocks
1st Jun 2012, 23:38
Two good reads I'd recommend are the Flight Safety International caravan training manual, and a book called Caravan, Cessnas swiss army knife with wings. Hope this helps.

Sox

j3pipercub
2nd Jun 2012, 00:30
So did you end up going North West rocket or did you join the McVinnish dark side?

rocket66
2nd Jun 2012, 01:24
Actually neither, unfortunately northwest was a 6 month contract and too far away. And the Mcvinnish darkside is not in need of organic lawn dart drivers yet.

I am however headed for the Whitsundays in July, I'll leave you to find which operator it may be and why I need to do start studying up on Vans:E

Rocket:ok:

Aimpoint
2nd Jun 2012, 01:42
I think J3 knows a thing or two about C208s - maybe he can send you some info :E

Piano Man
2nd Jun 2012, 04:00
Rocket66:

Wouldn't be an operator that has both DHC-2s and C208s that are painted red and white would it? :}

As for endo, the Caravan is a specific endorsement. Two types of engine, a 600SHP and a 675SHP. All covered in the training

mattyj
2nd Jun 2012, 05:13
Oooooh..caravan on floats you lucky bugger!! You don't need a left leg do you?
Enjoy

MakeItHappenCaptain
2nd Jun 2012, 06:32
As for endo, the Caravan is a specific endorsement. Two types of engine, a 600SHP and a 675SHP. All covered in the training

And soloy twin engine conversion (not flown after prototype), Garrett TPE331 (separate endorsement) and Blackhawk XP42A conversion (also PT6A).:}:8

rocket66
2nd Jun 2012, 19:47
Pianoman it could possibly be an operator that uses those colours!!! From your pics I see you have been around the action in Shute Harbour before. Never get sick of your pics!

Thanks for the info lads, I'm about to enquire with Seair on the Gold Coast for the endo even though I wont be doing the endorsement straight away. Rumour has it, it costs around the 5k mark.

MIHC was watching some youtube vids yesterday about the 900HP van with the TP331 in them. Pull the skin off a custard thats for sure!!!

Rocket:ok:

Jack Ranga
3rd Jun 2012, 00:20
unfortunately northwest was a 6 month contract

Bit too long for ya?

kalavo
3rd Jun 2012, 02:57
Rolls Royce - The Jet Engine is a good book

Oxford Aviation's Gas Turbine CBT is also great for covering what would have previously been in the BGT course as well.

TriMedGroup
3rd Jun 2012, 05:07
Have a chat to bolts at air whit about how he went about getting his endorsement before he started.

j3pipercub
3rd Jun 2012, 08:38
Air Whit? Really? I didn't think they took anyone with less than 500 water landings?

If you are going to contact Seair, be aware they normally only put a van on floats once or twice a year. If you're doing a wheel van endo, try and get a bit of ICUS up to LEI.

That Garrett van looks ok, wouldn't want to be too much outbase stuff with it though, especially without ground power...

j3

Stationair8
3rd Jun 2012, 09:20
There was some very good articles in the the Australian aviation magazine called Aircraft in 1988 written by Gordon Bransom, based around the
PT-6 in a Piper Cheyenne.

Good notes for first time turbine pilot, may be on the net or if you know somebody that collects aviation magazines.

American AOPA have done some articles on turbine engines as well, and also flight tested the Caravan, Conquest which can provide some good info as well.

Aimpoint
3rd Jun 2012, 09:39
Best bit of advice I received was that the TP331 likes to run rich of peak, whereas you should run the PT-6 lean of peak. Leaning the mixture in turbines can be quite difficult, make sure they show you how to do it properly. Make sure you use the carby heat too no matter the temperature outside - carby icing's a bitch!

TSIO540
4th Jun 2012, 08:05
My IAE V2533-A5 powered Jabiru needs carby heat all the time!