PDA

View Full Version : To all pilots offered a job at Emirates.

Minibus Man
1st Jun 2012, 18:34
Dear Ladies and Gentleman,
After being amused for a (long!) while reading the garbage written in another thread (EK380) on this forum, I have decided that I should set the record straight. Obviously what you are about to read is my opinion only, just like all the other different opinions on this site, but I think it would do no harm for you lot to be aware of "The Third Dimension" in this company, or, as some of the other kind would probably opt to call it, "The Turd Dimension".
I speak, of course, of the BEST fleet in Emirates - The A330, A340 fleet. Known by a variety of names, including the Minibus Fleet (hence my monicker), the Legacy Fleet, the Dark Side (originally afforded to the Cripple 7) and many others, some of which, in the interest of decency, I would not dare to write here.
The other thread seems to have degenerated into a mud slinging contest between the Super-iors and the Austronaughts (spelling intended). Very entertaining but possibly damaging to your perceptions, those of you who perhaps are offered the opportunity to join EK on the A330 but chose instead to turn it down, all because of the stuff written there.
So here are some of the reasons why, as already mentioned above, the A330/40 fleet is probably the best place to be, certainly as a new joiner:
1. The flight deck is comfortable, as are the seats. Join on to the 777 and say hello to back problems....
2. The pilot numbers on our fleet are slowly, but steadily, increasing. Numbers for the FOs are already quite good, meaning the workload is not too bad.
3. Yes there is night flying. There is also plenty of that on the Big Boys fleet. (Feel free to decide which fleet is the Big Boys - I'm sure that could cause a fresh slanging match between "the others"....mine's bigger than yours etc. etc.)
4. Especially for those of you with families, there is more time spent at home, if you wish it, due to the nature of the rosters.
5. The A330, 343 and 345 are all great aircraft to fly and they put the "more modern" 777 to shame in terms of Auto Flight systems etc. Which brings me to another point - I can't fathom why anyone would really care about reclining passenger seats, standard of In Flight Entertainment, Fuel Burn and Economics etc. when it comes to deciding which is the best aircraft to be on. Let's get this straight once and for all - we are paid to sit down in our flightdecks for hours on end every month. All I want is a comfortable chair (sheepskin covered in our case...) and good cockpit design to make my job a walk in the park. The A330/340 deliver.
6. The training department - great guys on the A330/40 side, from top to bottom. The Austronaughts? Don't get me started.
7. The Cabin Crew. Please understand that our mainline cabin crew fly both Boeing and A33/40. They all say that they prefer the Boeing for it's great galleys. But when it comes to pilots....again, don't get me started.....
And on the Super you get served crap food because the flight deck door opens to economy, with the nearest galley a mile away.
8. Which leads me to my final point. Join on the A330/40 fleet and you'll be flying with a bunch of great people. Huge mish-mash of backgrounds, accents, opinions and so on but all, and I really do mean all, pilots on our fleet are good fun to fly with. Makes going to work, whether to a lovely stay in Venice or a night turn to Hyderabad, much more pleasant than you could ever get on the other sides. Mind you, we did have some dodgy fellows before - they all (thank f***) moved across to the bigger, quieter, more economical, more desirable for passengers, more egotistical fleets.
And if you don't believe me, just look at some of the posts on the EK380 thread and decide for yourself.

Sorry, won't reply to any of the replies that will come in. This is a one night stand for me. Goodnight :E

Mango
2nd Jun 2012, 10:02
I just want to add a bit of weight behind what Minibus Man said.

1 true
2 true
3 true
4 true
5 true
6 true
7 true
8 true

I would also like to add that the 777 is a magnificent and awesome looking machine, I fly Airbus. Personally, if you are a pilot and aviation enthusiast all planes should be of interest. This EK Airbus/Boeing banter is purely that, team spirited banter. I hope at least!

Sheikh Your Bootie
2nd Jun 2012, 11:23
Well the trap has been set. Lets see who takes the bait. I reckon about 8.30pm DXB time, someone will bite.

SyB:zzz:

Ex Bus driver, now on the 777 with a bad back, but excellent lifestyle :ok:

givemewings
2nd Jun 2012, 11:54
Ok, I'll bite on one aspect...

Hate to break it to you but your 'crap food' on the 380 is standard crew meals, same as any fleet. They just happen to be stored in Y class because that's where there's room for them. And yes it is the closest galley to you. If you can't perchance get F or J food usually it's because the fare-paying pax wanted to eat the food they have paid for (how dare they!)

I just find it funny how there's so much complaining (from some) about how they 'miss out' on something that's not a given in the first place.

If you really hate the food that much, BYO, we're happy to heat it up for you ;) :ok:

As for the 'cabin crew'- I couldn't give a f$ck what I fly on as long as it gets me there in one piece. As a pax though, of course I'd pick one with a bar, who wouldn't? (Except maybe the teetotallers) I like planes so they all have their pros and cons from a 'geeks' point of view.

And pilots? Doesn't matter what fleet, I've met great guys and jerks on them all. The plane has nothing to do with it. If you're a d!ck, then you'll probably still be one when you change fleets (or maybe just get worse) -same goes down the back of course! :E

skyvan
2nd Jun 2012, 12:29
@givemewings : :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

donpizmeov
2nd Jun 2012, 15:10
Givemewings,

I see where your confusion lies. On the main fleet the extra PAX grub is shared between the cabin crew and the flight deck, and not devoured by the cabin crew only as happens on the 380. I guess this will be featured in the 5 day back to 777 course.
The 380 interior design is great for Pax, but ****e for crew. But what to do?

The Don

groundtoflightdeck
2nd Jun 2012, 15:38
Good career advice... Don't pick fleet by crew meals;)

Thanks minibus man. It's nice to hear something positive about the Airbus fleet. I would personally love to stay an airbus guy if I were able to join... I think there is a gem in those comments about the people on the airbus- id rather do red eye Baghdad turns with a great crew than 72hrs Los Angeles with a bad crew. Not to st anything about any other crews on different fleets- I know some great 777 guys... But the crew will make or break a pairing on an A380 or piper Navajo.

glofish
2nd Jun 2012, 15:59
Mind you, we did have some dodgy fellows before - they all (thank f***) moved across to the bigger, quieter, more economical, more desirable for passengers, more egotistical fleets

Great philosophy of one of our older skippers:

The one who pretends that all the old farts have gone, has just become one himself ..... :}

Iver
2nd Jun 2012, 16:49
Can someone comment on the 777 seats up front? Why are they so uncomfortable? For those who have flown both 777 and Airbus, what does the Airbus seat have that the 777 seat does not? How do you get a bad back? Unfortunately for me, I seem to have a 3-4 hour a$$ - probably not good for my longhaul aspirations...:{:}:mad:

Do you think the Boeing engineers got it right for the 787 this time?

Check Airman
2nd Jun 2012, 17:30
I'm not an EK pilot, but out of curiosity, why aren't you guys served first class meals on a first class airline? Not trying to start a fight, but on this side of the Atlantic, crews generally get fist class meals.

givemewings
2nd Jun 2012, 21:06
Where did I say that meals are not shared? I simply stated that the meals served onboard both fleets are crew meals which are entitled to the crew, anything else is a bonus. Of course we share extra F/J meals with the flight deck crew, by assuming otherwise you're just showing you have that "us vs them" fleet mentality that seems so prevalent these days, it's really quite sad as I took you for a more reasonable poster than that. I am always the first to offer any extras to the flight deck crew because I for one do not want a hungry, dizzy pilot up the front!

My point was if nothing is available there's really no complaining because there are still four meals for two pilots to choose from.

FYI the flight deck crew meals are J class meals anyway, the cabin crew meals are Y class meals. Where there's extra then we can eat once the pax have eaten. In cases where the pilots are not given extra meals, 99% of the time it's because there are none, not some stupid cabin crew conspiracy to feed ourselves and not 'them'. I suggest those flight deck who think so might want to bring their own coffee as well! :ok: :E

F class meals are 'dine on demand' for the pax therefore nothing can be eaten until the last pax has eaten or declined, usually at TOD and far too late to take anything to the cockpit, to answer the question.

Don, do you even fly A380? If not I politely suggest you check your facts first. I have never seen crew eat something that the pilots have asked for, unless of course it is the shellfish which they are not supposed to have anyway (this includes shrimp/prawn/lobster)

Check Airman
2nd Jun 2012, 23:10
Thanks. That makes sense. It's a shame CC only get econ meals though. The job is not easy.

givemewings
3rd Jun 2012, 00:38
Don't worry, I get enough to eat. More often then not there are J/F meals (for everyone!!) as lots of pax decide to eat in the lounge before boarding. Anyway, I prefer not to eat the onboard food and BYO. I would dare to say a few of my colleagues up the front end might benefit from the same, might save us some of that precious fuel :E

As for 'crew friendliness' that would be down to each crewmember. I've worked on Boeing and Airbus and personally I hate the layout of the 777- much prefer the A380 also because the pax seem to complain less and keep much quieter! But if you asked the crew next to me on the bus they'd probably say different. Just like 777 vs 330 vs 380 vs 340.... you could go forever through all 13,000+ employees and get very different answers and reasons...

In response to the original, at least you have some unique thoughts and reasons as to why AB doesn't suck... much better than just saying it does because it's AB/made by French/flies at night/has 2/4/10 engines and so on... ;)

The Dominican
3rd Jun 2012, 01:08
There is something that is common across all the different fleets at EK, they all have plenty of people that are full of ****

etops777
3rd Jun 2012, 01:44
There is something that is common across all the different fleets at EK, they all have plenty of people that are full of ****

Very well said:ok:

Gulfstreamaviator
3rd Jun 2012, 06:55
better for you than Prunes........glf

givemewings
3rd Jun 2012, 07:03
Beg your pardon, I believe the phrase used was "crap food" not "crap service" so I based my comments on that...

You also forget that technically speaking the FG1s are not supposed to use the stairs except for "essential flight deck service" which usually means delivering a meal tray and welfare checks not rounds of courses (IF no GR2s available)... not saying I agree with it but there are some pursers out there that strictly enforce the rules and from my observation there are far more of them on the whale fleet.

As for dates well it depends on who's offering, not many are worth bothering with...

Capt. Flamingo
3rd Jun 2012, 12:54
its getting hot in here...;)

givemewings
3rd Jun 2012, 21:21
Lol, no, since A380 crew apparently don't offer dates then there's no danger of that... :E /drift

NG_Kaptain
3rd Jun 2012, 23:59
delivering a meal tray and welfare checks
Things must be bad at EK if you get welfare checks (cheques:O)? Could use the extra cash here down south at the other unnamed, unmentionable UAE airline.

Seja
4th Jun 2012, 03:57
Work as a grade 2 only one day and you will understand why you don't get offered much of special treatment. It's not because we don't want to, it's because we pretty much don't find the time until after the first service. And if it's a LHR, CDG, FCO, KUL or whatnot by the time we put the last cart back to the galley we heat the oven for the next service = 30 mins time to eat something ourselves:)

h3dxb
6th Jun 2012, 16:59
Minibus Man , you have a catch :D

Now pull it in, wtf is White Knight ???? He will be the next one .......:ok:

givemewings
6th Jun 2012, 19:36
Lol Seja... last Euro flight I did it was literally finish parking the carts from Service #1 and out with carts for #2... even the passengers asked if we were serious.... ;) :O

I have noticed recently there seems to be a 'flight deck allergy' from some of the GR2's flat out refusing to go to the cockpit... which of course makes it more fun to shove a tray in their hands and make them go :E Common complaint is "I don't know what to talk about". I tell them, planes, boats or gadgets, you'll be right!!! :ok:

At the end of the day every fleet has its pros and cons, if someone is happy with their lots then why the endless bashing/telling people they're delusional....? One does not have to be crazy to enjoy their lot in life. Believe it or not, some guys are happy on A330, just as some may hate 777 or A380... how about you all just live and let live...

ironbutt57
7th Jun 2012, 03:40
Interest RE the 777 flight deck seats, had more than one colleague on the 767/757 develop problems as well, and a bit of research determined it was poor seat vertical positioning which resulted in the pilot developing a poor posture while peering over/through the control yoke...although the PFD/ND were in a vertical, rather than a horizontal arrangement ala 777, it might be a factor in that airplane...I must admit, I find the 'bus flight deck arrangement more comfortable, (except for the crap lighting and ventilation) too bad the rest of the airplane is lacking...

White Knight
9th Jun 2012, 20:41
Now pull it in, wtf is White Knight ???? He will be the next one .......

Next to do what young fellaH???:eek::eek: